Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: So... Brexit

Re: So... Brexit

can the MPs totally cancel Brexit and keep the UK in the EU?
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Mangina at large.

Not without the EU's consent, and given they want a justification for even a delay in Brexit, whether the UK could secure that consent is an open question.

can the MPs totally cancel Brexit and keep the UK in the EU?
    Yes, there was a court case late last year that ascertained that we (the UK) could unilaterally revoke the Article 50 notification providing it was in good faith. Delores is correct, however, that a delay requires EU consent.
    Herb
    Blog

All hat & no cattle

I wish they would just have a new vote on the EU-membership, and while they are preparing that, investigate the money-steam to Farage & Co., especially from foreign donors.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Reese-Mogg is definitely in line for a kiss from a 3' razor blade IMHO

SOB is making a packet from all this, snooty inbred cuntoid

Never in the field of Human treachery
    has so much been done
    to so may
    by so few

This *will* hurt a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    Not without the EU's consent, and given they want a justification for even a delay in Brexit, whether the UK could secure that consent is an open question.
    Herbert's right, but in the UK's parliament, delaying it is much more of an issue than cancelling right now. And they're going to need a good story for that, and probably some concessions. But cancelling really isn't on the agenda at the moment. My guess right now is that they're going to be in a sort of EU-limbo for quite some time. They're refusing to make up their minds right now, and it looks like that's the way it's going to stay. If you want to know just how long such a limbo can last, just ask Turkey.
    "Better an honest enemy than a shitty friend that's robbing you blind."

All hat & no cattle

Well, May is going to put up her deal again (and maybe again) in hopes that sooner or later a majority is going to buckle and settle for her deal, rather than go through the trouble of postponing, if they are allowed to do that by the EU.
    So maybe the deal will go through before the closing date.

Funnily enough the no-vote on Mays deal is not something that should be respected, but the no-vote to continued EU-membership is apparently sacred and must be respected at all cost, even though that vote was overwriting a previous yes-vote on the same issue.

It's also funny, that over the last 7 days we've had the Prime Minister and a number of cabinet ministers state that if they allowed a further referendum we not leave the EU at all - i.e. they are admitting that they know the country no longer wishes to leave the EU, but are carrying on regardless.

What a fucking farce.
    Herb
    Blog

All hat & no cattle

Quote Originally Posted by HerbertDypp View Post
    It's also funny, that over the last 7 days we've had the Prime Minister and a number of cabinet ministers state that if they allowed a further referendum we not leave the EU at all - i.e. they are admitting that they know the country no longer wishes to leave the EU, but are carrying on regardless.

What a fucking farce.
    Of course, the money poured into duping the votes will be lost, if they don't get their Brexit.

Mangina at large.

The Beaverton (satire site) did a Brexit article today. The last line was the one that had punch:

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/03...hat-brexit-is/

EDIT: oh, and they voted for the delay today. Time to beg the EU to grant it.
    Last edited by Delores Mulva; March 14th, 2019 at 03:57 PM.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    Time to beg the EU to grant it.
    And time for the EU to laugh in their face and make them live with the consequences of their actions. And if that's cutting off your nose to spite your face, sometimes your face needs to be spited.

This *will* hurt a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    And time for the EU to laugh in their face and make them live with the consequences of their actions. And if that's cutting off your nose to spite your face, sometimes your face needs to be spited.
    That's what's happening already, so I really don't see any need to kick them out for that, except for some strange desire to stoop down to the Brexiter's level.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Etelka View Post
    I really don't see any need to kick them out for that, except for some strange desire to stoop down to the Brexiter's level.
    It's not stooping, it's being fair. Actions should have consequences. You voted for it, Britain, now live with it.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Finkelstein View Post
    Of course, the money poured into duping the votes will be lost, if they don't get their Brexit.
    and the people who got all of that money will be spending it all on trying to get things like, oh, I dunno, food....electricity....all the sorts of things that the UK imports for daily life.

They refine materials for nuclear power....that come from countries other than england...and sell them to europe at large...WHOOPS, there goes THAT border crossing transfer for money and the electrical grid on both sides of the channel.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

It's not stooping, it's being fair. Actions should have consequences. You voted for it, Britain, now live with it.
    That's like saying American voters knew what they were getting into when they voted for Trump.

This was an orchestrated effort to deliberately coerce votes with spin and a lack of information.

Brexit was the fairy liquid jingle of politics, but with noone actually buying any cleaning power.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

This *will* hurt a bit.

And the EU's leadership isn't obligated to be particularly fair to third party states. They voted for something, now it's our politicians' duty to get us the best deal possible. That's what they're for. If that works out better for a third party's voters than they had intended themselves then they just got lucky I suppose.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick ap'Milandra View Post
    That's like saying American voters knew what they were getting into when they voted for Trump.
    Correct. And they did know what they were getting --President Trump is acting just like Candidate Trump did.

And the EU's leadership isn't obligated to be particularly fair to third party states. They voted for something, now it's our politicians' duty to get us the best deal possible.
    How would a no-deal Brexit hurt the EU? Seems like a good opportunity to lure businesses out of Britain.

This *will* hurt a bit.

How would a no-deal Brexit hurt the EU? Seems like a good opportunity to lure businesses out of Britain.
    We happen to do a lot of trade with them. And I just like my neighbors to be rich and prosperous. Must be crazy, I know.

Besides, what is it now? Would it be, in your words, cutting your nose to spite your face? Or would it be a merely a good business opportunity? What happened in the last two days that made you change your mind on that?

Ellsworth M. Toohey

We happen to do a lot of trade with them.
    You still can, just like you trade with lots of countries outside the EU.

Besides, what is it now? Would it be, in your words, cutting your nose to spite your face? Or would it be a merely a good business opportunity? What happened in the last two days that made you change your mind on that?
    Nothing. They're not mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by PPatty; March 16th, 2019 at 03:08 PM.

This *will* hurt a bit.

You still can, just like you trade with lots of countries outside the EU.
    Yes. Of course. Thank you for your advice as usual.