Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

X4

I unno. It looks like Rebirth Redone.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Re: X4

No, it's a return to the previous X games which weren't a bloody disaster like Rebirth was
    Rebirth had lots of cool ideas/potential but...it sucked :/
    X3 Albion Prelude was awesome, really it was end result of Egosoft AND fans/mod makers paring away to get something really complex and great
    But Rebirth screwed the pooch in several ways, alas

hopefully this X game will be good but I bet it takes 6+ months after release for fans ot fix problems and make mods that really make it fun, lol
    When the Old Guard dies,
    The cowards in the shadow rise,
    Their vile plots of cowardice and greed,
    Poison the land and nightmares arise,
    To terrorize and murder the common man.

(and as usual, please forgive typos and crankiness if possible)

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

X4: Foundations releases November 30th.

$50 standard, $75 including a unique paint job, the first two expansions, digital artbook, novel, and soundtrack

7 minutes of gameplay and commentary

I realize I'm double-posting this but I'd forgotten I started a thread for it last year.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

So yeah, it's a beautiful mess (not unlike No Man's Sky at launch minus all the hype).

It has the same steep learning curve as other X games, if you've never played one (as evidenced by the 2-3 X-newbie streamers I watched over the weekend) but it's also ridden with bugs. A 1.1 patch came out mid-Saturday that fixed some problems but there are still dozens of threads on the official forums not to mention the subreddit for the game mentioning all kinds of bizarre AI problems (such as autotraders not selling intelligently).

My i7-940 rig with 2GB GTX750Ti barely handles it (which makes sense, because I'm actually below minimum requirements). I average 35-40fps in space and during small battles, but drop to 25-ish on stations. Also I have to repeatedly exit/reopen the game about every hour or so due to texture corruption. This is the first modern game I've been unable to play completely successfully. Not bad for an 11-year old rig that has been frankensteined for upgrades.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

I REALLY enjoyed X 3 Albion prelude

dunno how this will compare since they made a complete cluster *** with the game in between, sigh
    but if it's more like the rest of the X series it will be pretty "dense" and difficult to get into, but awesome once you appreciate the depth...and the gorgeous space visuals

also the series had truly superb music for my tastes

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Have a small (30 ship) mining fleet and just as many traders but even though the recent 1.32 patch boosted raiding party attacks the economy in my game is pretty stagnant and I don't have the cash (or blueprints) to be building stations to make up the difference.
    So I'm shelving this for a few weeks until patch 1.5 hits and I'll start anew.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Mileron
    the X games always sucked when first released it was usually fan mods which massively improved it, until in very last ones like Albion Prelude the mods became part of the official game or official add ons (with creators recognition)

Albion Prelude was bloody STUNNING, truly awesome imho