Thread: 12-String Electric Guitar Build

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

12-String Electric Guitar Build

A few weeks ago, I was browsing the used parts bin at Starving Musicians in Santa Clara CA and I discovered a rare find, a neck for a 12-string electric guitar made by a company called Framus in Germany in 1965.

Well, about 4 years ago I was going out for ice cream with a friend when I spotted a clock made out of what appeared to be a small slab or redwood burl laying in an alleyway next to a dumpster. Knowing that burl slabs are a limited resource, I snagged the clock and stored it in my workshop.

After I found the neck, I knew what I had to do with that redwood burl slab. So I bought the neck, and a neck mounting back plate, and some replacement grommets for the tuners. I repaired the damaged tuners and cleaned and polished the neck, fillefd the old mounting holes, and set it aside.
    002.jpg
    001.jpg

I removed the numbers from the clock face, took out the clock mechanism, and sanded all the nasty old brown paint off the front and back of the burl slab. Then I shaded in pencil the areas that had large voids or other flaws, and sawed them off.
    003.jpg004.jpg
    005.jpg006.jpg

Then I sanded it A LOT, and routed out a nice pocket for the neck.
    007.jpg

I drilled and mounted the neck to help set up the guitar.
    008.jpg

I painted the neck mounting back plate black, and baked the finish to harden it. I had gone on eBay and found a great seller, iknmusic, who sold me a 12-string Tune-o-matic bridge and a nice humbucking bridge pickupfor under $21 with free shipping. Amazing deals!
    009.jpg

I install the bridge's tailpiece, and set the Intonation using a sacrificial set of six strings so the bridge's saddles are in the right range.
    010.jpg

Time to finish the new guitar body! I make a combination of handle and drying stand.
    011.jpg012.jpg
    013.jpg

First coat of spray lacquer drying:
    014.jpg

Second coat drying:
    015.jpg

Six coats later, it was done. I waited for the lacquer to cure, then I installed the pickup and fed the wire through the channel and soldered it to my shielded socket and ran the bridge ground out from there through a second channel.
    016.jpg

See the tuning fork? That's how I made sure it worked before going on to attach the neck and the strap buttons and rear cavity cover. I really like my little Epiphone Tweed mini amp, I put a nicer speaker in it and it rocks.
    017.jpg

Here is the finished product, which I played last night until my fingers started to give out:
    018.jpg

Elder Arcanist

Re: 12-String Electric Guitar Build

Most awesome!
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

fuck

yes

Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

That's cool as hell Ali

"With your shield, or on it"

Formerly: Tzakapotek
    Celine Dijon
    Blog Entries

That rocks.

I love the way you repurpose stuff for your builds. She's got a wicked shape! How does she sound?
    I go missing
    No longer exist
    One day
    I hope
    I’m someone you miss

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

A bit like a church organ sometimes actually. When it's not sounding like that guitar of Roger McGuinn's that is.

Here is some more of the pretty: http://imgur.com/a/2GVF6
    Last edited by Alikat Astrae; September 19th, 2016 at 11:19 PM.

Humble & proud of it!
    pseudo-intellectual elitist

Just the one pick up or ... ?

I have a buddy who is a total maniac about electric guitar history (and quite a musician himself.) As well, I have a business acquaintance that would LOVE love LOVE to see this. (He does repair and builds instruments himself ... master craftsmen making rare wood instruments from the dark ages or something ...)
    /Users/davidyoung/WindowsDisk1/Documents and Settings/GreenSnoop/My Documents/Aennyil.png

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Just one pickup, no controls at all, and the shielded cable from the bridge humbucker is connected directly to a shielded socket. It's the most simple, least-loaded setup possible, designed to deliver a clean analog signal to my tube pre-amp.

Freakin neat! Well done.
    Quelian Spyralshot

Reach out and Torch someone.

Tasty Danish

So damn awesome.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"