Thread: Why do we have GiB and MiB for data storage?

Why do we have GiB and MiB for data storage?

This is something that has never really made sense to me. GB and MB are the exact same thing and denote the same storage. So is there a real purpose for them or is MiB and GiB just engineers stroking their egos and abandoning the commonly used term.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

No prison can hold me!

Re: Why do we have GiB and MiB for data storage?

Sales got ahold of the terminology a while ago. That's why. Originally people who used computers could do math and knew what 2^10 was and 2^20 etc. Insert dipshit sales person who sees 500 million bytes and calls it 500 MB and people point out that's wrong and why.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

hella Star-Demon :3

Re: Why do we have GiB and MiB for data storage?

Quote Originally Posted by Schezar View Post
    Sales got ahold of the terminology a while ago. That's why. Originally people who used computers could do math and knew what 2^10 was and 2^20 etc. Insert dipshit sales person who sees 500 million bytes and calls it 500 MB and people point out that's wrong and why.
    Yep, exactly this. The MiB/GiB values are the correct ones and why they are used in networking contexts. The other ones you see are approximately correct enough for consumers who are not familiar with using 2 instead of 10 for their reference points.