Thread: Interested in electrical projects.

Interested in electrical projects.

I don't do much electrical, besides changing outlets, toggles, circuit breakers, and the like.
    I'd like to learn how to start diagnosing issues on control panels and the like when looking at resistors and diodes.
    Does anyone know of a kit that comes with a simple multimeter and instruction manual/video/kit with a circuit board and has some projects with it (essentially, more of an educational tool) that involve learning how to use the multimeter?
    I have a multimeter of my own, and I understand the concepts of its basic usage, but I would really like an altogether kit would teach basic concepts.
    Additionally, I would also like a circuit board soldering kit that would have a couple of projects in it that would involve things like getting a battery to a light bulb, and that sort of thing - the more recent of project integration the better, but anything that is a complete kit that will come with a soldering gun, solder, etc.
    Thank you for your assistance!

Re: Interested in electrical projects.

Got a smartphone?

First tool you want is an app called EveryCircuit. Best damn SPICE (electrical simulation) I've ever worked with for user interface. It's built to teach people how to do circuit diagrams with no knowledge. The tutorials can take someone from no knowledge to "let's fuck around" in a couple days. The pay version is worth it. In spades.

If you're already there, then you're looking for a breadboard and kit. There's a few out there, but that depends on budget.
    Quelian Spyralshot

Reach out and Torch someone.

hella Star-Demon :3

Work through this: http://www.phy.davidson.edu/instrumentation/NEETS.htm

It is designed for bringing people from no background to competency. Unless you are interested in programming, I would recommend getting involved in Ham Radio as a first project: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio

The US has excellent utility for this skill and you can utilize the resulting licenses for flying drones later on. So, not only is it a great skill for natural disaster situations but also fucking fun.

Any of the ARM Cortex microcontrollers will be inexpensive and be excellent starting points. There is the edX course that utilizes them and is very excellent. You will quickly gain competency in diagnosing and building circuits and requires minimal monetary investment. You can build a home electronics lab fairly inexpensively nowadays. You will want to get a digital multimeter, bread board and triple linear dc power supply, function generator, and a logic analyzer in that order.

On the software side, pirate altium designer. There are no good software utilities that are FOSS that can do EDA (electronic design automation). Unfortunately CAD work is an area where FOSS is tremendously weak compared to commercial products.

Also, the one book I recommend getting and reading is Art of Electronics Third Edition that came out recently: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronic...dp/0521809266/

Every edition has been classic as well as comprehensive and the third edition is no different. Eventually you will want to pick up learning VHDL or Verilog as well as C programming for digital design and embedded programming. I would recommend C++ over C but the more recent updates in the C++ standard that unfuck C++ to a great extent have not yet made their way to the available embedded compilers that are freely available and commercial licenses will be more expensive than what you will want to pay.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; August 5th, 2015 at 05:17 AM.

I highly recommend you take this course straightaway btw: https://www.edx.org/course/embedded-...stinx-ut-6-02x

I had an awesome microcontroller professor and course during my EE undergraduate degree and the edx course is comparable in quality and accessible without prior background. I worked through it to see how well they would be able to pull off EE labs online and they do a pretty great job of it I think, changed my mind on whether it was even possible to do without having a local lab students could go to. You will walkaway with a functional usage of electronic design and debugging and realize how trivial hacking electronics. Next step, reverse engineer a thermometer and begin collecting cease and desist love letters from megacorps.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; August 5th, 2015 at 11:19 AM.

Altium has pretty good documentation available online or on Youtube btw: http://techdocs.altium.com/display/A...ith+PCB+Design

It's much less of a clusterfuck to use than Cadance's software which I am convinced is designed to antagonize engineers into committing suicide.

Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

I would really suggest getting an arduino to play with. Lots of fun and you can go from no knowledge to a basic understanding real fast. With basic understanding you can do shit like this

What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

I wonder could that be rigged to beam sensors at each end of the stairs? so entry and exit of the stairway lights it up sequentially in the right direction and then shuts it off similarly?
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    I wonder could that be rigged to beam sensors at each end of the stairs? so entry and exit of the stairway lights it up sequentially in the right direction and then shuts it off similarly?
    Yes.

Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    The reason I didn't do that is because the stairs are in a wide open area (split level home) and it's mostly to see if one of the cats is asleep on the stairs at night with out having to also turn on the big light. I toyed with the idea of an IR beam or an ultrasonic sound sensor but I wasn't sure how that'd affect the cats so I just went with an IR sensor.

I can also hook it into my netbook and change the colours that go both up and down. You can't see it in the picture because i'm using the same colour both ways but the code sends the lights from one side to the other, eventually causing the colours to flip sides.
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

random question could one of these ARdunio units drive an E-Paper display?

I had a wild idea for an insane solution to people printing off their emails... Basically the idea is a device that emulates a printer to windows and someone could send their email to this printer and then read it on a Kindle like display.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

You would not even need an arduino system. Just a "print to kindle device" driver

*add on
    It might already exist in the Print/Send to Adobe Acrobat already
    Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; July 27th, 2016 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Add on

yea you can print to pdf, I was thinking purely from an idiot angle that they would need to see a printer and have it pop up on the screen almost instantly which would mean a device connected to the workstation itself.

I was kinda thinking a print to kindle but I bet most companies would not allow someone to hook up a Kindle, They would want some device that strictly did the one task as a "print to e-Paper" or something for security reasons.
    — Jerry Seinfeld