Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast

Thread: The Trump Policies and Plans Thread.

Mangina at large.

Re: The Trump Policies and Plans Thread.

Up to $200 billion in goods from China that will be the target of tariffs. Note that the total amount of Chinese goods the U.S. imports is around $500 billion, and Trump has said he'd go that high:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...KBN1K0336?il=0

EDIT: the Chinese imported about $170 billion total in American goods and services in the same time period. Trump wants China to more than double that:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1IK0PM

As that article points out, nobody has any idea how to do that. The Republican tax cuts are spiking demand for imports into the U.S., and the $200 billion the U.S. wants is huge - larger than the total combined American agricultural and oil exports to all nations, as an example. The Chinese can't slap tariffs on another $200 billion in goods because the U.S. doesn't send them that much, but they also can't give in to Trump's demands, so it should be interesting to see how they try to screw the U.S.
    Last edited by Delores Mulva; July 10th, 2018 at 06:54 PM.

Elder Arcanist

Senate Rebukes President Donald Trump With Vote On NATO | The Last Word | MSNBC

Following Trump's repeated attacks on NATO ahead of the NATO summit, the Senate voted 97-2 on a motion to re-endorse NATO and support the mission of NATO. Lawrence discusses with David Corn, Ruth Marcus, and David Leonhardt.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Trump has now said Germany is controlled by Russia...haha!!!

Lost Bard
    Even More Lost Bard

Everything he and his ilk say is projection.

No prison can hold me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruldar View Post
    Everything he and his ilk say is projection.
    Think you're projecting there a bit, man. :P
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Elder Arcanist

Trump is scarred, prickly and needy -- The Washington Post

Watching President Trump’s diplomatic maneuvers — in Singapore last month and during the run-up to his meetings over the next week in Brussels and Helsinki — I wonder whether analysts have been making a mistake explaining his bargaining style in terms of the brash young personality described in his 1987 memoir, “The Art of the Deal.”

The Trump we’re watching is a much needier person than the youthful tycoon who vaulted to the top of the world. The current version of Trump sees himself as chief executive not of a thriving enterprise but of one that has nearly been run into the ground by his predecessors. Rather than warmly embracing longtime partners in Europe, he resents them and their success. He picks needless fights and tries to humiliate people he feels have slighted him.

This scarred, prickly Trump is looking for new friends and investors. It’s almost as if he is ready to fold what he sees as a losing hand and draw a fresh set of cards — ones in this case bearing the faces of North Korea’s Kim Jong Un, China’s Xi Jinping and Russia’s Vladimir Putin.

Perhaps the Trump book to read these days is his 1997 memoir of life as a near-bankrupt, “The Art of the Comeback.” The author is feisty, but he’s also wounded. He has bluffed and bargained his way back from the brink. And he made a lot of enemies in the process. Many of his former lenders mistrust him. In the book, he’s already hanging out with Russian, Chinese and Arab big shots who may be able to recapitalize his business.

“I took tremendous punishment as I watched my empire collapsing around me. . . . It crushed my ego, my pride,” he says of his 1990 risk of personal bankruptcy. Trump survived through a combination of bluster and sweet talk. He warned his lenders that he could tie them up for years with lawsuits and bankruptcy proceedings. But instead, he offered the bankers a deal: If they provided an additional $65 million line of credit and backed off for five years, he’d pay them all back. They agreed, and Trump floated back to prosperity during the boom of the 1990s.

What does this narrative tell us about the zigzag diplomacy of the past few months? First, Trump’s braggadocio masks a deep uneasiness about America’s position in the world. The idealistic, generous national self-image that sustained America through a century of global dominance doesn’t seem to resonate with Trump. He sees the country as exhausted, played out, bled financially by its allies and manipulated by its trading partners.

Trump’s core pessimism goes against the American grain, in my view, but perhaps it’s understandable in a man who almost went bankrupt. This bleak vision has shaped his presidency ever since he spoke of “American carnage” in his inaugural address. That speech included a line that may be the Rosetta Stone of his foreign policy: “We’ve made other countries rich while the wealth, strength and confidence of our country has disappeared over the horizon.”

A resentful Trump has scorned old allies. We’ll see the latest iteration at this week’s NATO summit. He continued his whining Tuesday as he headed for Brussels, claiming, “We’re being taken advantage of by the European Union,” and that U.S. support for NATO “helps them a lot more than it helps us.”

Meanwhile, Trump is investing in a new set of friends and forgiving past transgressions to build a new portfolio. The president expresses this slate-clearing agenda with almost childlike simplicity: “I think that getting along with Russia, getting along with China . . . is a good thing.” Who could disagree, but at what cost, and with what benefit?

Trump’s diplomacy with Kim is the most interesting test of where his reshuffle-the-deck strategy is headed. Trump wanted success in Singapore so badly that he staged the triumphal handshake first, against a backdrop of inter-furled North Korean and American flags, and left the actual negotiations on denuclearization for later by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

North Korea’s rebuke of Pompeo for “gangster-like” demands on denuclearization got the headlines last week. But perhaps a more telling part of the North Korean Foreign Ministry’s statement was its elaborate flattery of Trump and a plea for concessions. Before Pyongyang delivers an inventory of weapons to begin denuclearization, for example, it seems to want a formal declaration ending the Korean War.

“We still cherish our good faith in President Trump,” said a fawning passage in the otherwise snarling statement. It must be said, they know their man — the embattled, wounded, hungry-for-new-partners “Comeback” artist.

Elder Arcanist

I would love for one of these NATO leaders to just tear into Trump and make him look like a complete ass in front of the world... but then, he's doing a pretty good job of that himself

Ellsworth M. Toohey

The problem was the breakfast!

When Trump attacked Germany in Brussels, his aides pursed their lips and glanced away

Quote Originally Posted by The Washington Post
    In a statement to The Post, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, "[Kelly] was displeased because he was expecting a full breakfast and there were only pastries and cheese." Mandy Johnson, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Mission to NATO, said she was not able to provide immediate comment.

Mangina at large.

Curse them and their continental breakfasts!

Kudos to the photographer who caught this shot, btw. For most of the time they were all looking the same way, but they caught that one moment that captures everything:

https://qz.com/1325858/nato-summit-2...s-too-obvious/

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...mp-tariffs?amp

I dunno if they could pull it off veto proof but honestly I kinda think the president should only have unchecked tariffing power during a time of war.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

This *will* hurt a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    Curse them and their continental breakfasts!

Kudos to the photographer who caught this shot, btw. For most of the time they were all looking the same way, but they caught that one moment that captures everything:

https://qz.com/1325858/nato-summit-2...s-too-obvious/
    My newspaper's front page today: https://www.volkskrant.nl/
    "Better an honest enemy than a shitty friend that's robbing you blind."

Mangina at large.

Sincerely held beliefs, adoption edition:

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/39...ption-agencies

Quote Originally Posted by Article excerpt
    The House Appropriations Committee on Wednesday adopted a GOP funding bill amendment that would ensure adoption agencies aren’t denied federal funding if they choose not to place children with LGBTQ couples.

The measure, introduced by Rep. Robert Aderholt, drew swift condemnation from Democrats, but the Alabama Republican defended it as necessary for allowing social-services agencies to exercise their religious freedom.

"Several states and localities across the country are not allowing religious organizations, such as Catholic Charities and Bethany Christian Services, to operate child welfare agencies. The reason for this is simply because these organizations, based on religious conviction, choose not to place children with same-sex couples," he said in a statement.

Under the “minibus” funding bill amendment, the Department of Health and Human Services would be required to withhold 15 percent of federal funding for child welfare services from states that themselves withhold funding for organizations that require children be placed with heterosexual married couples.
    I'm with the ACLU on this:

Quote Originally Posted by Article excerpt
    The American Civil Liberties Union, however, said in a statement to the Washington Blade that it “strongly opposes the amendment because it essentially privileges the religious and moral beliefs of providers over the best interest of children who are in their care.”

that is insane that some of these places claim to be christian but will let a kid rot in a horrible system if no hetero couples are looking. I strongly suspect Jesus would rather see the kid with gay parents than in some agency dorm.

This "religious freedom" shit is getting out of control, We see more and more of this shit because of some stupid belief that one's religion should permit one to piss all over LGBT rights.

None of these requirements to place kids with all couples prevent these people from practicing their religion so I do not see how it violates their rights. It does not stop them from praying or holding mass. If there was an actual gay scanner should we allow a business owner to put one up and deny someone the ability to simply come in and get a pizza?
    Last edited by FilanFyretracker; July 12th, 2018 at 12:14 AM.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

All hat & no cattle

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    [...] If there was an actual gay scanner should we allow a business owner to put one up and deny someone the ability to simply come in and get a pizza?
    It already exists. It's called Facebook.
    There have been a series of articles up in the Danish media explaining how it could work:
    In Nigeria where homosexuality is illegal and can give 14 years in prison, the government could use Facebooks own add-targeting service to target adds of users living in Nigeria and that Facebook had tagged with an interest in homosexuality (130000 people) . In those adds is a link to a government run site, that then registered all who visited them, just so they can target them afterwards.
    When confronted with the above, Facebook didn't see a problem, and still just think it's 'enhancing the users experience with targeted adds'.

Another example from the articles was the 65000 Facebook users from Russia has been tagged with an interest in 'treason'. When the journalists contacted Facebook with their research for the articles, Facebook said they would remove the tag for being interested in treason. Still why would Facebook want to tag a user with an interest in treason?

Regardless, literally anyone can use Facebook to make an automatically updated database on American Facebook users tagged with an interest in homosexuality, which can then be used to target those same people.
    That's just one of the ways it can be done, and it probably already have been done.

Mangina at large.

An English article on what Milton mentioned, with info in part provided by the DBC (Danish Broadcasting Corporation):

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ted-in-treason

I remember years ago having a debate here about targeted ads. I hated them, and got a lot of pushback from people who were happy to see ads that were for things that interested them versus things that did not. I don't think anyone in that debate imagined how quickly data mining technology would advance and how it could be weaponized against them. I wonder how many of those people still hold the same opinion.

Buckeye Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    I wonder how many of those people still hold the same opinion.
    Probably just the Republican ones.

Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Elder Arcanist
    Crazy Bard

Did anyone watch or see clips from the Strzok testimony with the House committees?

If I was ever in court or any other setting and things were at half the level of the crazy shown in the videos I would simply refuse to continue until a base level of decorum could be given.
    If I wanted to be ignored I'd go to work.

Forum Arcanist

Holy god, the stupid in that article. He's looking for friends in China. By trade war. He's looking for friends in Russia. By arming anti-russian rebels, bombing russian mercenaries, adding sanctions and pressuring Germany to not buy Russian gas. He's looking for friends in North Korea. Because theyre dirt poor and only have influence in the world as a threat to peace and stability.

Bled and manipulated by its allies and partners yes; exhausted and played out is pure fantasy. "Core pessimism" to describe America's biggest chearleader. Uh-huh, sure, ok.

As to the current meetings- he's perfectly correct that tying your national economy through energy dependence to the good-will of the nation youre most worried about and that has already demonstrated that its willing to manipulate gas supplies etc to force acceptance of what it wants (or non-interference in its activities elsewhere) is the height of stupidity. I mean this is the same Russia you accuse of interfering in the US elections, that definitely dicked over Georgia with its "russian passport holder causus-belli" trick and snaked the Crimea away from Ukraine, but giving them critical leverage over what should be the core European country in Nato is fine? Exactly how brain-damaged to have to be to not see the fucking problem there? The double-think TDS required for that could nova the sun ffs.

Edited to add this-
    The 8.50am item on his schedule for today says that Georgia and Ukraine havent been forgotten by (whoever you want to give credit to) either-
    Potus schedule 12 july.jpg
    Last edited by VariaVespasa; July 12th, 2018 at 02:06 PM.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Did anyone watch or see clips from the Strzok testimony with the House committees?

If I was ever in court or any other setting and things were at half the level of the crazy shown in the videos I would simply refuse to continue until a base level of decorum could be given.
    I've been listening off and on while driving between clients. It's an absolute shitshow!

But Strzok is owning them, when the Republicans actually allow him to talk.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Abraham Lincoln didn't do well in the polls, according to Trump: