Thread: Homemade Kimchi?

Tasty Danish

Homemade Kimchi?

So - does anyone here have any practical experience with regards to making homemade Kimchi?

I'm a huge kimchi fan, but haven't really found a starter project yet.
    You guys venture into all sorts of odd stuff, so I figured that I'd start by asking here.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Elder Arcanist

Re: Homemade Kimchi?

I have never done kimchi but I have seen it made and it doesn't seem particularly difficult. It's mostly just fermentation, like saurkraut (which I have done). There are plenty of videos and web sites with info/recipes.

I also might recommend a fermenter jars/lids to make the process a little easier.

It looks like a pretty easy and relatively inexpensive process so if it goes awry you shouldn't be out much time or money.

Pro tip: the bacteria that cause fermentation do not like UV light. Keep it in a dark room temp area while it is fermenting.

Elder Arcanist

Yea, there are hundreds of Kimchi making videos on YouTube. And just as many sauerkraut videos as well.

After watching some kimchi/sauerkraut videos last year I bought some of those fermenter lids/waterlocks. But then ended up using fido jars I found locally.

You can also make a kimchi with quartered Brussel sprouts.

And remember to keep everything below the fluid line. Anything sticking out of the liquid will go bad.

Elder Arcanist

If you want a longer term fermentation project you can make your own Soy sauce /Miso...

Tasty Danish

Thanks a bunch for the links!

Will I get around to actually making some? Probably as a winter project. Will post updates (if they ever come )
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"