Thread: Severe Weather Awareness Week

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Severe Weather Awareness Week

I did not know, until today, that this was a thing.

How did I figure out that this was a thing, you might ask?

I FIGURED IT OUT BECAUSE I WAS TRYING TO SLEEP AFTER WORKING THE FUCKING NIGHT SHIFT PATCHING SOMEONE'S SERVERS WHEN THE GODDAMNED MOTHERFUCKING TORNADO SIRENS STARTED GOING OFF.

I look outside, all bleary-eyed, after pulling the light-blocking substances away from the blinds on my window and go "wtf? it's so sunny it might as well be a day at the beach, so much so that the only nipples I'd expect to see would be on sunbathers, not on clouds" then chalk it up to the fact that I think it was wednesday recently and they sometimes test the sirens on...no wait, that's the first tuesday of the month, fuck it, who cares, back to bed.

TWO HOURS LATER, MORE FUCKING SIRENS.

I can hear two of these things, one south of me, one west of me, clear as a demonically-christened thrice-cursed churchbell, all while I'm having dreams of semi-naked ladies just walking around as though lingerie-clad ladies wandering around were a part of everyday life.

Finally I wake up, turn on the AM radio listening for storm warnings, because the internet is telling me it's going to be a beautiful fucking day, spend FAR MORE TIME THAN I WANTED TO LISTENING TO TALK ABOUT SPORTS TEAMS WHO UNILATERALLY SUCK ASS WHEN I COULD BE SEEING THE INSIDE OF MY EYELIDS OR DREAMING OF SCANTILY CLAD WOMEN and figure out there's no actual weather threat.

Two hours later...guess what?

MORE FUCKING SIRENS.

They have just now launched ANOTHER batch of siren-firing and I'm hoping this is the last, because I'm well and truly fucking awake now and will probably collapse when it's time to sleep again.

Apparently this is just the thursday of severe weather awareness week.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/hsem/we...k-program.aspx

Tomorrow is "Extreme Heat" day.

I'm still not sure wtf they're going to do about that. Walk around door-to-door and give everyone glasses of pickle brine for rehydration purposes?

A voucher for the electricity bill for everyone's AC unit?

Seriously, we live in a state where the celsius and farenheit scales meet at the same number once in a while (-40).

If someone hasn't figured out how to survive extreme or severe weather at this point, they probably deserve darwinism.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Re: Severe Weather Awareness Week

I had no clue there was such a week. Then again I live in NJ we rarely have weather that can be called severe by midwestern standards.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Eh...I'd have thought there'd be serious legal issues from over use of that, it's just begging for civil lawsuits?!

Woe to thee who wakes the horny kraken!

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    I had no clue there was such a week. Then again I live in NJ we rarely have weather that can be called severe by midwestern standards.

WE rarely have what I'd call severe weather. I haven't seen anything worse than strong winds/rain/lightning in years, and all that leads to is a few fallen branches, and the occasional flooded street if the leaves clog the gutters.

I mean, sure, it gets fricking COLD up here sometimes, but you either learn to live with it or you move somewhere else. The cold is just something you survive and bundle up for, it's not like it can rip the roof off of your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade-T-E View Post
    Eh...I'd have thought there'd be serious legal issues from over use of that, it's just begging for civil lawsuits?!

Woe to thee who wakes the horny kraken!
    To be fair, it's the FIRST time I've heard it done outside of scheduled tests barring one 6am accident due to programming that woke up a crapload of my coworkers http://www.startribune.com/civil-def...arm/375374231/ so it's not like it happens regularly, but holy fucksticks, every TWO HOURS?

I mean, I've lived here since 1990 or so and I've seen a grand total of TWO touchdowns in person and despite the fact that there have been far worse tornadoes in this state (The St. Peter Gustavus Adolphus tree-wreck comes to mind) they're still REALLY FUCKING RARE.

We're in the midwest. We're aware that tornadoes can be a thing. Typically the sky turns a peculiar color of green before the clouds even start swirling.

ENOUGH WITH THE AWARENESS.

It's not like they're even making money off of it like that whole Komen foundation is, these fuckers are just blowing tax dollars spitting out documentation on what they're going to do and distributing it to the people who have to do it and likely think it's about as stupid as I do.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

That is excessive, yeech!

Never forget time here in early 1980s air raid sirens went off...expecting to see warheads lance down is not fun

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

I remember during Duck and Cover drills sometimes thinking "Just get on with it already and fight the damned war!" It felt like we were always drilling for a test that we were never going to take.