Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Here are the people whose names have been floated for Trumpís Cabinet

All hat & no cattle

Re: Here are the people whose names have been floated for Trumpís Cabinet

I was reading an interesting article on the recent G7 summit, which had a section going through a few examples of what the trade and tariff situation between the US and the EU actually looks like.

Maybe others will find it interesting too, or at least have some facts to compare to Trumps narrative.
    Americans buy more goods from the EU, than the EU buys from America
    The EU buy more services from America, than Americans buy from the EU

Companies from the EU invests more in America, than American companies invest in the EU. Therefore EU companies are creating more jobs in America, than vice versa.
    The 28 EU countries invest 2560 billion dollars in America. That accounts for 70% of all foreign investments in America.
    American companies invest 2380 billion dollars in the EU.

So where America have a trade deficit on goods, America have trade surplus on services. Services count for a bigger share of western countries economies, and if America trade on both goods and services are added together, America still have a trade surplus.

The average tariff on American companies exporting to the EU is 3%.
    https://www.export.gov/article?id=Eu...Import-Tariffs

In the EU 45 types of goods are hit by tariffs by more than 15%.
    On the American marked there are more than 330 types of goods hit by tariffs by more than 15%.

Europe have an open marked where American companies can bid on public contracts from municipalities, regions and states.
    America only allow American companies to bid on public procurements, because of the Buy-American-Act, keeping European companies out of that part of the American marked.
    Now obviously these points just give an overarching picture of the trade and tariff situation, but reality certainly does not show that America is getting shafted by trading with the EU, as Trump would like the American public to believe.

Its from a Danish media (sort of like our NPR), but I've included a Google translate link in case any one should want to dive into it here.

This *will* hurt a bit.

Just one comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Finkelstein View Post
    I was reading an interesting article on the recent G7 summit, which had a section going through a few examples of what the trade and tariff situation between the US and the EU actually looks like.

Europe have an open marked where American companies can bid on public contracts from municipalities, regions and states.
    America only allow American companies to bid on public procurements, because of the Buy-American-Act, keeping European companies out of that part of the American market.
    Then again: how many American public contracts *are* there, really? How many new American bridge, tunnel, railway, train line projects are really there that European companies can't bid on? And when was the last time that you heard of an American company that did a successful bid on, say, a European tunnel project? I strongly doubt that they still have the know-how to be competitive here.
    "Better an honest enemy than a shitty friend that's robbing you blind."

All hat & no cattle

Quote Originally Posted by Etelka View Post
    Just one comment:
    Then again: how many American public contracts *are* there, really? How many new American bridge, tunnel, railway, train line projects are really there that European companies can't bid on? And when was the last time that you heard of an American company that did a successful bid on, say, a European tunnel project? I strongly doubt that they still have the know-how to be competitive here.
    I work in Health, and a US company (Epic) won the biggest public procurement ever in Health-IT in my country - Although it turned into a clusterfuck beyond belief, it does show that US companies are allowed and can win the bids in the EU.
    I don't know about classic infrastructure projects, though.

Mangina at large.

Current and recently completed projects:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States

There's some transportation projects (tunnels, bridges, subway, etc.) worth a total of about $185 billion, including high-speed rail where one would expect the winner to be from outside the U.S. (the U.S. has almost zero high-speed rail lines) if such companies were allowed to bid. And that list doesn't include the $30 billion Hudson tunnel that Trump blocked back in March. So $215 billion. Just in transport.

This *will* hurt a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    Current and recently completed projects:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States

There's some transportation projects (tunnels, bridges, subway, etc.) worth a total of about $185 billion, including high-speed rail where one would expect the winner to be from outside the U.S. (the U.S. has almost zero high-speed rail lines) if such companies were allowed to bid. And that list doesn't include the $30 billion Hudson tunnel that Trump blocked back in March. So $215 billion. Just in transport.
    That's for over a decade ahead though, so that's about 20 billion a year, and a good part of it is still up in the air if it's still going to be built anyway. BTW: fifty BILLION for some tram and bus project in Seattle? If they're going to buy one thousand buses that's still going to go down to fifty million for each bus they buy??

Mangina at large.

Looking at the wiki for the project, it's $53 billion in 2041 dollars. The project includes:

-226 new commuter trains servicing 100 km of new rail and 37 new stations (plus some infill stations on the old line);
    -two new bus rapid lines (50 km for one, 24 km for the other), along with bus upgrades and improvements to existing rapid lines;
    -29 km of new commuter train line, including upgraded commuter trains;
    -8500 new parking stalls for Park and Ride customers.

The "bus rapid lines" means adding a lane to the existing highways and reworking all the on-ramps/off-ramps where required. Considering how many of the new roads and rail lines are through urban areas, it's a major project.

Quote Originally Posted by Etelka
    a good part of it is still up in the air if it's still going to be built anyway.
    Some of the California high-speed rail money is being held up by Congress, and the later stages of the Second Avenue Subway project are still in development, but the rest is either completed or being completed. But even at 20 billion per year, just the transport figure alone could increase the EU's total service exports by 2%. Just transport. Scroll down the megaproject wiki and you get to "urban renewal and planned cities", and there's another $120 billion in American projects listed there, like the almost $9 billion Sasol is spending in Louisiana building a world-scale petrochemical complex. And again, these are just the $1 B+ projects.

This *will* hurt a bit.

Looking at the wiki for the project, it's $53 billion in 2041 dollars.
    Err.. My country alone, by those standards, easily beats that. Nevermind the rest of the EU. They're levels that are pitifully low.

like the almost $9 billion Sasol is spending in Louisiana building a world-scale petrochemical complex. And again, these are just the $1 B+ projects.
    That's a but lower that what's being invested, annually, in Romania. I should be impressed by this?

Entropy happens

Well, keep in mind that it's Infrastructure Week this week, so there will probably be a lot more projects announced any minute now...

Trump canceled the Hudson tunnel because he did not like what NY isnt supporting his agenda.

Even though its eventually going to become no choice because those Amtrak tunnels are 100+ years old. But hey a 20bn dollar wall in the desert is just fine even though it adds zero economic benefit to the country, While easing transport delays on one of the busiest regional corridors in the world for rail absolutely would have positive economic impact. Modern tunnels also would allow the Acela to run even faster, It has to run really slow in the 100yr old tunnels because they are too narrow for the train to tilt.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    ó Jerry Seinfeld

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Etelka
    That's a but lower that what's being invested, annually, in Romania. I should be impressed by this?
    You're correct. I should quote total amounts, and not just mention big projects.

http://bush.tamu.edu/psaa/capstones/...0Version-1.pdf

From 2015: $148.7 billion in non-military contracts (approx.) were issued by the American government that were subject to Buy American restrictions. That's roughly equivalent to 15% of the EU's total service exports. Is the opportunity to increase service exports by 15% noteworthy enough?

This *will* hurt a bit.

You're correct. I should quote total amounts, and not just mention big projects.

http://bush.tamu.edu/psaa/capstones/...0Version-1.pdf

From 2015: $148.7 billion in non-military contracts (approx.) were issued by the American government that were subject to Buy American restrictions. That's roughly equivalent to 15% of the EU's total service exports. Is the opportunity to increase service exports by 15% noteworthy enough?
    That's quite a bit of money, yes. (Still just one percent of an economy, but OK, I'll stop complaining now.)

Mangina at large.

Over 60% of the people who served in senior positions at the beginning of the administration are no longer there. The latest: Joe Hagin, deputy chief of staff for operations, the guy who was lead for planning the Singapore summit.

https://boingboing.net/2018/06/19/ye...ite-house.html

Forum Arcanist

Don't have a link to the story, but now Pruitt's been found to have spent over $3,000 for "tactical pants and polos" supposedly for his security needs.

Elder Arcanist

WTF are tactical pants?

All hat & no cattle

Quote Originally Posted by Khieran View Post
    WTF are tactical pants?
    Quote Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_pants
    Tactical pants are closely related to cargo pants, but with some technical modifications, and specially designed as everyday wear for a range of professions from EMTs, FBI and SWAT Team agents, law enforcement officers, and military and fire professionals.

These pants were originally worn by mountain climbers, but now are made in several different styles. Tactical pants typically are solid in color, distinguishing them from cargo pants[citation needed]. Made with lightweight materials (65% polyester and 35% poly cotton ripstop), the belt loops are made thick enough to support a large belt to carry the weight of a sidearm, handcuffs or other equipment. External knife pockets are common, and the double reinforced seat and knees provide enhanced abrasion protection, with interior knee slots ready to accept 6mm neoprene kneepads.

Various styles can be reinforced with bar-tacks, gussets, and certain brands are even coated with Teflon.
    Sounds exactly like what an Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency needs in his daily work...

Lost Bard
    Even More Lost Bard

He has to fight the environment on a daily basis, there's a lot of dangerous stuff out there that probably hates him specifically.

All hat & no cattle

Quote Originally Posted by Ruldar View Post
    He has to fight the environment on a daily basis, there's a lot of dangerous stuff out there that probably hates him specifically.
    PvE in the true sense of the word?

...Sorry, I had to.

Elder Arcanist

Pruitt directly asked Trump to replace Sessions with him

(CNN) ó Embattled Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt directly appealed to President Donald Trump this spring to fire Attorney General Jeff Sessions and let him run the Department of Justice instead, according to three people familiar with the proposal. In an Oval Office conversation with Trump, Pruitt offered to temporarily replace Sessions for 210 days under the Vacancies Reform Act, telling the President he would return to Oklahoma afterward to run for office.

Pruitt's direct appeal to the President has not been reported previously.

Advisers quickly shot down the proposal, but it came at a time when Trump's frustration with Sessions over his decision to recuse himself from overseeing the Russia investigation had resurfaced. Trump has complained loudly and publicly about the recusal for the last 14 months, and floated replacing Sessions with Pruitt as recently as April.

The Federal Vacancies Reform Act of 1998 gives the President the authority to temporarily fill a vacancy at a federal agency if the official "dies, resigns, or is otherwise unable to perform the functions and duties of the office."

The White House did not respond to requests for comment.

In a statement sent after initial publication of this story, Pruitt said, "This report is simply false. General Sessions and I are friends and I have always said I want nothing more than to see him succeed in his role."

A spokesman for the EPA had initially said the agency "will not be commenting on anonymous sources who are working to distract Americans from the Trump Administration's accomplishments on regulatory certainty and environmental stewardship."

The offer from Pruitt -- and the President's consideration -- further signals how confident he has remained in Pruitt despite a dizzying number of ethics issues. Asked in June if he planned to fire Pruitt, Trump declined to answer, noting the "fantastic job" he has done at the EPA.

"I'm not happy about certain things, I'll be honest," Trump told reporters on the North Lawn of the White House. "I'm not happy about certain things. But he's done a fantastic job running the EPA, which is very overriding. But I am not happy about it."

Pruitt, who is facing at least 14 federal probes, and his scandals have plagued the administration for months. On Monday, it was revealed that he and his aides kept "secret" calendars and schedules and would discuss which meetings and calls with industry representatives and others to include or omit from their publicly released calendar, according to a former EPA official who is expected to soon testify before Congress. A review of EPA documents by CNN found discrepancies between Pruitt's official calendar and other records. If the allegations are true, the practice of keeping secret calendars and altering or deleting records of meetings could violate federal law as either "falsifying records" or hiding public records, according to legal experts interviewed by CNN.

During a press gaggle aboard Air Force One on Tuesday, White House deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley called the numerous reports about Pruitt "troublesome" and said the President was concerned about them.

White House officials continue to be perplexed by Pruitt's good standing with the President. While Trump has privately acknowledged that the EPA chief has created a slew of bad headlines, there is no plan to dismiss Pruitt right now, according to several sources inside the White House.

Before taking over the EPA, Pruitt was the attorney general of Oklahoma. He served two terms as chairman of RAGA, the Republican network for state attorneys general.

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Article excerpt
    During a press gaggle aboard Air Force One on Tuesday, White House deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley called the numerous reports about Pruitt "troublesome" and said the President was concerned about them.
    I wonder what he finds troublesome: Pruitt's activities, or that they were reported in the media. Who am I kidding - it's the report thing.

Pruitt is a mess, he wants to get rid of all environmental protection and on top of that he has no issue burning tax payer dollars on pointless shit. One of his biggest was a secured phone line, It should be noted the EPA building has a secure phone room already. He just did not want to ever have to get off his ass to use it.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    ó Jerry Seinfeld