Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Destiny 2

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: Destiny 2

I didn't know the answer when you first asked, but the PC beta seems to be planned to take place on August 29 through August 31.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

This is a reminder that the PC open beta has started. Download it through the Battle Net Launcher. It's about 15 or 16 gigs and has one story mission, one group mission, and a couple pvp maps.

Seems to run well on my computer, but I can't decide how I feel about playing Destiny with a keyboard and mouse.

Tasty Danish

I downloaded and played - ran well on my relatively old machine with a new-ish budget-friendly graphics card (i7, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 950).
    I liked the group mission (did it with a PUG), no-one quit even though we were pretty terrible at it and needed five tries to get the boss down.

I've had never played Destiny before, so I had no notion of what I was getting into.

Overall impression? Meh. Decent shooter, fun bossfight - but isn't it supposed to be a MMO-like game? I had the supercharged ability and one more - all of the other stuff was weapon-related.
    Yes, I dropped a weapon and a pair of boots. Loot is the MMO part? I was looking for skill trees and more abilities, but it seemed like those abilities were it.

Odd design choice to pop you out in 3rd person when you use your supercharged ability, and then force you to stay in 1st person the rest of the time. I would like the game more if I could play in 3rd person all the time, but that's just a personal preference. I don't really play shooters, except for the occasional Overwatch session with my son.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawlin View Post
    Overall impression? Meh. Decent shooter, fun bossfight - but isn't it supposed to be a MMO-like game? I had the supercharged ability and one more - all of the other stuff was weapon-related.
    Yes, I dropped a weapon and a pair of boots. Loot is the MMO part? I was looking for skill trees and more abilities, but it seemed like those abilities were it.
    No, it's a loot game. That's why I always said it was mmo lite at best, and that's only in the shared spaces with random quests and public events. It's rpg mechanics are also light because it is at its core a shooter. When you think about what it does well, there really aren't that many other co-op shooters to choose from.

Edit:

Note the little icon on your subclass in the inventory screen, above your weapons; they give you two to choose from. Color coded orange, purple, or blue. If you click on it (I think it was right click on PC) you can access what passes as a "tree". It's better to think of it as another type of equipment screen though. It's dominated by your core subclass abilities, and has four or so perks off to the side that can be changed in the final game (but not in this).

These perks might seem underwhelming at first, but in practice can change how you play quite a bit.

Breaking it down, each of the three classes has three subclasses (fire, void, arc). These give you access to different perks and skills. Your three major differentiators are your super, grenade, and your melee. In Destiny 2 they added an extra class skill (heal, a shield, a dodge). Each of the first group has a few different variants, as well as different perks that affect them. The core gameplay loop always involves these three abilities.
    Last edited by Wool; August 30th, 2017 at 09:40 AM.

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Wool View Post
    No, it's a loot game. Like Diablo or something. That's why I always always said it was mmo lite at best, and that's only in the shared spaces with random quests and public events.
    Right, I just misunderstood that. Makes a lot more sense to me now.
    It's rpg mechanics are also light because it is at its core a shooter. When you think about what it does well, there really aren't that many other co-op shooters to choose from.
    That is also a fair point - at least not PvE shooters. I think that Player Unknowns Battlegrounds (among other games) do PvP co-op pretty well.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

I had a good time with the PC run, It runs smooth even with every setting to max running at 1440p.

*Watercooled 1080Ti is my video card though.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

All hat & no cattle

I had a run through the first solo part and then played the PvE mission with 2 others. They quit after we failed to down the boss after 2 attempts at it. I tried solo without much luck.
    Based on that experience I am wondering why I would pay to play this when I can play Warframe instead for free?

Is there more PvE missions than the 1 with the "raid" boss in the beta?

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Finkelstein View Post
    I had a run through the first solo part and then played the PvE mission with 2 others. They quit after we failed to down the boss after 2 attempts at it. I tried solo without much luck.
    Based on that experience I am wondering why I would pay to play this when I can play Warframe instead for free?

Is there more PvE missions than the 1 with the "raid" boss in the beta?
    This is almost completely a subjective decision. Even ignoring whether or not you like one game or developer more than another, everyone is going to have different preferences on how they get their content. I generally prefer paid games over free to play games. You get all your content up front and don't have to worry about ridiculous grinds or unclear content restrictions. Part of why I haven't tried Warframe myself yet was because I heard it was extremely grindy and unintuitive for new players. That makes it a time sink when I have plenty of other games competing for my attention.

Free to play games tend to be good for people with a casual interest, fixed budgets, or people specifically looking to kill time. It's good for trying something you may or may not keep playing. There are some really good ones, but I dislike the design principles they employ in general.

And no, the beta only has that first story mission, that one strike, and the two multiplayer maps. The strikes tend to be the best content, but there are also less of them than there are regular old missions.

All hat & no cattle

I agree with rather wanting to pay up front instead of being milked by microstransactions, but I haven't felt that Warframe was bad or pushy in this regard. That said I haven't gotten that far in Warframe, but Destiny 2 felt SO much like Warframe that it immediately sprung to mind. I think like the design style of Destiny 2 better, but that's because I never really got comfortable with the asian-weirdo style of Warframe. Though the base mechanics (moving/shooting) feels feel, but lacking when compared to something like Warframe.

In terms of Co-Op looter-shooters in general I really wish The Division had a better base game, because the look, feel and theme of that game is pretty awesome. Maybe with a Division 2 way out in the future :-)

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

I ended up getting this on PS4. It's good but not earth-shattering. It's basically them fixing all the problems or perceived problems with the first game, though I don't like all of the changes.

The single player campaign itself is far improved over the previous one. It's got more character and personality, the levels are more interesting with plenty of fantastic set-pieces, and there is also a genuine final boss now; though I personally thought his story arc was kind of stupid. Honestly I'm still not impressed with the told story itself. It was told well, but it doesn't really feel like it amounts to anything. The best parts of Destiny are always end up being the hidden backstory and promises of what might happen in the future. There is a ton of that stuff in this one, but I didn't personally find the struggle with Ghaul to be that interesting. In fact, it was pretty trite.

Still, it wasn't disappointing like the first game was. I actually wonder if people will give it more credit than it deserves in comparison.

The drawback to having a better campaign is that the levels feel longer and are kind of a pain to replay. Luckily, they added a ton of optional missions and exploratory content you can play solo instead. This is somewhat ironic because by far the most fun you can have in Destiny is in the group content, which they didn't expand over the previous game to the same degree they did the campaign. The strikes are good, but the public quests are great. There aren't that many of them, but if you fulfill certain conditions a harder version spawns, and fighting hordes of difficult enemies with 3-6 people is pretty fun.

I never intended to do PVP this time, but the game steers you into trying it as part of their milestone reward system. They changed it a lot more than I was expecting. It feels fairer now, but also less interesting. I've actually been doing okay at it, but I can't tell if that's because of the changes or simply because I peak early in MP games and then fall off once other people start getting good. It feels like it's less about flanking and ganking people in one shot and more about combined fire with your standard guns. I feel like if I try to flank an entrenched enemy for better position they end up rolling over the rest of my team and then ganking me easily. When I stick with the team and we all just shoot the same guns at the same people we end up more likely to win.

P.S. The music is really, really good.

Below spoiler tag for people who either don't care about spoilers, or have beaten it themselves. I summarize the basic in-game story as well as the things they tease which I found to be more exciting. Please note that I do not know all the hidden lore in this game. I'm only talking about what is explicitly shown during the campaign itself and the story it tells.

Spoiler for story spoilers:

• As seen in the beta mission, the Red Legion invades the Last City and cuts all the guardians off from the light. The survivors are scattered.
    • You as the nameless player have a vision telling you to go to the "Shard of the Traveler", a piece that broke off long ago and is supposedly corrupted. You meet up with some refugees and do this, getting your powers back in the process. For some reason that is never explained, no other guardian does this.
    • Your next task is to round up the survivors for a counter-offensive. Each member of the Vanguard is on a different world, and you have to run a few missions in a small subplot on each world to recruit them. The characterization is good, but the subplots themselves don't amount to much. Go here, do that.
    • At some point you learn that there is a super-weapon that will cause the sun to go nova if any resistance crops up, so you fight through a base and steal a ship so you can sneak onto the super-weapon and disable it.
    • At the same time, the rallied guardians mount an attack on the Red Legion in the city. As the only one with any powers, it's ultimately up to you to defeat Ghaul.

Speaking of Ghaul, throughout the game you get interludes with him talking to the captured Speaker, wherein you learn his motivations. The basic crux of it is that this militaristic faction has a plan to extract the power of the Traveler with technology, but Ghaul becomes obsessed with the thing for some reason and spends the entire game brooding over how he can earn it's approval instead, apparently stalling their plan in the process. The Speaker does what the Speaker does best, and expresses platitudes that mean nothing. Eventually Ghaul's second gets upset with him, Ghaul strangles him and declares that he will earn the Traveler's light, but when you finally confront him he just ends up stealing it with their technology anyway before giving a lame "I'm the final boss and I'm awesome and unkillable now" speech.

In the end, Gaul's stolen light reincarnates him as a kind of god, at which point the Traveler finally does something and explodes with energy, destroying the cage the Red Legion put it in, destroying Gaul, and spreading out to surrounding systems. You can surmise that this act restored the light to all existing guardians, though I wonder if it might have other affects as well.

So that's the story they actually told. The Gaul stuff fell flat with me (though I appreciated the attempt), and the rest was pretty standard and simple. But what about the story they didn't tell? The one they hinted at? There is a cutscene at the beginning of the game with a lot of mysterious imagery and a cutscene at the end of the game outright teasing what comes next.

First, in the vision you have:
    • A flying hawk. This is what ultimately leads you to the refugees.
    • The Traveling hovering over a strange sand formation (looks like a city). You later can see this "city" sans the Traveler at Io. It's apparently the last place the Traveler went to before it and humanity were attacked. I don't know why you see it in your vision.
    • The hawk goes underwater, where you see what appear to be statues of a mass of screaming people. I don't know what this means.
    • Another shot from under the water, a row of triangles dive into the water. We know from the openings to both Destiny games that the triangles represent The Darkness enemy that is chasing the Traveler and responsible for the current dark age.
    • A large ship consuming a planet. This is the raid. Though amusingly enough it's maybe not as ominous as it seems. From what I've seen of it so far, it's got a decadent Roman Emperor Nero quality to it. The crushed planets are turned into wine or something. The opening of the raid itself looks like some kind of golden palace.
    • Finally you see constellations representing the new powers you get in this game, and the Shard of the Traveler itself.

The triangles were the most important part, though the Traveler at Io and the screaming statues were interesting too. After you beat the game and the Traveler destroys Ghaul, the energy spreads out to several familiar locations in the solar system before leaving the galaxy and washing over giant pyramid ships in the void of space. The light activates them and they begin moving, likely to Earth.

Additionally, after you beat the game the Traveler looks different. The energies that exploded out of it broke open it's shell. Parts of it orbit it, and you can see parts of the inside. What is inside the shell of the Traveler has been a mystery for awhile now. So in conclusion, while not much happened in Destiny 2, it set up Destiny 3 to finally show the fifth alien race, the Darkness, and perhaps what is actually inside the Traveler.

Last edited by Wool; September 14th, 2017 at 06:29 PM.

still waiting on it to come out here.

Destiny 2 was glorious at 1440p 120FPS.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

It occurred to me that one of the few things I don't like about these games is how they have you level from 1-20 using garbage guns, and only start giving you the good stuff after you have done all or most of the content. Honestly it's something I don't get about loot games in general. Why do I want to spend time grinding away just to get stuff that I will no longer really have a use for because I've already done everything else?

This game is a little better than the first one in that regard, giving you a couple free exotics as you level up and having legendaries pretty easy to obtain once you hit 20. There is still a lot of stuff I wanted to try but never got, but I have no intention of grinding this game like I did the first one.

Out of what I did get, my two favorites were the new Hard Light and Merciless.

1) Because of the changes they have made to how weapons work, you will use your primary weapon for 95% of all enemies and your secondary weapon for removing shields. Shields are solar, arc, or void, and using a weapon of the same damage type does extra damage to them. Hard Light can switch between these three, so you don't have to carry multiple secondaries for removing shields. Unfortunately you can only use one exotic at a time, so if you get a juicier one you might want to use it instead.

2) One of Destiny's many traditions is a merchant named Xur who sells exotics for people with high end materials for trade. This week he was selling the Merciless fusion rifle. This goes in the heavy weapons lot, and every time it doesn't kill its target its rate of fire improves. It shreds elites with big health pools.

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    still waiting on it to come out here.

Destiny 2 was glorious at 1440p 120FPS.
    Should also be nice to not have an annoying aim-assist "helping" by moving the reticule away from what you want to shoot. I didn't notice it that much in Destiny 1 I guess, but there are a lot of explosive barrels in this one and every time I try to aim at one the sticky targeting starts following an enemy running past it instead. By the time I shoot the barrel everything is already out of range.

Anyway, here are some tips for PC players, who I assume are mostly going to be first time players. Before I say anything though, let me define "engram". An engram is a mystery item. You loot it and don't know what it is until you have an NPC identify it.

1) Headshots are king. Except versus the Vex (the time traveling robots). Shoot their white abdomens instead. If you shoot their head, they go into a berserk mode and charge directly at you. This rule does not apply to non-bipedal Vex (the flyers, the turrets, etc). I think it also doesn't apply to gate lord bosses (really big Vex at the end of a Strike).

As a general rule, damage numbers pop over enemy heads when you shoot them and yellow numbers represent critical hits. This is known as "precision damage". Most enemies weak spots are their heads, but this varies according to enemy type. Experiment, and notice what the other players around you are shooting at.

2) Unlike the first game, you don't get your swallow (speeder bike) right away. You get a free crappy one for beating the story, but you have a random chance of getting much nicer ones from "bright engrams". You typically get one of these for every level after 20, but you also get a bunch of free engrams as a reward for advancing in the campaign. So you will probably actually get a decent one before you get the guaranteed crappy one.

3) At a couple of points in the game, you are given a choice between three exotic gear items. Exotics are the most unique loot in the game, you can only have one armor and one weapon equipped at a time, and they usually have bonus effects that make them stand out. Armor exotics often enhance a specific subclass, while weapon exotics tend to have special affects you can't get anywhere else.

You get to make this choice twice. First you choose between three armor items. Then later you get to choose between three weapons. If you play through the game three times you get all of them, but here is my personal ranking on what to get first.

• Sunshot - A solar handcannon (revolver). It's very accurate, snappy, and causes explosions when it kills enemies. I found it to be pretty reliable. You also get it at a point in the story when you are about to be going up mostly versus solar shielded enemies.
    • Riskrunner - An arc SMG. I don't like SMGs much in this game. As I said earlier, headshots are king. and SMGs sort of just spray at enemies and are only really that effective at close range. This one is interesting though. If you take arc damage this gun powers up and has a chance to shoot chain lightning instead of bullets. This effect gives you free ammo, so you can spray it a group of enemies and kill them without reloading. Might be more fun than practical.
    • Graviton Lance - A void pulse rifle (three round burst). This gun has a similar effect as Sunshot and creates void explosions when it kills enemies. I don't like it because the recoil is sharper than I prefer.

4) I would like to reiterate what I said about elemental weapons earlier. By using a weapon with the same damage class as the shield, you do extra damage when the shield bursts. This also causes aoe damage in the area around the target. It's important to point out, however, that any elemental damage will take down the shield just as efficiently, it just won't cause the extra damage explosion. Primary weapons on the other hand have a massive disadvantage versus shields. It's better to use an element of a different type than no element at all, though if you want the burst it's not too difficult to duck behind cover and swap something out.

Or better yet, plan ahead if you know what enemies you will be fighting. On normal difficulties every alien race has a common shielded enemy type and a rare shielded enemy type. Things get more complicated the higher in difficult you go. It's also possible to have every damage type covered between your energy/elemental weapon, your power/heavy weapon, and your subclass.

Spoiler for enemy shields by race:

Fallen - Captain (arc), Shank (solar/rare)
    Hive - Wizard (solar), Knight (arc/rare)
    Vex - Minotaur (void), Harpy (arc/rare)
    Cabal - Centurion (solar), Flamethrowerguy (void/rare)
    Taken - Centurion (arc), Wizard (void), Captain (solar)

5) While not quite as big a deal as exotics, you do eventually want to be decked out with purple legendaries as well. After beating the game, you are given the choice of a free legendary primary weapon. I would recommend either Nameless Midnight, a scout (single shot) rifle, or Origin Story, a pretty solid assault (full auto) rifle. The pulse rifle he offers is okay, but I don't like them as much in general. Pulse rifles tend to have more recoil than the other two, to use them effectively you tend to aim at the body and let the recoil jump up so the third shot hits the head. I prefer to cut out the middle man, which you can do with the other two types more easily.

6) When you activate a super in these games, you generate orbs of light for allies that in turn charge up their super. To be most efficient, you want to avoid using your supers at the same time, and in fact chain them together each supplying orbs to each other. Not much else to say here except to point out that sometimes killing always isn't the best way to generate orbs. For example, I didn't realize it at first but if you are a Titan and use the void Sentinel class, blocking damage with your shield generates orbs.

7) Explaining stats.

Armor stats are fairly self explanatory. Mobility is more common on Hunter gear, makes you jump higher, run faster, etc. Resilience is more common on Titan gear, makes you take less damage. Health recovery is more common on Warlock gear, makes your health regen faster. The differences are slight but noticeable.

Weapon stats are as follows:

Impact - Damage per shot. Might also affect stagger chances, I don't remember.
    Range - Determines damage drop-off the further something is from you.
    Stability - This affects the recoil of a gun. This is my most valued stat. My favorite weapons are the ones that stick to targets and don't jump around.
    Handling - I believe this affects how quickly you can look down the sights of a gun. Possibly also how fast you can swap to it.
    Reload - Self explanatory. How long it takes to put ammo back in your gun.

While playing from 1-20, my favored weapon was an assault rifle called Ros Lysis II. You should really experiment with the different weapon types, just know that early versions of everything are pretty crappy. Stick with it and the guns get better.

8) If you pvp, I recommend having a stable assault rifle as your primary and a stable scout rifle for long ranges. Stay calm, aim for heads, and never fight more than one person at a time if you can help it. This game relies on combined fire with teammates more than most. I was never really impressed with any power weapons, though people with rocket launchers were annoying, and people with swords could wreck havoc if they sneak up on you.

9) When exploring the open areas in between missions, you will sometimes see a notification for a public quest. If you complete the directions it gives you, you get loot. If you discover and complete the hidden objectives, you enter a "heroic" event and get better loot. Instead of listing every condition, I'll just say to pay attention to what others are doing nearby. If they are shooting at something that's not shooting back, it's probably part of the objective.

10) In comparison to the first game, this one has you visit each world without requiring you to actually spend much time there. There is a ton of optional stuff you can do on each world, though I recommend getting your swallow first. Hidden chests, loot caves, bonus missions, and the aforementioned public events. By doing these, you get marks that you turn in at that world's major NPC to fill up a reputation bar. It usually takes about 20 marks. If you are level 20, you get a purple engram every time you do this. So depending on how much you did before beating the game, you might have a ton of easy purple gear waiting for you once you hit 20.

Also, instead of selling things to vendors, you dismantle loot you don't want. This gives you gun parts which you can also exchange with an NPC in the social hub for purple guns.

Edit: Crap that reminds me of something else I should explain. You have two different types of level in this game, conventional level which goes up to 20 and determines the gear and abilities you can use, and power level which determines how strong your gear actually is. The content is designed to be challenging at specific power levels, which it will advise you of before attempting it.

The power level of the gear you get from activities is determined by the maximum power level you have achieved. So the better the gear you are wearing, the better gear you get from drops and engrams. This creates a kind of mild scaling grind. It isn't too hard to surmount until you get to the point where you are gearing up for the raid. I did it fairly easily without even playing the hard mode strikes.

Generally power levels on gear start capping off based on the difficulty of the activity you are doing, as well as the quality of the gear. Engram power level is determined the moment they drop, but certain weekly activities listed in the milestone section referred to as "powerful gear" is always ranked higher than whatever you are currently wearing, so it is more efficient to get your power level up before cashing in these rewards. It's also worth noting that if you get a purple or exotic that you like and don't want to replace with higher level gear, you can sacrifice that gear to it and power it up.

I came to this post only meaning to talk about the exotics. Hopefully some of that mess proves to be useful to someone later.

As a final note, while the beta gave a good idea on what the campaign missions and the co-op strike missions are like, it gave no indication whatsoever what the exploratory public spaces are like, and they are a fairly big part of the game. Not as interesting as strikes generally, but much easier to mess around with if you just want to play casually.
    Last edited by Wool; September 17th, 2017 at 08:48 AM.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Because I didn't really want to go to sleep anyway:

Choosing a class:

Titans - Heavy armor aesthetic. Unique armor slot is for banner cloth you wear around the waist. Special ability is a shield wall, or deployable cover that reloads your ammo. Jump is a jetpack boost.
    Hunter - Leather armor aesthetic. Unique armor slot is for cloaks and hoods. Special ability is a dodge that reloads ammo or recharges your melee. Jump is a double (or triple) jump.
    Warlock - Cloth armor aesthetic, first game had trench coats but this one felt like it was mostly robes. Unique armor slot is for an arm band. Special ability is an aoe heal/damage buff. Jump is a weird hover glide that takes getting used to is but is otherwise pretty good.

Personal opinion: The warlock heal rift makes you pretty tanky and gives you an overshield. The Titan deployable cover is neat but less useful than you might expect, as mobility > hiding behind a chest high wall in this game. The shield wall is good though. Dodge on the other hand ended up being better than I expected as it combos fairly well, but its still not as game changing as the shield wall or healing rift.

Try not to be frustrated when people ignore your healing rift and run off and die. I found it somewhat amusing, it was like the opposite of people standing in the fire in WoW.

Subclasses: Each class can swap between three subclasses at any time. These affect your super, your available grenades, and each subclass then in turn has two paths to choose from. Each path has four different passives that change how you play that subclass, either by changing how the super works or by giving you bonus effects or actions.

Note that you start the game with the default subclass from the first game but lose it during that mission. You then get a "new" one after the second mission, and then have to unlock the other two. You get a random drop that fills up a meter as you kill enemies or do public events, at which point you are given a special mission to unlock your new powers. I always got this drop while killing elite enemies in the public zones. Typically at around level 8-10 I would get the subclass from the first game, and at around 15-20 I would the subclass from the Taken King expansion.

Titans
    Sentinel - Void damage. Captain America shield that can be swapped out for a shield bubble. Titan passives just in general tend to either give you a sprinting melee attack, or a bonus effect on melee kills.
    Striker - Arc damage. Spam smash attacks for massive aoe damage. Titan passives just in general tend to either give you a sprinting melee attack, or a bonus effect on melee kills.
    Sunbreaker - Solar damage. Throw flaming hammers that can explode. Still gives you a sprinting melee attack, but these passives tend to boost your hammers or abilities in general.

Hunters
    Arcstrider - Arc damage. Sweeping melee attacks. Passives boost dodging and its synergy with melee.
    Gunslinger - Solar damage. Summon a one shot kill revolver, three or six shots. Passives boost precision kills.
    Nightstalker - Void damage. Create a debilitation zone. Passives heavily focus on support effects.

Warlock -
    Dawnblade - Solar damage. Throw flaming swords. Passives tend to emphasize aerial combat.
    Voidwalker - Void damage. Throw a single superbomb at the enemy. Passives can either boost aoe damage or let you drain life from enemies.
    Stormcaller - Arc damage. Force lightning. Add a chain lightning effect to grenades and melee, or boost your class healing/damage rift ability.

Grenades - Each subclass gets three, and while these three are theoretically unique, it isn't hard to determine that they all fall into similar archetypes according to function.

Normal - A one time explosive effect. Can vary in actual application. Generally used against groups of enemies.
    Seeker - Creates entities that seek out nearby enemies. Can vary wildly according to class, but generally used to get enemies behind cover.
    Sticky - Sticks to enemies and explodes after a few seconds. Best for single targets.
    Orb - These create an area of effect that does constant damage to anything standing in it. Good for just about every occassion. I call them orbs because of their spherical shape.
    Pulse - These create an area of effect that do damage every couple of seconds.
    Area Denial - These grenades create a constant damage effect in an area. Fire walls, trip mines, etc. Their area of effect is slightly less reliable than orbs, so I never seem to use them effectively.
    Status - These grenades cause a debilitation effect on enemies caught in the blast.

Grenades by class:

Titan
    Sticky, Area Denial, Status
    Status, Pulse, Area Denail
    Normal, Area Denial, Sticky

Hunter
    Seeker, Sticky, Normal
    Normal, Seeker, Area Denial
    Orb, Area Denial, Area Denial

Warlock
    Orb, Normal, Sticky
    Orb, Seeker, Normal
    Normal, Pulse, Normal

Titans and Hunters just in general have a lot of "trick" grenades. Status grenades, tricky to use area denial grenades, etc. Warlocks have a pretty reliable spread of pure damage grenades. The only warlock grenade I've ever had trouble with is the final "normal" grenade in the Stormcaller tree. It calls a bolt of lightning after a few seconds, but it never seems to hit what I want it to. Which is too bad, as it might be the coolest looking grenade effect.
    Last edited by Wool; September 17th, 2017 at 07:49 AM.

Elder Arcanist

Destiny 2's Holiday Update Is Microtrantastic!

Elder Arcanist

Bungie Responds to Destiny 2's Dawning Event Uproar

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

It's a neat game and well worth trying, but it is worth pointing out that they are probably doing this promotion to encourage people to buy the DLC expansions.

Last I checked the way Bungie designed their expansions resulted in matchmaking for whatever the previous end game was being disabled.

Mangina at large.

Looks like my video card just can't quite cut it (GTX 645), so no free game for me. Question: does this game have single player solo content, or is it all multiplayer? I saw Wool mention a single player campaign, but I couldn't figure out how much content that represents. If there's a fair amount, I may try downloading it anyways and see if my card can handle it.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

There is a fairly lengthy single player campaign that stands just fine on its own. You will encounter other players in the world but are not required to interact with them. Story sequences are usually instanced. Open environments have world quests in them.

It's not too dissimilar from how WoW is structured at the moment, just at a much smaller scale. The single player stuff is a little more pronounced in Destiny, but as it's a shooter there is less overall content as well. It should only take you a few days to finish if you don't get suckered into the loot grind.
    Last edited by Wool; November 2nd, 2018 at 06:55 PM.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

One thing to note for new Destiny franchise players: Their PvP is garbage. Just assume PvP and Gambit are just quest objectives and daily/weekly quests, not an end-game solution.

The way Destiny 2 works leaves a lot more features for people that don't buy the expansion, and they actually have charts that show that they plan to keep adding new "content" for classic-only players. That's why the Festival of the Lost forest was a level 20 event.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums