Thread: August '17 Release Thread

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

August '17 Release Thread

August is here and the summer drought is over. Not only are games starting to release again, but this month seems particularly excessive. Luckily it's almost all B tier stuff, with most of the heavy hitters still due later this year, but there is still a lot of stuff to talk about and a lot to look forward to.

Aside from the obvious yearly Madden release, nothing really strikes me as a dominant release this month. Agents of Mayhem would like to be, but I have my doubts that it will garner much attention. I'm sure most haven't even heard of it. It's an open world action adventure spinoff to the Saints Row series. The distinguishing mechanic in this one is a system where you select up to three characters (out of 12) to take on a mission, and swap between them on the fly. Marketing and word of mouth is likely to make or break this one.

Other notable multiplatform releases this month include Sonic Mania and Absolver. The former is a classic 2D Sonic game made by fans that seems to be getting a lot of positive feedback, and the latter is an action rpg built around martial arts. I actually have my doubts regarding Absolver, but am giving it a nod because I haven't seen a game attempt this since Jade Empire.

As far as platform exclusives go, Nintendo has a big one with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, the Mario turn based strategy game from Ubisoft. I'm honestly not sure just how much those two audiences mix, but I do think it's going to help sell Switches.

Microsoft's Xbox shares a couple exclusives with the PC this month, with the most notable in my mind being Tacoma. This is made by the people who made Gone Home, and they have seemed to put extra development time into raising this up from its walking simulator roots. From what I've seen, you explore a space station and witness echoes/logs of past events in order to deduce what happened. What I find interesting about this is that while you are watching one conversation, another is taking place somewhere else, with all the different characters intersecting on various paths. By re-watching events from different points of view, you start to have a better understanding of what is going on.

PS4 is a little nuts with exclusives this month. They've got two big ones exclusive to their console: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Yakuza Kiwami. This spinoff Uncharted adventure stars Chloe from 2 and 3, and Nadine from 4. Uncharted 4 added a couple larger environments, and from the sounds of it this one adds onto that further while also changing how treasures and weapon pickups work.

Yakuza meanwhile, is a remake of the first game in the series. This series was a cult classic in previous generations, never quite getting the recognition it probably deserved. Half the time not even getting released outside of Japan. But in recent years it has exploded in popularity, partially due to Atlus and Sony acknowledging fan demand and localizing the games, and partially due to increased exposure from streamers and other internet personalities. In short, these are action adventure crime dramas that focus on beat-em up style brawling instead of shooting or driving like GTA.

But that's not all, the PS4 is also sharing a couple releases with the PC this month, with the most notable being Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. This game is being developed by the same people who made Enslaved and Heavenly Sword, so you can expect pretty amazing motion capture. I don't know much about the game itself, only that it is attempting to tackle tricky topics such as mental health and is adopting a few things from nordic and celtic mythology. This game has had almost no exposure lately, and I'm a little worried about it. It's getting a discounted price of $30, which seems crazy to me but I won't complain.

And even on top of all of that, there are a ton of smaller releases also for the platform. Patapon Remastered and Everybody's Golf being the ones that will probably resonate with the most people. Patapon being one of the only PSP games people actually liked and remember fondly, and Everybody's Golf being the newest entry in the Hot Shots Golf series, Everybody's Golf being the Japanese name.

Finally, the big release on PCs this month is Lawbreakers, which shares a release with the PS4. This is the new competitive arena based shooter from Cliff Blezsinski that seeks to eat Overwatch's lunch by recapturing the glory days of mp Doom, UT, Quake, etc.

Less of a hot topic, but perhaps worth noting is a real time strategy game set during World War 2 called Sudden Strike 4. I've never heard of this series, but gameplay looks legit. Edit: Apparently even this is coming out on PS4. Like rts but would rather replay something old rather than get something new? Starcraft Remastered is also due this month.

And last and most certainly least, for some reason Night Trap is being re-released on PC and PS4. See what had Congress all in a tizzy in the 90s.

Want more? Check the tag below for all the things I didn't highlight, and let us know about all the interesting things I probably missed.

Spoiler for August Releases:

PC
    • Tacoma (August) - adventure
    • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (August) - action adventure
    • Lawbreakers (August) - first person shooter/competitive
    • Sudden Strike 4 (August) - WW2 rts
    • Night Trap 25th Anniversary (August) - FMV
    • Nidhogg 2 (August) - local competitive multiplayer
    • Hello Neighbor (August) - survival horror
    • White Day: A Labyrinth Named School (August) - survival horror
    • Warriors All-Stars (August) - hack and slash action crossover
    • Starcraft Remastered (August) - rts

Multiplatform
    • Agents of Mayhem (August) - action adventure
    • Sonic Mania (August) - classic platformer
    • Madden NFL 18 (August) - sports
    • ARK: Survival Evolved (August) - survival/crafting and dinosaurs
    • Life is Strange: Before the Storm (August) - adventure
    • The Escapists 2 (August) - strategy
    • Absolver (August) - action rpg
    • The Pillars of The Earth Book (August) - episodic adventure

PS4
    • Patapon Remastered (August) - rhythm adventure
    • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (August) - third person shooter
    • Yakuza Kiwami (August) - action adventure remake
    • Everybody's Golf (August) - sports
    • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (August) - action adventure
    • Lawbreakers (August) - first person shooter/competitive
    • Night Trap 25th Anniversary (August) - FMV
    • Cities: Skylines (August) - city building
    • Matterfall (August) - sidescrolling shooting
    • Nidhogg 2 (August) - local competitive multiplayer
    • Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition (August) - crpg
    • Windjammers (August) - sports
    • Resident Evil Revelations (August) - survival horror
    • White Day: A Labyrinth Named School (August) - survival horror
    • Warriors All-Stars (August) - hack and slash action crossover

Xone

• Tacoma (August) - adventure
    • Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition (August) - crpg
    • Hello Neighbor (August) - survival horror
    • Resident Evil Revelations (August) - survival horror

VITA
    • Windjammers (August) - sports

Nintendo Switch
    • Sonic Mania (August) - classic platformer
    • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (August) - turn based strategy

Last edited by Wool; July 30th, 2017 at 09:10 PM.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: August '17 Release Thread

You guys interested in any of this month's offerings? As for me, it might be easier to list all the things I'm not interested in.

Top of my own personal list is Mario + Rabbids. I like Mario and I like XCOM. I can tolerate Rabbids for the sake of the other two. But alas, no Switch, and I'm still not sure when I will get one.

Uncharted is almost a guaranteed buy from me, but I'll probably wait and see how Hellblade turns out and get one of the two of them. As much as I hype up Yakuza, I haven't gotten around to the series yet myself. I do intend to, just not yet.

I want to try Lawbreakers, I don't want to seriously play Lawbreakers. I'm just not that into multiplayer games.

I'll almost certainly get Starcraft Remastered. They actually released the base game for free, and all this does is add expanded support and updated sounds/graphics, but it's also only $15.

Free games from both services are good this month. Just Cause 3 is a huge deal for me, but the Xbox offerings aren't bad either.

PS+

PS4
    Just Cause 3
    Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry
    PS3
    Super Motherload
    Snakeball
    Vita
    Downwell (PS4)
    Level 22

Games with Gold

Xone
    Slime Rancher
    Trials Fusion
    Bayonetta
    Red Faction Armageddon

Trailers: A few at the end are reposts from E3 threads, not having new launch trailers yet.

Last edited by Wool; July 30th, 2017 at 09:10 PM.

All hat & no cattle

Can't say any of the above games really interests me , though I did go and look up the The Pillars of The Earth game. Never knew about it, but I think I'll keep an eye on it and see the reviews after some more episodes come out.
    Also why would you want to play Starcraft 1? For a short nostalgia trip? I hope it's free if you own SC2.

One thing I am considering though is the Destiny 2 PC open beta, but then that isn't actually a release (as such) :-)

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

I had never heard of Pillars of the Earth either, but I recognized the developer and they make decent indie adventure games.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Finkelstein View Post
    Also why would you want to play Starcraft 1? For a short nostalgia trip? I hope it's free if you own SC2.
    Sure, why not? I really liked those games and haven't played them in awhile. A digital version is more convenient than digging out discs and is guaranteed to work. It's free for everyone, with you only needing to pay for it if you want upgraded sound/visuals, multiplayer matchmaking, and minor tweaks to the campaign's story.

Lawbreakers looks like it will have to work hard to challenge Overwatch.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Oh there's no chance of that, but you can't succeed if you don't try, and I do think there is an audience for arena shooters that Overwatch will never really appeal to.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

I think people that want more "shooter" will be into Quake Champions. I've played the beta a bit and it's alright. People act like the abilities in QC are like Ultimates or Supers in other games, but if this was OW, most of them would only be as powerful as a Shift or E ability.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

I was checking a Gamestop ad I saw linked on CAG, and noticed that they were selling Fortnite on consoles for $60, and that it apparently was released last month. I was just about to amend July's thread when I looked up more information (wondering how I missed this) and learned that it's actually still in Early Access.

$60 for this seems crazy enough, but a retail release of an Early Access game? I'm generally pretty easy going but that smells an awful lot like bullshit to me.

To anyone who doesn't know or doesn't remember, Fortnite is Epic's next game. It was supposed to just be a small project but they have been working on it forever. It's kind of a Minecraft Horde Mode/Orcs Must Die kind of game, from what I can tell. You and some friends build a base and then initiate waves of monsters that you have to defend against. It doesn't look that bad, but nothing I've seen has made me think it should sell for more than $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    I think people that want more "shooter" will be into Quake Champions. I've played the beta a bit and it's alright. People act like the abilities in QC are like Ultimates or Supers in other games, but if this was OW, most of them would only be as powerful as a Shift or E ability.
    I think you're right, though buzz in general also seems pretty low so I'm not expecting too much. "It's alright" seems to be the most common sentiment with that game, which is enough to have people who like to play it, but probably not enough to make a significant mark on the online community.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Another thing I missed: apparently season 2 of Telltale Batman was announced at Comic Con, and the first episode comes out this month.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Wool View Post
    I was checking a Gamestop ad I saw linked on CAG, and noticed that they were selling Fortnite on consoles for $60, and that it apparently was released last month. I was just about to amend July's thread when I looked up more information (wondering how I missed this) and learned that it's actually still in Early Access.

$60 for this seems crazy enough, but a retail release of an Early Access game? I'm generally pretty easy going but that smells an awful lot like bullshit to me.

To anyone who doesn't know or doesn't remember, Fortnite is Epic's next game. It was supposed to just be a small project but they have been working on it forever. It's kind of a Minecraft Horde Mode/Orcs Must Die kind of game, from what I can tell. You and some friends build a base and then initiate waves of monsters that you have to defend against. It doesn't look that bad, but nothing I've seen has made me think it should sell for more than $30.

I think you're right, though buzz in general also seems pretty low so I'm not expecting too much. "It's alright" seems to be the most common sentiment with that game, which is enough to have people who like to play it, but probably not enough to make a significant mark on the online community.
    Ars Technica's review of Fortnite had a lot of bad things to say about the game. They loved the game but think stacking so many freemium features into a single game will kill the long term fun of the game.

Fortnite poisons a potentially great game with agonizing F2P limits

Elder Arcanist

I'm also seeing the same shit with Fortnite that happened in Archeage, Everquest 3, H1Z1, and BDO...

Streamers are hardselling the $100/$150 founder's packs with claims that viewers can join the streamers guild/tribe in-game.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

So I enjoyed replaying Starcraft 1. It was interesting to see how much matched up with my memory. The new graphics are nice, but otherwise the package doesn't do much to upgrade the experience. This is by design, because a lot of people still play Brood War because they don't want things to change, but that doesn't do much for people like me who prefer things to just generally be better. They added images and narration between certain missions to help the flow of the story, but this wasn't as nice as I was expecting and you would very easily believe they were there the entire time if you didn't know better.

As much as I love Starcraft 1 and enjoyed playing it again, doing so actually made me pine a little for Starcraft 2. There are so many little improvements that are easy to take for granted when you don't stop and look at how far they have actually come. So after I finished Brood War I started replaying the Starcraft 2 campaigns too. I really really like Starcraft 2 guys. Elements of the story still suck, but everything else is perfect.

In other news, Uncharted The Lost Legacy was excellent, and actually one of the better Uncharted games. It has everything you would expect from one of the main line games, just with about 15-25% less of each element. This translates to it not dragging out as long while still being a decent length (8-10 hours).