Page 62 of 75 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1483

Thread: The Trump Policies and Plans Thread.

Re: The Trump Policies and Plans Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Finkelstein View Post
    All of this just because some man-baby can't have his pet wall-project?
    Meanwhile China is making an unprecedented mission on the moon.

I can't help but feel that if we (the West in general) don't stop bickering over stupid shit and electing morons with easy quick-fix solutions that have no basis in reality, we're going to become dominated by new superpowers.
    Even worse is we cannot even hope to keep China at bay with private space, Every launch requires FCC and FAA licenses and you aint getting those during a shutdown.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

What you fail to understand is that nobody knows space travel or building like Trump. I'm sure he's already got a moon base with a beautiful concrete wall around it.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Merkus View Post
    What you fail to understand is that nobody knows space travel or building like Trump. I'm sure he's already got a moon base with a beautiful concrete wall around it.
    What? Like some kind of low-grade knockoff Dyson Sphere? A Trump Ovaloid?

Jokes on him when he discover that the moon's light is reflected.
    Last edited by Wool; January 5th, 2019 at 01:23 PM.

Mangina at large.

And it's protected by Space Force.

Mangina at large.

At least part of the government is working during the shutdown:

https://gizmodo.com/um-who-the-hecks...igh-1831554761

Elder Arcanist

Trump sounds like Grandpa Simpson when he tries to describe alternate history...

Trump to Give Primetime Address on the Shutdown: A Closer Look

Jfc. Our fucking president. Gwb looks like einstein in old news reels by comparison.

Elder Arcanist
    Crazy Bard

Nothing of substance from anyone on tonight's broadcasts. My relatives & neighbors that are right wing types are already posting how great the speech was and how it needs to happen immediately. Those from far left are posting counter points as well. I still expect nothing to happen.
    If I wanted to be ignored I'd go to work.

Waste of money. Get our fucking troops out of confluct zones and just put them on the border. Keep the standing military, downsize, reduce expenditures in oversea necessity and take the excess spending and deal with our fucked veteran's issues while we do a better job at the border with humans there as opposed to a wall that won't do shit.

Elder Arcanist

President Donald Trump Uses Oval Office Speech To Raise Money For Reelection | The Last Word | MSNBC

President Trump's Oval Office speech came with a pair of fundraising pleas to Trump supporters implying their donations were needed to secure the border.

This shutdown is honestly one of the shining examples of why the two party system is a broken machine that needs to be destroyed. It just causes Us vs Them and there is no negotiation because it means you folded to the other side, I mean yes the wall is dumb and is completely pointless but the idiot in chief will not budge on it and at some point something will have to give. The Dems could try to haggle with him over the money, Trump wants 5.7 maybe offer 4.7 and haggle him as low as he will go. If he has the business skills he claims to he would understand a good haggling.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    This shutdown is honestly one of the shining examples of why the two party system is a broken machine that needs to be destroyed. It just causes Us vs Them and there is no negotiation because it means you folded to the other side
    It's like the Judgement of King Solomon except that whoever commits hardest to cutting the baby in half gets to keep the pieces.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Solomon

I just get upset with the damn system on behalf of the actual citizens who are tired of fucking finger pointing. No one who is an elected politician in the federal government is a Democrat or a republican. They're the fucking man. Stop putting political affiliates into the labels of those in charge. Burn the fucking podiums and other accouterments to the ground.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

:/

B5 londo politics.jpg

Filan
    yes, the current voting system must change for the USA to *survive*
    same with UK
    just ensures it's a 2 party State which is NOT Democracy and is very sick and dangerous in long term

Buckeye Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
    I just get upset with the damn system on behalf of the actual citizens who are tired of fucking finger pointing.
    I think many of these recently elected representatives feel that the ONLY way they won was because of their promises to fight Cheeto Head in Charge tooth and nail for every retarded thing he stands for. If they back down, and give him his wall for a manufactured crisis (illegal border crossings have been drastically declining for decades) then they will be immediately voted out next election cycle.

They are doing what they believe they were elected to do.
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    This shutdown is honestly one of the shining examples of why the two party system is a broken machine that needs to be destroyed.
    What would you put in its place? Because the few democracies that aren't dominated by two parties (or one party) generally are even more dysfunctional (Hi, Italy).

All hat & no cattle

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    What would you put in its place? Because the few democracies that aren't dominated by two parties (or one party) generally are even more dysfunctional (Hi, Italy).
    Eh, what?

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    one would think a four party system could work that way we can have the middle of the road people and the far in each direction types with their own parties.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

Border wall funds could be diverted from a pool meant for Puerto Rico, Texas and other areas hit by disasters

Washington (CNN) — The Trump administration is actively examining using billions of dollars in unspent Defense Department disaster recovery and military construction funds for the construction of a border wall in the event the President declares a national emergency, according to a US official.

Congress appropriated $14 billion in supplemental funds to repair infrastructure in areas of the country hardest hit by disasters including hurricanes, like Hurricane Maria which slammed Puerto Rico in 2017 and resulted in the deaths of nearly 3,000 people.

In anticipation of a national emergency declaration, the official tells CNN that the Pentagon was asked to provide lists of unspent funds including those earmarked for civil works projects that are part of disaster recovery in Puerto Rico, Texas, California, Florida, and elsewhere. The official said the funds were only recently received. There is more than $13 billion not yet physically spent on the infrastructure repair projects, but that have been promised to these communities.

For instance, more than $2 billion planned for projects in Puerto Rico has not yet been spent. More than $4.5 billion for projects in Texas, including those related to 2017's Hurricane Harvey, has also not been spent.

Trump was briefed Thursday on a proposal to use $5 billion for portions of the wall based on priorities identified by the Department of Homeland Security, the official said. Under a current proposal, a 30-foot high steel slat wall -- the so-called bollard wall -- would be put up across 315 miles of federal lands over 18 months.

As the government shutdown continues with no deal between the White House and congressional Democrats in sight, President Trump inched closer to declaring a national emergency to approval to begin construction of the border wall.

"If this doesn't work out, probably I will do it, I would almost say definitely," Trump said at the White House. "This is a national emergency."

"If we don't make a deal, I would say 100%. I don't want to say 100% because maybe something else comes up," he said. "But if we don't make a deal, I would say it would be very surprising to me that I would not declare a national emergency and just fund it through the various mechanisms."

Title 10 of the US Code allows Trump to unlock a stash of Pentagon funds that are earmarked but have no signed contracts for spending that money.

Anything beyond that would require the cancellation of existing military construction projects, which might come with costly termination fees.

If Trump wants additional funds from projects that are already in contract, he'd have to cancel projects like: a fire station at Quantico, child development at Joint Base Andrews, or Navy SEAL training facilities improvements for combat training.

One major concern for the Pentagon is that once money is diverted to the wall, it's unclear when or if Congress would replenish funds for any canceled or delayed projects so that readiness is not impacted.

Within days of an emergency declaration by the President, personnel would begin to deploy to start the project, the official said. Construction of more than 80 miles of barrier could begin within 45 days along parts of the border in California and near El Paso, Texas. More difficult terrain and conditions mean sections in some of the highest priority areas for DHS and Customs and Border Protection in the Rio Grande Valley Sector would take longer to build, with some parts of those projects not starting for at least six months.

The official says the current plan would only apply to federally owned lands and the emergency declaration would not provide authority to build on private lands. There's currently a variation of fencing along some 650 miles of the southern border.

No copy of a potential declaration has been made public.

The Pentagon has assisted DHS on the border wall in the past. For example, the Army Corps of Engineers, a federal agency within DOD that provides public engineering services, has helped evaluate prototypes of the border wall.

Trump has argued that an increase in border apprehensions necessitates a wall and additional reinforcements to stem the flow of migrants. According to federal data, Customs and Border Protection apprehended nearly 400,000 people along the southwest border in fiscal year 2018, an increase from fiscal year 2017, but a decrease from 2016.

Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan participated in his first meeting as a member of Trump's Cabinet Wednesday at the White House, where he briefly spoke about the Department of Defense's support on the border.

"The Army Corps of Engineers is dialed in on doing this cost-effectively, quickly, and with the right amount of urgency as to where we can build additional standup walls quickly and then get after the threat," Shanahan said. "The threat is real, the risks are real. We need to control our borders."

Trump praised the Defense Department and Shanahan's "fantastic" work, adding that people can't get through the portions of the wall that have been constructed "unless you're a world-class pole vaulter on the Olympic team."

Elder Arcanist

I can not imagine trying to negotiate with this asshat. He wants a wall, all across the border, a concrete wall... but no, only across parts of it, because there are mountains and rivers that make a natural barrier, and of course we already have upgraded the existing fence, but we need a wall, a concrete wall... well, maybe metal slats, but that's more like a metal fence than a wall. WTF does he actually want to build? I imagine nailing Jello to the wall would be easier than trying to get him to coherently state his position in any negotiation.