Thread: Nintendo Direct

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Nintendo Direct

I've been trying to decide for awhile now if there is need for a thread dedicated to Nintendo Directs, or if I should just post this stuff in the yearly release thread when I see it. If you aren't aware, a few years back Nintendo changed how it got its information to its fans by making semi-regular Youtube presentations dedicated to showing off their upcoming games, as well as sometimes announcing new ones.

If you have an opinion on this let me know, but for now I'm going to talk about the latest Direct in this thread and see where it takes me.

09/13/2017

Spoiler for everything shown or talked about:

Ripped straight from their own video summary.

0:16 - Yoshiaki Koizumi introduces Nintendo Direct
    0:40 - Pokémon Ultra Sun & Pokémon Ultra Moon
    3:42 - Poké Ball Edition New Nintendo 2DS XL
    3:58 - Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
    4:52 - Kirby: Battle Royale
    5:38 - Kirby 25th Anniversary Copy Ability Poll
    5:52 - Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters and Oni Evolution
    6:37 - Layton's Mystery Journey
    7:11 - Minecraft for Nintendo 3DS Family of Systems
    7:49 - Mario Party: The Top 100
    8:35 - Metroid: Samus Returns
    9:12 - ATLUS RPGs Journey to the West
    10:02 - Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
    10:09 - Fire Emblem Warriors for Nintendo 3DS Family of Systems
    10:19 - New Nintendo 2DS XL Orange & White Edition
    10:46 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    18:48 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Special Edition Version & Pro Controller
    19:12 - Splatoon 2 Updates
    20:10 - Fire Emblem Warriors
    21:08 - Snipperclips Plus: Cut it Out, Together!
    22:04 - Morphies Law
    23:01 - Rocket League
    23:49 - Arena of Valor - Nintendo Switch MOBA
    24:39 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    25:46 - DOOM & Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
    26:22 - Flip Wars
    27:08 - Arcade Archives Mario Bros.
    27:59 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Champions amiibo
    28:24 - NBA 2K18 | WWE 2K18 | FIFA 18 | Pokkén Tournament DX
    29:28 - Project Octopath Traveler (Working Title)
    34:11 - ARMS Ver. 3 Update
    34:56 - Dragon Quest Builders
    35:49 - Kirby Star Allies
    36:44 - Downloadable Fun in Nintendo eShop
    37:29 - Lost Sphere | Sonic Forces | Resident Evil | LA Noire
    38:29 - Super Mario Odyssey
    45:18 - Super Mario Odyssey Edition Nintendo Switch, Joy-Con, and Carrying Case

The overall highlights were Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Super Mario Odyssey, and Project Octopath Traveler. Surprise announcements include a collection of Mario Party games, as well as Doom and Wolfenstein coming to Switch. This is notable because Nintendo always has trouble courting third parties for multiplatform games. I also find it somewhat amusing that Tencent is making a MOBA for Switch.

The new Mario looks amazing. I'm still not sold on Xenoblade but the info dump is appreciated. They still swear it's coming out this year and gave a release date for December 1st. I'll probably make a thread for Octopath Traveler.

Stand alone videos.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: Nintendo Direct

People have been eagerly anticipating a new Direct from Nintendo this month to give clarity on what we can expect later this year, and they finally released one. After Bayonetta 2 got announced at The Game Awards I was expecting a lot of ports to help fill out their catalog, but these weren't the games I was expecting to see ported.

The whole thing was only 15 minutes long, but I'll post what I think are the highlights. Keep in mind this was a direct almost exclusively for Switch games.

New Games:

Mario Tennis Aces - New tennis game with a single player mode this time.
    Kirby Star Allies - I think this was previously announced. Release date in March.

Wii U Ports:

Hyrule Warriors Definitive Version: Includes all the content from both previous versions of the game.
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: Includes a new surfer Kong character to play as.

Other Games:

Dark Souls Remastered: This is also coming out on every other platform, but this was the first I had heard of it.
    The World Ends with You -Final Remix-: Includes a bonus chapter as well as what looks like updated HD graphics.
    SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy - Shared release with PS4. A fighting game with only SNK lady characters. Doesn't look great, I think SNK is getting desperate.

No mention of their new Yoshi game, which leads me to believe they are setting it up to be their "big" game this year and will show it more at E3. The two ports above also had 3DS versions. I fully expect Switch versions of Smash Brothers and Mario Maker to also be announced this (or next I guess) year. I hope for a port of 3D world but am less sure they will do it.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

New Direct today talking about both 3DS and Switch games. Sticking to the pattern and just going to mention highlights, rather than every game announcement.

The big thing they did was finally announce Smash Bros for Switch. It was just a teaser though; we don't even know if it's a new game or the more probable port of the previous version. The fact that they did not outright tell us that it was the Wii U version makes me believe they are withholding information in order to make this their big E3 game this year. At the very least we can expect them to hold a tournament for it.

This was another direct mostly about ports and remakes.

Luigi's Mansion remake for 3DS
    Captain Toad ported to both Switch and 3DS
    Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story ported to 3DS, with an additional story mode included

To my surprise, Captain Toad (and possibly Smash) are the only Wii U ports. I expected more. They did announce Switch versions of games that came out on other platforms last year though, including South Park and Crash Bandicoot of all things. Crash Bandicoot used to be a Sony mascot, but I guess is technically owned by Activision. I still remember those commercials with a guy dressed up like Crash Bandicoot standing outside a Nintendo office building and shouting at how much Mario sucks.

Only a few new games, with the most notable being Warioware on the 3DS. Splatoon is also getting a single player campaign expansion. They also gave more details (including a few release dates) on previously announced games: Mario Tennis, Travis Strikes Again, Kirby Star Allies, Octopath Traveler, Hyrule Warriors, etc.

03/08/2018 - Full Video

Tasty Danish

A good Smash Bros and Mario Kart for the Switch MIGHT get me to buy one.
    I'm more pumped about the "Mario Kart coming to iPhone" announcement, really. Going to play the CRAP out of that on my train commute.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Did you ever get a Wii U? The Switch already has a Mario Kart game ported from the Wii U with additional content. There is a fair chance that Smash is getting the same treatment. If you do end up getting one you should probably look into Splatoon as well as the various Mario sports titles. They seem to have crossover fanbases, leading me to believe they scratch similar itches.

Cross your fingers on the iPhone version. Nintendo games on phones have been hit or miss so far. Pretty competent overall but each one has ultimately disappointed its series biggest fans. While not overtly stated they sort of feel like "yeah this is alright, but if you want the real good stuff come over here".