Thread: Hard Drive Issues

Forum Sorcerer

Hard Drive Issues

I have built a computer with 2 2tb drives in it. However, it sees one of the 2tb drives as 500gb, and I can't seem to figure out how to get it read it has a 2gb drive. I have taken the drive and plugged it into another computer and it shows as a 2tb drive. Any ideas?

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Re: Hard Drive Issues

Motherboard/OS?
    Hard drive models/connection type?

also what is seeing it as 500gb? Windows or the BIOS?

Also have you gone into the windows disk utility to make sure there is not any stray partitions on that drive

Control Panel > System and Security > Create and Formate Hard Disk Partitions if on windows 8 and I think 7 was fairly similar.

Also on Windows 8 you can just R-Click on the start button and select disk management.

I suspect for some reason that one drive has something going on and opening it in the disk management tool of windows might shed some light, But also check it in your BIOS if the Motherboard sees it as 2TB than it is certainly something at the partition or software level.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Forum Sorcerer

lol Sadly, I got my drives mixed up and somehow managed to put in a 500gb drive. It is working now that the drive in question is actually the 2tb.

Bedtime Hand Biter