Page 54 of 59 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1169

Thread: The Trump Policies and Plans Thread.

Mangina at large.

Re: The Trump Policies and Plans Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Schezar
    I've never had my house robbed or car stolen, so by your logic I should go ahead and leave the doors unlocked.
    Houses get robbed, so by your logic I should buy an alarm, get a guard dog, own a gun, and place bear traps by every exit from my home. Assessing risk, and making appropriate responses, is part of life. I guess the "assessing risk" part is difficult when you believe in someone who believes every non-American is a clear and present danger to the security of the nation.

And that's the only visa they are getting denied access to, and it's for all diplomats from all countries, not just the gay ones....
    The gay ones are the only ones that can't get the required documentation. And if there's a party that has a history of denying things to disenfranchised groups by requiring difficult- / impossible-to-obtain documents, it's the Republicans. But point that out, and the goalposts move to....

This really is comical that you are trying so hard to feel outraged over something that is so trivial. You're trying to gloss over the BBC's incredibly shitty journalism to boot.
    Deranged! Nothingburger! Fake news! I'm a liberal that supports gay marriage but doesn't understand any of the issues involved here! You're a Pepe meme away from filling in my online conservative bingo card.

on a semi related note maybe the USA should cease all business with countries where being gay can get you executed. None of the countries on that list are vital to us as a country, Even the Saudis are not important since we barely get anything from them as the biggest chunks of our Oil are from the USA or Canada. And we have so much natural gas we are exporting it.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    None of the countries on that list are vital to us as a country
    Strictly speaking, no single country is "vital" to us. That seems to be a primary factor governing the current administration's approach to foreign policy.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

on a semi related note maybe the USA should cease all business with countries where being gay can get you executed. None of the countries on that list are vital to us as a country, Even the Saudis are not important since we barely get anything from them as the biggest chunks of our Oil are from the USA or Canada. And we have so much natural gas we are exporting it.
    My assumption is that we are friends with them for easy access to other countries in the region. And even if we don't actively use their oil ourselves, we have apparently been using their wealth from said oil to boost our own economy in various ways for decades.

Well as expected from the start the GOP got their padded SCOTUS. Where this goes is unknown, I suspect Roe v Wade and gay marriage are safe just because countering those rulings would give the dems too much ammo in future elections and blue states would just ignore and keep doing what is right.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Chaotic Good

I suspect Roe v Wade and gay marriage are safe just because countering those rulings would give the dems too much ammo in future elections and blue states would just ignore and keep doing what is right.
    What I've taken from this is that what I consider slam dunk democratic ammo backfires right in their face. The republican party appears likely to get a massive voter turnout from this confirmation, with their intent to say "More Please. And forget about the please. Liberal tears make me happy."

EDIT:
    re unquoted "padded SCOTUS", there does exist a way to increase the number of justices and then appoint to those newly created positions. I think FDR tried to do that.
    Last edited by Mircadius; October 6th, 2018 at 05:11 PM.

Forum Sorcerer

Well as expected from the start the GOP got their padded SCOTUS. Where this goes is unknown, I suspect Roe v Wade and gay marriage are safe just because countering those rulings would give the dems too much ammo in future elections and blue states would just ignore and keep doing what is right.
    What this has shown me is NOTHING is safe with this president and a GOP senate majority. Roe and Gay rights will be overturned, and sooner rather than later. The GOP knows now they can do anything and it won't matter - no one holds them accountable. For anything. The democratic party has become so neutered they can't stop any initiative. The dark days of our democracy will only get darker.

I always said the most dangerous thing about Trump winning was the SCOTUS and other federal judicial appointments. It will take at least a generation to undo the damage that has already been done and that is about to be done.

RBG and Mr. Breyer, LIVE. PLEASE.
    The more I learn the more I realize I have yet to learn.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Arinath View Post
    The democratic party has become so neutered they can't stop any initiative.
    Blame their supposed supporters for not turning out to vote in 2010, 2014 and 2016.

That is why the DNC will always lose the midterms especially. They never vote, GOP can force their obsolete religious fueled ideals on a country that does not work that way anymore because they actually have voters who show up.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

No prison can hold me!

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    Blame their supposed supporters for not turning out to vote in 2010, 2014 and 2016.
    Well, you can lay the blame at the feet of the DNC for alienating anyone who was remotely centrist with the ID politics the past 4 years. Going all in on that was a fuck up for the ages.

Trying to play dirty like they did with Kavanaugh just made the people sick and tired of the SJW schtick angry. In 4 weeks we'll see how well that works out for the Ds. That shit was absolutely disgusting, even by swamp standards. By going all in on the smear job the Ds gave up on bringing up the truly scary things that make Kavanaugh a possibly bad candidate. Being part of the group that thought up the Patriot Act? Ruling that mass surveillance is cool? Instead of any of that all we got was a pointless story that wasn't a crime even when it happened. Guy makes a move on girl at party where alcohol is being served, gets rejected, end of story. And that was the absolute worst case, assuming that Ford wasn't lying or misremembering anything, and that everything had somehow been verified and corroborated 36 years later.

If the economy keeps improving for the next 2 years Trump is pretty much a shoe in for reelection. RBG is spry for her age, but the odds of her living until 2025 aren't great. So Trump is probably going to get at least 1 more USSC pick. If the Ds want to keep shooting themselves in the foot they can do that, but if they would start working with Trump instead of against him at every turn, they could regain some legitimacy and probably work towards goals that aren't in direct conflict with Trump's agenda. He will work with anyone that's putting America first, and gives 0 shits about party affiliation.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Mangina at large.

Being part of the group that thought up the Patriot Act? Ruling that mass surveillance is cool?
    But those are Republican things. How does pointing out to Republicans, "Hey, your guy did the things you wanted him to do," make them vote against confirming him? They instead found out that he was morally suspect, and attempted to appeal to the party of morality on that basis. But today's Republicans are Trump's party - "win at all costs" - and it failed. Remember, as you point the finger at Democrats for not bringing up the Patriot Act, that the majority Republicans also didn't bring up the Patriot Act, and when you say to yourself, "Yeah, but that's their guy, they're not going to find fault in their guy," take a moment to think on that. You support the side that doesn't care about getting the best guy for a lifetime appointment, just the guy that will do what they want him to do. Better hope they want what you want.

Entropy happens

To be "fair" to Schezar, he voted for Trump in the hopes that Trump would be so bad that it would break modern day politics and force both parties to reform.

Two out of three ain't bad?

The only reform that will work for American politics is the reform that will never happen. Splitting up the two parties into at least four.

We should probably expect more cases like this though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burwel...by_Stores,_Inc.

And a Conservative SCOTUS probably is more likely to side with bible thumpers.
    Last edited by FilanFyretracker; October 7th, 2018 at 12:04 PM.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

Back when I had a boss, I didn't like him... but I think I would have told him when he was doing something embarrassing out in public

How much must Trump's staff despise him to let him board Air Force One with toilet paper stuck to his shoe?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.69ec1cae4672

Entropy happens

Journalist murdered in Turkey inside Saudi consulate was killed by 15 gay domestic partners, who have diplomatic immunity.

This aggression will not stand, man!

Forum Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Schezar View Post
    Instead of any of that all we got was a pointless story that wasn't a crime even when it happened. Guy makes a move on girl at party where alcohol is being served, gets rejected, end of story. And that was the absolute worst case, assuming that Ford wasn't lying or misremembering anything, and that everything had somehow been verified and corroborated 36 years later.
    That's your read of the absolute worst case, assuming Ford wasn't lying?

Justice Kegstand was not "rejected" for a clumsy teenage overture. He was accused of forcing a fifteen year old girl on a bed, putting his hand over her mouth (to quiet her, although his "I Was a Teenage [self-admitted] Alcoholic" friend had already turned up the music) and trying to strip her. His good friend Mark joined 'Bart' on the bed, too. Mark jumping on the bed is what accidentally shifted Brett's weight such that Dr. Ford was able to wiggle out from underneath him and escape.

That is Dr. Ford's story. Your summary makes me think you didn't read anything at all or listen to her testimony.

That is why charges of attempted rape entered the conversation. Are you part of the crowd going along with the evangelical spin of the incident "Brett Kavanaugh respected that girl's wishes, otherwise he'd have raped her. Therefore, no crime happened and our guy was a gentleman falsely accused!"???

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Zarbonius View Post
    Journalist murdered in Turkey inside Saudi consulate was killed by 15 gay domestic partners, who have diplomatic immunity.

This aggression will not stand, man!
    Senators have enacted the Magnitsky Act, forcing Trump to investigate this. He has 120 days to report back his findings. This could get interesting, given how close the Trump family is with Saudi Arabia

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4...udi-journalist

Lost Bard
    Even More Lost Bard

This is going to get wild if members of the Saudi royal family end up getting sanctioned under the Magnitsky Act. I wonder if the Senate has any teeth to do something if the Trump administration doesn't investigate in good faith. There's a lot of that going around right now, after all.

Mangina at large.

Started a thread on the Saudi thing:

https://www.graffes.com/forums/showt...heir-consulate

Mangina at large.

Trump wants fewer protests in D.C.:

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...es-on-protests