Thread: Home Wireless/Wired Network configurations

Home Wireless/Wired Network configurations

So I'm getting a little tired of my current WiFi configuration. The Downstairs living room is where the cable comes in from the street, and I have the cable modem. That isn't too big a deal, but I want a better signal throughout the home.

If I put a Cat5 cable from the cable modem (Point A) on say, #3, and link it to an uplink port on a wireless router (Point B) upstairs, and then set up a repeater (Point C) on the same channel information as the router, and then plug in via cat5 into the repeater (Point C), the devices in the room I want "wired." will that work?

I know, I'll be at the mercy of the repeater/wireless from Point B to Point C, but it should reduce, significantly, the amount of conflict from all the other devices right?

If this is a good idea, I'm considering getting a higher bandwidth Repeater and Router in order to perform this better, but I'm going to start with some old ones that I've got on hand that I'm not doing very much with.

Point A, and Point B are on two different levels of the home from eachother. I've currently got some Coax Cable going from one floor to the other through the wall, so I figured I'd pull the plates and send the cat 5 down against the coax in order to get this part done easily. I hate wires running everywhere, and don't want to go through the attic (there's virtually no crawlspace in this home), so WiFi at a short distance in this fashion is my next best option.

Elder Arcanist

Re: Home Wireless/Wired Network configurations

I wouldn't suggest burying your wireless IP scheme under a second layer of private IP addresses. It will come back to bite you in the ass.
    (Public IP Pool) <-> [Cable modem] - (Private IP Pool) - [Wireless router] - (Private IP Pool)

The proper method would be to use something like this to create a flat infrastructure. I use these APs in my house and love them. (not affiliated as anything other than a satisfied customer)

Quote Originally Posted by Eremius View Post
    I wouldn't suggest burying your wireless IP scheme under a second layer of private IP addresses. It will come back to bite you in the ass.
    (Public IP Pool) <-> [Cable modem] - (Private IP Pool) - [Wireless router] - (Private IP Pool)

The proper method would be to use something like this to create a flat infrastructure. I use these APs in my house and love them. (not affiliated as anything other than a satisfied customer)
    Besides the ip layering, is my brain in the right place for its structure?

I'll look into this device, but I'm trying not to spend additional money if I do not have to.

No prison can hold me!

You have the right of it. Don't worry about what Eremius was talking about for a cable modem. Unless you got a gateway you should be getting a public IP on your router. The router then should be doing dhcp from a private pool to your computers. Wired or wireless.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Elder Arcanist

I still like Ethernet closets...

Quote Originally Posted by Ackar View Post
    I still like Ethernet closets...

I love this man.

If I had more of an attic, or room in the vents, I would do this. I could do it under the carpet, possibly, but that would also be a bit of work. I'll think about it though. I might do it anyway.

hella Star-Demon :3

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
    I love this man.

If I had more of an attic, or room in the vents, I would do this. I could do it under the carpet, possibly, but that would also be a bit of work. I'll think about it though. I might do it anyway.
    I super highly recommend ripping out your carpets when you get some time, especially if any of you have allergies. Assuming you have a concrete foundation it is preferable to carpet. It is impossible to not have grotesque carpetry regardless of how much it is cleaned, even by professional cleaning crews. It is harder to maintain compared to all other flooring options and degrades overtime in the quality of texture. I am not impressed at all by the integrity of stained concrete even though I enjoy its patterns, so it is a waste of resources IMO. If I had to have a carpet though I would have astroturf as it is easier to maintain.

Carpet simply is not made for humans.

So. DD-WRT Linksys Router. Configured as a Repeater (From over a year ago). Ran the Cat 5. Have Cat 5 going from the Cable Modem downstairs in the living room, to the Repeater up in the Man Cave (Yes, I know, the Repeater is not necessary in this case).

I tried plugging in from my laptop (which is connected wirelessly) via Cat5 into the Repeater.

It doesn't want to connect via Ethernet From windows to the Router/Repeater.

I cannot remember how to do this.

I guess I could just hard reset the router, but I'd rather not. I also have a TP-Link router configured with DD-WRT, but I'd rather get this Linksys to work.

I tried running into 10.0.0.1 as well as 192.168.1.1 but they're trying to connect through the wireless gateway instead.

i have no idea how i am going to get back imto the dd wrt router screens on either of these routers, but the good news, is the tp link was already vonfigured for vlient bridge mode (as far as i can tell) and i am able to run the tp link as a separate router to the cable modem as well as a repeater access poimt for this polar opposite of the house.

my wife came in here while i was configuring the audio amd let out an, "i wamt internet on MY tv" after she realixed everythimg i'd been doing for the last vouple of hours.

all in al, i'd say this is a big win. i have my laptop configured as an htpc, amd i have a little rii8 wireless keyboard as what i am typing on at this very moment.
    perhaps next weekend, i shall try amd hack the linksys router to a new configuration for ,y in laws mext door.

Kinky Euro

all in al, i'd say this is a big win. i have my laptop configured as an htpc, amd i have a little rii8 wireless keyboard as what i am typing on at this very moment.
    perhaps next weekend, i shall try amd hack the linksys router to a new configuration for ,y in laws mext door.
    That keyboard is too small bro

Quote Originally Posted by Ronaan View Post
    That keyboard is too small bro
    My current keyboard has > 1000 possible keys per layout. Come at me bro. I am actually not joking. It is more like a game controller than a traditional keyboard as its main advantage is running macros for things like debugging/reverse engineering code etc. Because everything is done on the firmware side it is cross-platform without having to write a new driver for it that the OS understands. If the USB HID spec wasn't complete shit I would not have had to write a lot of hacks to get it to work correctly though. I wish there was a convenient to access way to embed my 3D mouse in it though.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; March 1st, 2016 at 03:08 AM.

i have no idea how i am going to get back imto the dd wrt router screens on either of these routers, but the good news, is the tp link was already vonfigured for vlient bridge mode (as far as i can tell) and i am able to run the tp link as a separate router to the cable modem as well as a repeater access poimt for this polar opposite of the house.

my wife came in here while i was configuring the audio amd let out an, "i wamt internet on MY tv" after she realixed everythimg i'd been doing for the last vouple of hours.

Spellcheck motherfucker do you know about it

Kinky Euro

Well that's what I was aiming at with the "too small" comment, keyboard too small or fingers too big.

Not even a too small, but a very angular keyboard layout. Instead of the staggered placement of each key between each row of keys above and/or below it like on a traditional desktop qwerty keyboard, the rii8 keyboard is at a tetris-block like fixedness to itself.

I do have a logitech wireless keyboard, but its too big. I like the simple thumb-ness of the little rii8 keyboard.

Somebody has GOT to make a better alternative to those damn touchpads for wireless, though -- somehow.

Not even a too small, but a very angular keyboard layout. Instead of the staggered placement of each key between each row of keys above and/or below it like on a traditional desktop qwerty keyboard, the rii8 keyboard is at a tetris-block like fixedness to itself.

I do have a logitech wireless keyboard, but its too big. I like the simple thumb-ness of the little rii8 keyboard.

Somebody has GOT to make a better alternative to those damn touchpads for wireless, though -- somehow.
    IDK what it is but that is what makes my hands ache the most is the trackpad. I can't figure it out. But even if I use Apple's insanely great trackpad design and execution or Logitech's approximation of it (which is also really good in the context of trackpads which with exception to early versions of IBM's clitmouse is the best laptop mouse execution), it sets my tendons on fire in short order. It's unique in that as no other device bothers me anymore to use for reasonable amounts of times.

Also, looking up that keyboard you are using, you poor goddamn soul. I would rather use a comfortable software keyboard over those little nibbly keys in a matrix. That is a great example of the > 99% of HID not being designed for humans. Nothing about that device is made for humans. The persons who would be suited to use it don't exist.

Even if they wanted to be lazy, thoughtless bastard children they could have rainbowned the keys about some vertex. They have endless better examples available through musical instruments to inspire them. That is extremely aggravating to see.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; March 1st, 2016 at 11:50 PM.

Elder Arcanist

.I just saw this on youtube.

that video reminded me of this:

wire management.jpg

No prison can hold me!

That is both impressive and awesome. It's like a work of art.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

pretty much, it is. none of those lines actually are anything carryimg a load. everythimg of importance is going through the conduit. whatever hes got going on tghere is just for the spectacle

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Last time I saw that image the subtitle was "how to tell an electrician is paid by the hour"
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums