Thread: so who would enjoy blowing half a grand with me? I

so who would enjoy blowing half a grand with me? I

i had no idea how crazy this hobby is.

2 days, and it is bitten in deep

Re: so who would enjoy blowing half a grand with me? I

must be a custom drone as I doubt a Phantom can fly like that. edit whoops did see it at the end, And went to the links... I never knew there were kit drones.

Also I must say by the name of the video I was expecting exploding concrete.
    Last edited by FilanFyretracker; January 17th, 2017 at 03:39 PM.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

yeah. dji makes mostly AP/industry style drones. the phantom is a general work horse for whatever you want to put it through, but mostly for general reconnaissance, style AP.

great style of fun, and they will stay in the air for half an hour at a time, but I would rather videogame it into FPV with a racer.

the Falcone is an all in one kit. it starts at about $800 without the goggles. I am planning on spending about $400 to start with an eachine kit, unless I find something better.

as much as I like the idea of flying up to a kilometer (or more) away, I just want to have fun doing aerobatics, and then build a Phantom style from kit with multiple FPV so that I can pull my drone out of a tree if it gets stuck in one.

and yes. I knew kit was sort of out there, as these hobbies always have an element of DIY, but I never had any idea that there were FPV piloting at the amateur level out there. that is what blew my mind, and I am totally on board.

the filming I have done with mine is downright awesome, and I was really looking for a hobby that combined the great outdoors with a little bit of the indoor tinkering, as well.

i always wanted to do RC sports, but I couldnt get my head around where to start, and with the competitive market world of Drones lowering the ceiling (teehee), and the local hobby store closing on a national level, it made a great opportunity for me to dive in head first.
    Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; January 17th, 2017 at 05:20 PM.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

It's the Funky Phantom!

Tasty Danish

We flew a bit with a cheap drone that I got my son last Christmas. Even managed to get it stuck in a tree, and spent about an hour getting it down.

Since then the laws regarding drone flight have been revised, so we haven't taken it out. I need to figure out if we need drone licenses to fly them in our 'burb.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

in the states, you do, but it costs 5 dollars and you complete it online.

is supposed to be as easy in Europe, because it's even bigger out there.

Mangina at large.

I'm surprised there aren't more posts here, considering that in the General Discussion Forums menu the title of the thread shows as "so who would enjoy blowing...".

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
    in the states, you do, but it costs 5 dollars and you complete it online.

is supposed to be as easy in Europe, because it's even bigger out there.
    Probably. If my son was hell-bent on flying the thing, I'd probably have spent more effort on it

my son brought me to tears yesterday.

the extended life batteries came in the mail, called my wife to ask her to plug them all in, and she couldnt figure it out, so my son opened it up, and when I got home, he said that the batteries were charged,and we had to get outside before the sun went down.

Somewhere in the EU now there is a ban on drones with cameras unless you have a special spying license.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...highest-court/
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

that is terrible and stupid

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    Somewhere in the EU now there is a ban on drones with cameras unless you have a special spying license.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...highest-court/
    Yep. The danish nickname for Sweden is "No-permission Sweden". They enact the strangest laws from time to time.

my son brought me to tears yesterday.

the extended life batteries came in the mail, called my wife to ask her to plug them all in, and she couldnt figure it out, so my son opened it up, and when I got home, he said that the batteries were charged,and we had to get outside before the sun went down.
    I love those moments.

My son is 14, and one of the PCs in his school was acting up. He brought the problem to his substitute teacher, who told him: "Hrm, I can't figure this out - can't you ask the one of the tech wizards in the class, the ones that usually solve the PC issues?". My son's immediate, completely unthinking response was: "I _AM_ the tech wizard.".
    Last edited by Dawlin; January 20th, 2017 at 02:51 AM.