Perhaps not so much news of the weird as news of the ill-advised:

Poor Injured Hiker Subjected To Nightmarish Helicopter Rescue From Hell

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Re: News of the Weird Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bonlainy View Post
    Arguably can be considered weird or not weird, but still worth a post:

https://themindcircle.com/anti-lego-...OyXeqnlAYwPYao
    Applying to test those is a really mixed idea for me.

I'd love to know they work, but I'd never willingly step on my own legos. Some of them have been around since the 80's.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Well.. 74 is the new 64. And hiking is good stuff for health.

My pops just backpacked Patagonia at the age of 77, is 79 now, and plans to backpack across siberia starting in or around the gobi desert when he turns 80.

*just watched the air lift video. That is fucking nuts. I would have been puking and then passed out.
    Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; June 4th, 2019 at 10:46 PM.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick ap'Milandra View Post
    Applying to test those is a really mixed idea for me.

I'd love to know they work, but I'd never willingly step on my own legos. Some of them have been around since the 80's.
    HA! I'm with you on that. Willingly stepping on a lego, even if you are supposed to be protected, is scary stuff.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Entropy happens

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
    Well.. 74 is the new 64. And hiking is good stuff for health.

My pops just backpacked Patagonia at the age of 77, is 79 now, and plans to backpack across siberia starting in or around the gobi desert when he turns 80.

*just watched the air lift video. That is fucking nuts. I would have been puking and then passed out.
    My first thought was: "well, she stroked out for sure".

Chaotic Good

I heard this one on NPR today. The wasp expert was saying that the large nests are normal, but early and numerous this year, likely due to a lack of a good freeze last winter.

Elder Arcanist

Another one from Florida...

A high school principal is reassigned after writing that he couldn't say the Holocaust was 'a factual, historical event'

(CNN) — The principal at a Florida high school is being reassigned to a position with the school district after revelations that he wrote emails to a parent that seemed to cast doubt on the historical veracity of the Holocaust.

"It is out of an abundance of concern and respect for the students and staff of Spanish River Community High School that School District Administration has decided to reassign Principal William Latson effective immediately," the School District of Palm Beach County wrote in a statement.

In April 2018, a parent reached out to William Latson, the principal at Spanish River Community High School in Boca Raton, with a question about how the school handles the Holocaust in its curriculum.

"I can't say the Holocaust is a factual, historical event because I am not in a position to do so as a school district employee," Latson responded, according to the school district.

The Palm Beach Post published the excerpts from the emails on Friday after obtaining them via an open records request.

According to the paper, Latson went on to write, "Not everyone believes the Holocaust happened. And you have your thoughts, but we are a public school and not all of our parents have the same beliefs."

However, the school district said Latson's email wasn't just "offensive," it was totally out of step with its education efforts, adding that the system is and always has been "working diligently to be a leader in mandatory Holocaust education for students in grades K-12."

"The District's curriculum is based on historical fact," the statement added.

CNN has filed a public information request and reached out to Latson as well as the district for further comment.

In a statement to the Palm Beach Post, Latson said, "I regret that the verbiage that I used when responding to an email message from a parent, one year ago, did not accurately reflect my professional and personal commitment to educating all students about the atrocities of the Holocaust."

The school district said it "counseled" Latson "about the choices he made in responding" to the parent's emails and instructed him to "further expand" his school's Holocaust curriculum.

Latson traveled to Washington to visit the US Holocaust Museum and learn more about the mass genocide perpetrated by the Nazi regime that took the lives of 6 million Jews in Europe.

But district officials still felt that Latson's words were causing a "major distraction for the school community," and they moved to place him in a new role.

"Every generation must recognize, and learn from, the atrocities of the Holocaust's incomprehensible suffering and the enduring stain that it left on humankind," Palm Beach County school board Chairman Frank Barbieri Jr. said in a statement.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

The Heath Ledger Joker's pencil trick really works:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/946289...l-straw-poole/

Elder Arcanist

How A Grocery Store's Plan To Shame Customers Into Using Reusable Bags Backfired

Public shame.

That's the tactic one Canadian grocery store used to get customers to ditch single-use plastics and instead utilize reusable shopping bags.

Shoppers who didn't bring their own bags to East West Market in Vancouver, British Columbia, left with groceries in plastic bags that read "Wart Ointment Wholesale," "Into the Weird Adult Video Emporium" or "The Colon Care Co-Op."

For store owner David Kwen, the bags evolved out of wanting to bring more awareness to reducing consumption — in a humorous way.

Kwen printed the eyebrow-raising slogans on the bags with the assumption that people would be embarrassed to carry them, he told Here & Now's Robin Young. In a post on Instagram, the grocery store said, "It's hard to always remember a reusable bag. We redesigned our plastic bags to help you never forget again!"

But the scheme backfired.

People began flocking to the market, paying 5 cents each in hopes of collecting the designs.

Although the bags were meant to force customers to think twice about their plastic consumption — smaller text on the bags read, "Avoid the shame. Bring a reusable bag" — Kwen wasn't defeated by the attention his plan got.

"The underlying thing is that it creates conversation, and that's what we actually wanted to get across to the general public," he says.

He decided to capitalize on all the excitement by giving his idea an eco-friendly spin. East West Market will soon have canvas tote bags with the humorous designs printed on the front.

And now is the perfect time for Kwen to promote a message of sustainability. Less than 10% of plastic used in Canada gets recycled. Canadians will throw away an estimated $8.3 billion worth of plastic materials each year by 2030 without a change in course, the government said in a recent statement. Following in the footsteps of the European Union, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced in early June that Canada will ban single-use plastics as early as 2021.

In his personal efforts, Kwen still believes in using comedy to hammer the point home.

"If you talk to people in a nice, humorous way, I think they listen," Kwen says.

Elder Arcanist

Mom arrested for driving with kids on top of SUV in inflatable pool | The mother told police her daughters rode inside of the empty pool to hold it down.

A mother was arrested for having her two daughters ride in an inflatable pool on the top of her car, police said.

A concerned citizen called police on Tuesday after seeing children on top of a moving vehicle in Dixon, Illinois, and officers conducted a traffic stop to speak to the driver, who was driving a white Audi Q5.

Jennifer A. Janus Yeager, 49, was arrested on two counts of endangering the health or life of a child and two counts of reckless conduct, Dixon police said.

"During the course of the investigation it was learned that Yeager drove into town to inflate the pool at a friends’ house and had her two juvenile daughters ride inside of the empty pool to hold it down on their drive home," police said.

Yeager was taken to the Dixon Police Department and posted bond.

Dixon police later tweeted an image of the SUV with the pool, saying, "Having your children sit in an inflatable pool on top of your car while driving will get you arrested."

There is no number listed for Yeager through public records and it is unclear whether she has a lawyer.

I honestly expected a trailertrash mobile, but yet I am not shocked at all to see an Audi. My question is why not put the pool inside, She had an SUV. if you can afford an Audi you can afford a 12v air pump, deflate the pool, stick in car, inflate where you were going to use it.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Mangina at large.

Clearly they were trying to make snake squeezins.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    Clearly they were trying to make snake squeezins.

haha! +1 Rep for "Wasteland" reference

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Bizarre that someone felt the need to cheat at chess (there isn't really that much money to be had from being No. 53 in the world, is there?):

https://nypost.com/2019/07/13/chess-...ng-tournament/

And creepy that they took a photo of said cheating:

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    Bizarre that someone felt the need to cheat at chess (there isn't really that much money to be had from being No. 53 in the world, is there?):

https://nypost.com/2019/07/13/chess-...ng-tournament/

And creepy that they took a photo of said cheating:
    And why is his pants leg pushed up like that? I think there is more going on here than mere cheating at chess.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Joker?

OCRegister: Man in green wig leads CHP on pursuit from Orange County to the sand of Venice Beach.
    http://www.ocregister.com/man-in-gre...f-venice-beach