Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump & North Korea

Forum Arcanist

Re: Trump & North Korea

This *will* hurt a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if Pompeo any member of Trump's cabinet lasts the year if the North Korea "talks" go to shit
    Occam's razor and stuff.
    "Better an honest enemy than a shitty friend that's robbing you blind."

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    Talks suspended.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/15/polit...lls/index.html

Doesn't seem like it will last, but who knows with this whackjob.
    Not surprised in the least... Trump seemed to be one of the few people who actually believed that the talks would go off anyway. There is no way Kim Jong Un is going to give up whatever progress he has made on his nuclear program. That was just too far fetched to be believable.

I wonder if NK waited until Trump set the actual time and place, then decided to pull out in an attempt to make Trump look bad?

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Khieran View Post
    Not surprised in the least... Trump seemed to be one of the few people who actually believed that the talks would go off anyway. There is no way Kim Jong Un is going to give up whatever progress he has made on his nuclear program. That was just too far fetched to be believable.

I wonder if NK waited until Trump set the actual time and place, then decided to pull out in an attempt to make Trump look bad?
    He really doesn't need any help. Plus NK got the perfect excuse because of the joint military training.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Khieran
    Not surprised in the least... Trump seemed to be one of the few people who actually believed that the talks would go off anyway.
    When I said "doesn't seem like it will last", I was talking about Kim's hissy fit, not the talks. I think those will happen, maybe without the amount of progress Trump would like, but they will happen. Kim is mercurial, but I think he sees this as the only way forward for his collapsing state where he doesn't end up getting the Saddam Hussein treatment. It's just going to take forever, because both he and Trump are notoriously thin-skinned. South Korea's PM must wake up every day and think "FML" when he sees the latest crap those two have pulled, crap that directly impacts the future of his nation.

Mangina at large.

They're not even mad with Trump; it's Bolton that has them pissed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44158566

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

South Korea's PM must wake up every day and think "FML" when he sees the latest crap those two have pulled, crap that directly impacts the future of his nation.
    Maybe this is the reason why both parties in the process can get the Nobel Peace Prize. What they really want to do is give it to the person who was able to work with large children, but if they single that person out said children will go back to behaving like children.

Lost Bard
    Even More Lost Bard

Trump pulls out of North Korea summit

He said he had made the decision based on the "tremendous anger and open hostility" in a recent North Korean statement.

Mr Trump said it would be "inappropriate" to hold the summit as scheduled in Singapore on 12 June.

In a letter to Mr Kim, he said he was very much looking forward to meeting him "some day".
    I wonder if this means they're going to melt down the commemorative coins the white house office for that sort of thing already had made for it.

Elder Arcanist

I love that he brags about the size of our arsenal in his letter... so "Trump"

Mangina at large.

"You didn't break up with me. I broke up with you!"

Forum Arcanist

Standard Art Of The Deal stuff. Lets see where it stands in 6 months.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    Standard Art Of The Deal stuff.
    Indeed:

Quote Originally Posted by The guy who actually wrote Art of the Deal
    “Trump has a morbid fear of being humiliated and shamed. This is showing who’s the biggest and the strongest, so he is exquisitely sensitive to the possibility that he would end up looking weak and small. There is nothing more unacceptable to Trump than that.” — Tony Schwartz, co-author of The Art of the Deal

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Summit cancellation winds up crashing White House's online gift shop:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...211868664.html

Thing is here I am going to lay some blame to both sides. Trump for being Trump and Kim for being Kim. I am not sure how to weight it since both are huge egomaniacs who never want to look like they are the one who flexed for the deal.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

When I learned that Trump cancelled the talks right after Kim had the media event demolishing his "testing facility" I did laugh pretty hard. That's some entertaining political theatre if nothing else.

Forum Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    You know well what I mean. Here's from the man himself- https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...42226492674048

But- "In August 2017, Schwartz predicted Trump would resign, saying "Trump's presidency is effectively over. Would be amazed if he survives till end of the year. More likely resigns by fall, if not sooner."" Given his stellar analysis and predictive abilities you'll pardon me if I'm not 100% sold on his opinions... Plus the man is a full-blown anti-Trumper, so his impartiality is a tad suspect. He cited Fire and Fury as a credible source, for fucks sake.

Lets give it a little while to see if Kim comes back, shall we? The pro-Trump crowd say that Kim will sooner or later say "unauthorized statement, didnt mean it, that guy spoke out of turn and has been dealt with, lets carry on with the meeting". 1-2 cancellations before it actually goes through have been predicted, after all, as Kim tries the traditional NK tricks to gain advantage or concessions. Lets see if theyre right.
    Last edited by VariaVespasa; May 25th, 2018 at 01:41 AM.

Mangina at large.

Despite how it looks (and I agree with the PPatty linked quote), I think that this is a fair negotiating tactic by the U.S. Establishes ground rules for conduct, that the U.S. is in charge, and rubs in to Kim that he already gave concessions and is currently getting nothing in return. That last part, more than anything else, could drag a narcissist like Kim back to the table - takes one to know one. The only line in the letter that bothers me is the "our nukes are mighty" one, which looks randomly inserted into the text and seems like unnecessary brinkmanship.

I guess saying how awesome our nukes are is the biggest phallus Trump has to wave at Kim. Its not like the Cold War where we could wave the Saturn V at the soviets and be "Hows that N-1 working out for ya".
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

Despite how it looks (and I agree with the PPatty linked quote), I think that this is a fair negotiating tactic by the U.S. Establishes ground rules for conduct, that the U.S. is in charge, and rubs in to Kim that he already gave concessions and is currently getting nothing in return. That last part, more than anything else, could drag a narcissist like Kim back to the table - takes one to know one. The only line in the letter that bothers me is the "our nukes are mighty" one, which looks randomly inserted into the text and seems like unnecessary brinkmanship.
    The thing is, Trump should have never agreed to the meeting in the first place. Summits like this take months, or years, to get set up correctly. There's a lot of groundwork that needs to be done first before the two leaders ever sit down together. Trump's "fly by the seat of his pants" methods have caused him more turmoil, but hey, I guess if it gets the media talking about something other than Mueller for a few hours, it's worth it?

Mangina at large.

I can agree that he shouldn't be in the room when the negotiations happen, if only because his Godfather-style negotiation tactics could backfire spectacularly. But I feel like the groundwork for talks between North and South Korea directly has been laid, and that's what needs to happen. Park Grandpa in front of "Fox and Friends" while the people who need to move forward talk.