Thread: more camera silliness

more camera silliness

this time, i bought a drone.

local hobby store is going out of business, and almost their entire inventory is 80% off. i picked up a drone with camera priced at 150 for $30 after tax.

Im terrible at flying it, having never owned much of anything that is radio controlled, but this is very forgiving, and this model is supposed to be a great trainer for the more advanced models, which one day, i would love to step up to. maybe i will before they go out of business entirely.

Tasty Danish

Re: more camera silliness

Edit: Double post derp. Help me, mod-wan Kenobi!
    Last edited by Dawlin; January 20th, 2017 at 01:56 AM.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Tasty Danish

That's very similar to the first flights that I had.

I ended up getting a micro-drone that you can fly indoors. It's TINY, but has the same control scheme as the bigger drones. That way you can practice without having to fetch the drone from a hard-to-reach gutter
    Protective eyewear is a good idea with the micro-drones, though. They can pick up speed damned quickly, and even a tiny rotor can do serious damage to an unprotected/unprepared eye.

i crashed and burned!

rather than fix this one i decide to order a new one,a little more expensive, but comes with prop guards and a slightly better camera, and a return to home feature.

i also picked up an f600 drone frame, which is bigger than the largest phantom, and runs with 6 rotors. i will use it as mostly an aeriel photography drone, but it will also have fpv capabilities, running APM (open source flight controller).

potentially, i will be looking at 18 minute flight times per battery with up to 4 mile ranges.

i crashed and burned!

rather than fix this one i decide to order a new one,a little more expensive, but comes with prop guards and a slightly better camera, and a return to home feature.

i also picked up an f600 drone frame, which is bigger than the largest phantom, and runs with 6 rotors. i will use it as mostly an aeriel photography drone, but it will also have fpv capabilities, running APM (open source flight controller).

potentially, i will be looking at 18 minute flight times per battery with up to 4 mile ranges.

Tasty Danish

18 minute flight time = massive batteries. How big is this thing?

Pictures! Pictures!

the 600 is the diameter length in mm, so that is 2 feet diameter in American speak.

Tasty Danish

Yuuuuuge!

Holy fuck sticks. i very nearly lost my newest drone less than an hour after opening it. video coming soon.

So, here's the deal.

Other drone broke at a terrible point of function. I ordered a new one with special guards that keep that sort of impact/break from happening. For reference, after this whole story, i was flying this new drone IN MY HOUSE. That is something that would be nearly impossible with my previous drone, as it has no safeguards against collisions or vertical limits. The new one - It does, and I can practice inside... though no wher enear as fun as outside.

SO, I get home from work, and the drone has been delivered. I already have all of my batteries charged, so I get in, and yell at my kids to get their shoes on. Their cousins are all over, and I don't want to wait for their parents (the sun is going down, man!), so I tell their parents that we are all going together. They're all gabbing with my wife, so they're fine with that. "Hold hands" they all say.

So, we all hold hands across the street and head over to the vacant lot/field that is between us and the old printing press. I start flying, and the kids are having a great old time. After 2 batteries, and hearing the kids say, "how high does it go" after seeing it fly higher than the previous drone ever did, i decide to test the limits.

I tested them.

Tested, the operative word.

it probably would go much higher.

It started to take off in the wind as soon as I got it high enough, and it would not come back.

Because i was in a bit of a panic, I changed the GPS to headless mode, and then sort of paniccd again and tried to change back, at the same time I dropped the throttle. The wind took it, and the drone tried, momentarily, to hold onto some semblence of auto-level.

I quickly gave it some more throttle, and in its lowered angle nearly perpindicular to the ground, it just TOOK OFF LATERALLY AWAY FROM US.

I had 4 kids with me, and not many options, while I watched it plummet toward the earth, with many tall trees and shrubbery getting between me and the horizon.

"FOLLOW ME GUYS, AND TELL NO ONE."

We went running through the field, and my niece, nephew, and my shorter kids, were neck deep in shrubs and tall grass. I didn't have time to look back, because I needed a better idea of where it was landing. One of my kids got stuck in the tall grass, and I had to turn around and rescue him.

We managed to get out of the grass, and I headed in the direction of the very busy street it looked as though it crashed into. Cars going everywhich way. My hopes plummeted, and I figured we would be waiting another week for another drone to show up, and i would be out another $50.

So, after some slow walking, and the kids holding hands behind me, we got to the corner of the street, and I looked up and down the street, and Bob's Your Uncle... The drone was sitting on the very next corner, like it was waiting for us. I gave it some throttle, and it leapt up and went back down.

Here's the video:

On the way back, I tried to word the least creepily way possible, "Okay guys.... try not to tell your parents that we ran through the field. You can telll them that we lost the drone. You can tell them that we ran after it. But make sure that you let them know that we did not cross the street again, and we do not tell them we ran through the tall grass."

First thing my niece says ss she barrels through the front door ahead of us, "mom! Something bad happened and I'm never allowed to tell you about it!"
    Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; January 25th, 2017 at 11:33 AM.