Thread: New Star Trek Series - CBS Only

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Re: New Star Trek Series - CBS Only

Quote Originally Posted by PPatty View Post
    Brevet, which has been replaced by frocking
    Cool.

Thanks for that information!
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Mangina at large.

Mangina at large.

The Picard stuff is coming out late 2019, or as CBS is putting it, "Discovery to start the year, Picard to finish it."

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

And it's still not on netflix.

Mangina at large.

Our Sy-Fy channel (Space) has been showing the Short Treks series of shorts, in addition to Discovery. I wonder if they'll also get the rights to Picard?

No prison can hold me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    And it's still not on netflix.
    Just makes it easier to never watch.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

The first episode of the second season is on Youtube for now.

I personally want my hour back. I wasn't impressed at all.

I would prefer to get an option to buy the whole seasons for 30 bucks rather than subscribe for a month only to watch this and then get rid of it until the next season is complete for 10 dollars at a time.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
    I would prefer to get an option to buy the whole seasons for 30 bucks rather than subscribe for a month only to watch this and then get rid of it until the next season is complete for 10 dollars at a time.
    People are saying the same about DC Universe and how they spread out their few offerings.

Elder Arcanist

DC Universe is like $80 a year. It's not bad considering it gives you access to some of their comic library (although it would be better if it gave you access to all of their comics. So far, with the exception of about 3 weeks between the end of Titans and the beginning of Young Justice they have been able to roll out new content. I will say, Young Justice has been worth every penny so far.

As for Discovery, I've really enjoyed it. Sure, it messes with technology a bit (they didn't have holograms on the original show!!!), but I'm willing to suspend disbelief and give them a break for advances in special effects technology. I mean, an iPhone or Galaxy is far superior technology than a tricorder ever was and we have those now. Does that invalidate all of TNG?
    Last edited by Dramadon; January 28th, 2019 at 11:21 AM.

I would say no to invalidating TNG. TNG, DS9, VOY are all in the TOS-Verse. That is they are based on the original show timeline. Some say things like the new movies are based on the Enterprise timeline.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    I would say no to invalidating TNG. TNG, DS9, VOY are all in the TOS-Verse. That is they are based on the original show timeline. Some say things like the new movies are based on the Enterprise timeline.
    Don't get me wrong, I get why the purists are upset about Discovery. I do think there is a bit of "You didn't make Star Trek the way I think it should be so you are scum of the earth people!" going on, but I do think there are legitimate, and serious, issues that the show has. However, I have to believe the creators of the new show understand this and they need to explain why certain things, like the Mycelium Network, are not in existance by the time of the original series. And it needs to be better than "Star Fleet won't let us use it". Because you know there would be other people that would have no issue with using it. I'm guessing something happens to destroy the network. But at any rate, I don't think the series can be fairly judged (at least for it's impact on the Star Trek universe) based on individual episodes but by the entire show as a whole. They did a decent job of explaining away the disregard for rules displayed in season 1, but they still have work to do.

If you ignore the greater world out there, I have found most episodes of Discovery very entertaining with some compelling characters. And, they are finally starting to develop some of the other characters better, which is pretty standard for a season 2.

Mangina at large.

One of the shorts handwaves at why the network isn't in use:

Spoiler for The Discovery short:
    In the short on the ship itself, the ship tells someone it picked up that the entire crew left on a mission and told it to wait for them, and that happened about a thousand years ago. So at some point in the ship's future, it will be abandoned and never recovered. It's plausible that, with all the spores being on the ship and all the research being confined to the ship, that this could cause the Federation to lose the knowledge necessary to replicate the drive.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    One of the shorts handwaves at why the network isn't in use:

Spoiler for The Discovery short:
    In the short on the ship itself, the ship tells someone it picked up that the entire crew left on a mission and told it to wait for them, and that happened about a thousand years ago. So at some point in the ship's future, it will be abandoned and never recovered. It's plausible that, with all the spores being on the ship and all the research being confined to the ship, that this could cause the Federation to lose the knowledge necessary to replicate the drive.
    I don't buy it. Knowing it exists means that people will be looking and research and other papers written about this have to be located in places other than on that ship. I would accept Section 31 taking it and burying it though. It would certainly explain how members of Section 31 were able to appear and disappear seemingly out of thin air.

Elder Arcanist

Well, they've started trying to explain the continuity differences between this show and the others. Evidently, until the Empire became united Klingons just shaved their heads. I give that about a C, but it works. Also, Captain Pike prefers viewscreens so he never installed holographic communications on the Enterprise and then it became fashion to not have them on board. At least that's one theory I read. God I hope not. Just say they are easier to hack or their range is shorter or something that made them impractical. That would make much more sense.

they also tried the holoviewer on DS9 for a very short period. Though for that it was abandoned more for television production reasons, Apparently there were practicality issues on set.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

I think the differences in technology are the least of my concerns. I understand that the show would be harmed if they just limited themselves to the technologies available in the 1960's version of the show. I mean, we have television communications right now so it is actually more silly to think they would not have progressed further in the future than it is to suddenly seem to have technologies that didn't appear in TOS or even TNG.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

So what else is worth watching that's exclusive to CBS All Access?

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

A new Twilight Zone is coming April 1st.

Other than that...

Elder Arcanist

Umm....can I plead the 5th on that one?