Thread: Amazon opens new game studio led by EverQuest creator John Smedley

Forum Arcanist

Amazon opens new game studio led by EverQuest creator John Smedley

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/15/146...dley-san-diego

EverQuest co-creator John Smedley is leading a new San Diego-based studio for Amazon Game Studios, the company announced today.

Smedley, previously the president of Sony Online Entertainment and Daybreak Game Company, will lead an “all-new team” in San Diego on an unannounced title. In a release, Amazon said Smedley’s “ambitious new project” will tap “into the power of the AWS Cloud and Twitch to connect players around the globe in a thrilling new game world.”

“John’s pioneering work helped define the modern MMO, and his influence can be felt in thousands of games that followed,” Amazon said in a statement. “He helped create the blueprint for fusing massive game worlds with vibrant player communities, a vision that we share at Amazon Game Studios.”

Amazon says Amazon Game Studios San Diego’s project is still “early days.”

Smedley stepped down as CEO and president of Daybreak Game Company in 2015. Later that year, he founded Pixelmage Games, which developed action role-playing games Hero’s Song. In 2016, both Pixelmage Games and Hero’s Song shut down.

Amazon Game Studios has other locations in Orange County, California and Seattle, Washington. The company is working on a handful of announced games for PC, including mythological sport brawler Breakaway, massively multiplayer sandbox game New World and sci-fi survival game Crucible.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Re: Amazon opens new game studio led by EverQuest creator John Smedley

Gates of fucking Discord....AKA, How Everquest got borked, grrrrr!

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Having a hard time thinking of a bona fide success for Smed other than EQ, which was, what, 18 years ago?
    Last edited by PPatty; February 17th, 2017 at 02:52 AM.

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    Having a hard time thinking of a bona fide success for Smed other than EQ, which was, what, 18 years ago?
    Amen. Plus the whole
    the power of the AWS Cloud and Twitch
    means absolutely nothing.
    I hope you're not planning on letting twitch chat unfiltered into an MMO. That'll bring nothing but trouble.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Elder Arcanist

I guess Amazon was impressed at how well Hero's Song did?

At least I got a refund for backing that IndieGoGo failure

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade-T-E View Post
    Gates of fucking Discord....AKA, How Everquest got borked, grrrrr!
    Lets reeeeeally face it.

After luclin and the AA, they were really just poking fun at what it was we were doing.

Oni
    Blog Entries

They have Lumberyard, but the question is if Smed has the stones and the skills at this point to hire a competant and well-funded team to make anything.

Let's face it - you need a lot of balls and a lot of money and devotion. Smed has not displayed any of these things.

"Don't yell at S-D for using words you're not completely sure of, it embarrasses you. He's right anyway." - Alikat

Nice to see Amazon investing their money well.

Tasty Danish

In all seriousness: What type of game would you design if you had to start from scratch in 2017?
    Smed is obviously well-versed in MMOs (well-versed != super successful in this sense), but an MMO from scratch in 2017?

I know that my son (almost 15) dabbles in MMOs, but spends most of his time on MOBAs. His classmates play a smattering of MOBAs, mobile games, GTA and CS:GO.
    None of them invest several hours a day on an MMO, but they do spend several hours a day on the other games.

Oni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dawlin View Post
    In all seriousness: What type of game would you design if you had to start from scratch in 2017?
    High Fantasy version of Star Citizen. Full simulation of NPCs and social interactions.

"Don't yell at S-D for using words you're not completely sure of, it embarrasses you. He's right anyway." - Alikat

MMOs are a hard sell today and honestly he has tried to redo Everquest. Once with Vanguard and it fell flat and then wanted to reboot EQ. Admittedly Vanguard itself was not bad but its code was horrible and they honestly only shat it out early because of Burning Crusade.

Personally if I ran a game company rather than rush to publish before a WoW expansion id target for 6mo after it. Capture the burnout crowd.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawlin
    What type of game would you design if you had to start from scratch in 2017?
    A mobile collectible card game where one of the methods for collecting "free" cards was the Pokemon Go mechanic of finding them out in the world. Think of a game like Hearthstone where you could get creature cards by finding the creature outside and beating the "creature boss" with a short game against an AI.

Elder Arcanist

Hmmm... just saw the list of developers on the team. It's pretty much the same team from PixelMage games, the group that just failed with Hero's Song.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    EQ2 wasn't a failure and it got significantly better under his tenure. Granted, it wasn't WoW, but nothing was or ever will be for the foreseeable future.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    MMOs are a hard sell today and honestly he has tried to redo Everquest. Once with Vanguard and it fell flat and then wanted to reboot EQ. Admittedly Vanguard itself was not bad but its code was horrible and they honestly only shat it out early because of Burning Crusade.

Personally if I ran a game company rather than rush to publish before a WoW expansion id target for 6mo after it. Capture the burnout crowd.
    I think what they tried to do with Everquest Next is the next big thing in MMO's. The technology just isn't there yet. Basically, the first company that can have true AI for NPC's and build a world of consequence that can thread the needle of "my actions matter" and "the world changes every day!" will be the next WoW. NPC's that live and die, that remember who you are and the deeds you have done. NPC's that can vary their responses to you and actually hold conversations with you not based on pre-programmed scripts.

I don't think we are there yet although with the stuff that Google has been showing off lately we might not be that far away either. This is the only type of game that could get me to play MMO's again.

Cuddly Fuzzy Postdoc

I want to say something cynical about work conditions at Amazon, but I can't muster the energy.

Seriously though, what's with everyone's love affair with Twitch? I barely even want voice chat.

Oni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sehra View Post
    I want to say something cynical about work conditions at Amazon, but I can't muster the energy.

Seriously though, what's with everyone's love affair with Twitch? I barely even want voice chat.
    Twitch is the best new hustle for anyone that plays games regularly. You build fame, you build brand, you do what you like and deploy yourself to fame and fortune on your own terms 100% and not for any corporate cog or corrupt local Feudal Lord. What isn't great about it?

BTW follow my channel and plz donate.

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Sehra View Post
    Some of the regular streamers have built amazing communities that truly help each other out.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Star-Demon
    Twitch is the best new hustle for anyone that plays games regularly. You build fame, you build brand, you do what you like and deploy yourself to fame and fortune on your own terms 100% and not for any corporate cog or corrupt local Feudal Lord. What isn't great about it?
    This is spot on. You can make a living off playing games, even if you have a very low viewer count (50-100 consistently). It won't be a luxurious life, but you always have the opportunity to grow.