Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 28g Nano Reef Saltwater Build

28g Nano Reef Saltwater Build

The last pieces of the main build just came in yesterday.

I spent about $700 on materials, and I am figuring about $100 additional in a couple of other things I was on the fence about that I might still purchase before I take the final dive.

So Far:

JBJ MTS-603 LED Intermediate Nano-Cube All-In-One Aquarium
    includes:
    -Lighting System for Display Tank including Seperate power source for Night & Day LEDs
    -In-Back Hidden Filtration Chamber/System
    -2 integrated pumps (modifiable)
    -Wave Maker Relay for pumps
    -Media Basket (I probably will never use this, but I'm still not ruling it out)
    -MTS-620 Stand (Beautiful Stand, but did not come with any instructions for how to assemble. Thankfully, I have put together plenty of IKEA furniture to figure this thing out pretty quickly, also has enough room beneath it for a sump, which I might add to the system one day.

Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
    -This is really the thing that is newest to me. I've never used one before, and I understand how they work, but the whole concept of air columns dissolving unused proteins and ridding them into airbubbles is still mindboggling to me. Besides the Aquarium, this is what I spent the most money on.

Eheim Jager 150 Watt Heater
    -This heater is actually about 2 times the size of what this cube needs, but it seems everyone recommends this size for the cube. I imagine it has something to do with water displacement between the sump or sump system in back.

40+5 pounds Carib Sea Aragonite Live Sand

41 pounds Base, unseeded Rock

50 pounds Reef Salt Crystals (will make 160 gallons, which potentially, I might never use all of).

____

All in all, i'm very excited. I'll post a picture of what the tank looks like later. It has been extremely hot lately, and I'm not too inclined on buying a refrigeration unit for this system, so I'm holding out just a little bit of possibility that my wife might say to put it downstairs (doubtful, highly, highly doubtful) where the house is always about 6 degrees cooler.

_____

Items I might need to purchase in addition to what I have (that make up that ~$100 afterthought)
    Refugium Mud
    Refugium Light
    Refugium Algae
    Copepod/Amphipod starter colony.

_____

I just finished designing my mancave before purchasing this, and I didn't quite factor in how big this "nano" would actually be. So I need to move one of my shelving units around and put it in its place, if my wife doesn't jump on board with the idea of having it downstairs. So, my first project is to redesign my cave again, move things around a little better, and then go from there.

_____

Super excited, but taking this extremely patiently.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Re: 28g Nano Reef Saltwater Build

Only one thing left to buy:

Humble & proud of it!
    pseudo-intellectual elitist

I bought that years ago to give my fish live food. Put them in a fish bowl with an air stone. Major fail. By the time I realized my mistakes the live was not. I made a rancid ugly mess of it.

Humble & proud of it!

Tinth that looks awesome. I will say your implementer and follow through energies are both way beyond mine. I'm high quick start and follow through resistant.

http://www.kolbe.com/ for those wondering what those words mean.

Looks smaller and distant from where i am sitting in this picture, but i can see both tanks with great detail from my man couch and also watch the television at the same time.

Sent using TAPATALK via Android
    Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; June 4th, 2016 at 11:20 PM.

This is what it looks like this morning after 7 hours of the pumps attempting to clear the mud of adding live sand with water already in.

Most people advise against this route, but i wanted to speed my cycle and get as much nitro bacteria all over the system as quickly as possible.

Can't wait to see it clear.

Humble & proud of it!

Do you buy pre-cleaned sand these days or ... My first tank ever I had to clean it in a bucket in the tub then let the water and filters etc. settle a week. I still remember the smell that gravel gave the water till the fish added their bio to it. Miss that smell! Things have changed so much from what we knew in the 60's. Dark ages man, dark ages!

The sand i bought was prepackaged aragonite live sand.
    Allegedly from the Florida coast. It advises not to rinse it because it is live, and because of that, you're supposed to add it to the tank before the water goes in, but i was doing a whole bunch of stuff at once and just threw it in there.

Because it is live it was FILLED with protein foam. If i knew it was going to foam up like that, i would have hooked up my protein skimmer.

Humble & proud of it!

Whoopsie. Live and learn eh? Is it resolving or do you need to call the shop for advise?

It is resolving slowly. i couldnt see anything yesterday morning, and while last night i started to see outlines of the live rock against the glass, i turned on the protein skimmer last night and gave it a couple doses of sea clear and could see the outlet pumps this morning.

I'll do a water change today, even though it'll clear up on its own eventually.

Jeeeeeesus.

Okay, I'm starting to understand why experienced hobbyists advise to stay far away from these all in one things. I accidentally dropped a pipe elbow down the back side of this while i was configuring where the skimmer fits into it, and FUCK ME SIDEWAYS that was a bitch to get out.

First things first, before i spend any money on expensive coral or supplemental lights, I'm getting an actual sump to stick underneath the stand because JESUS that was nearly impossible getting my hand back there with HALF a tank of water in the tank.

Humble & proud of it!

Yikes! You learn something new every day, eh?

Is clearing up. I bought purigen yestrrday and put a pack in. I might put another one in too. Still as foggy as a September morning in San Francisco.

Humble & proud of it!

Better

Well, that little crab died and the snails are up at the top of the tank. The other crab i bought is still walking around. I only spent a buck on each, but I don't enjoy critter death in any of my tanks, ever.

New horizons. Just gonna let these guys die and rot in the tank if they do - itll help cycle the tank, but now I've got to start watching the water chemistry.

So i stand corrected.

When I woke up this morning, I saw red crab legs on the sand next to the rock that the blue legged crab I bought wandered over to last night before going to bed. I didn't see the blue legged crab anywhere, at first, but later saw his shell in the opposite corner.

I saw the red crab body next to that area, and his shell on the "sea floor" next to it. I figured, for some reason he got sick. Maybe the other blue legged crab got mad at him. Whatever it was, he died.

Or so I thought.

When I got home from work today, I saw that pose from the top of the highest rock. It was a, "This is mine" look. THe shell he was in (And definitely the same crab that had been in the other shell which I previously thought lay dead on the sand below) was the shell he was fiddling with last night before I went to bed. I thought maybe he just wanted to get into it; this is all still a little new to me.

What I have to figure transpired, is he evicted that shell of its resident, which I didn't know was in it. Apparently these red legged crabs aren't supposed to get along with eachother. The blue legged guy and he should be fine, so long as they have plenty of shells to choose from between them, but the shy fellow he took care of while the lights were out paid an unfair price - one that I wasn't aware he was residing in the tank over, but I should have double checked all the shells that the LFS owner grabbed for me.

Good news is that I didn't lose any residents due to chemistry errors (so far, anyway). Looks like there was a scuffle I could not have prevented. Makes me happy. So far I might actually be doing things right.

I felt sort of proud for that little bastard. He has a bigger shell now. He is king of the mountain. All the residents are still alive and... scrapping.

Humble & proud of it!

Baby steps, huh?

Almost a week now and the crabs and snails are all alive.

Tempted to buy stocking stuff now, but I'm holding myself back.