Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Coming to SciFy: The Magicians

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Re: Coming to SciFy: The Magicians

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    Sweet next week is the musical episode
    Anyone want to take a stab at the song? If I had to take a wild guess, I'd pick either CSN's Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Phil Collins' Take Me Home or Floyd's Brain Damage or Comfortably Numb, or even Queensryche's Silent Lucidity. All are songs about mental instability or at least dreams, which would fit the notion of trying to free Eliot from his mental prison.
    Last edited by PPatty; March 21st, 2019 at 09:17 PM.

Mangina at large.

I'll go with "Where Is My Mind" by The Pixies. I can see that being done as a group or solo, so they could get a lot of mileage out of it. Things we know about the episode: everyone sings, even Dean Fogg. Margo's quest in the desert, and the lower vocal range she's been using for her character, are reflected in her song. And all ten regular cast members will be together for the first time in the show's history:

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Forgot that Fogg will also be singing. With that in mind, I wonder if they'll do Seasons of Love, from Rent. It's an ensemble piece, it's a Broadway classic (the showrunners and writing team are self-professed fans of musicals), it can fit virtually any situation involving themes of friendship and it happens to have a solo part that could fit Dean Fogg's likely vocal range -- see the 1:53 mark:

Mangina at large.

None of us guessed Whitesnake. Episode description: "Margo hits her step count."

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    None of us guessed Whitesnake. Episode description: "Margo hits her step count."
    The climactic song was Gnarls Barkley, though, which I'm gonna guess that few of us would have guessed because of generational differences -- most of us are Gen Xers, no? And Gnarls is a millennial thing, so "Storm Coming" makes a lot more sense to be in the twentysomething Margo's head at her moment of triumph. On the other hand, Whitesnake and especially the Pretenders are weird choices, though I guess the latter is explained away by the playlist Josh gave her on his iPod. But she supposedly heard "Here I Go Again" during a high-school hookup? What high schoolers in the late 2000s would have been listening to old-fart classic rock radio? You just have to go with it, I guess.

Not that I actually thought through any of that while watching last night. But although I enjoyed the plot and the character development for Margo, I found the musical moments dissatisfying -- breaking up "Here I Go Again" meant I could never settle in and just enjoy it, and again, I'm just not of the age to appreciate Gnarls Barkley, whose sequence also was too short to feel epic.

(Again -- misgivings about musical interludes aside, I enjoyed the episode overall)

Elder Arcanist

Hale did say in an AMA that he would do a very emotional musical number with Penny in the season finale. For the most part I liked the musical numbers, not as great as before but still plenty fun. Margo is my absolute favorite character now.

What a great night for TV, Magicans, Happy! premiere, and I really loved the What We do in the Shadows tv show. It hit the notes of the movie perfectly. I loved the energy vampire.

Chaotic Good

I'm one behind on Magicians but the second to newest was awesome. They really seem to have found their groove.
    The Shark Week line had me truly laugh out loud and rewind to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    .., Happy! premiere,
    Speaking of which, jeebus, they've done with Easter what they did with Christmas.
    That show is dark. Well written, cast, and shot but man that's dark.

Mangina at large.

Episode two of this season of Happy! was really dark, and they sort of over-compensated in episode three (like with the dance number). Hopefully they find a new happy (no pun intended) medium, as the first season wasn't quite as bad.

Elder Arcanist

Yeah the tone is all over the place now. The show is best when Sax and Happy are working together for a common goal and they just don't have that yet. Hopefully they tighten up the plot of the rest of the season.

The Magicians have been great this season. I have a feeling at least one of the main cast, maybe Q is going to be joining Penny 40.

Mangina at large.

That big thing from the finale is permanent (spoilers from last night, if you haven't watched yet):

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-magician...and-1834107404

Elder Arcanist

Spoiler for well fuck:
    Damn that was a kick in the balls. I was hoping we might get an underworld story arc with him next season, but it really was a perfect ending for him. Really well done - felt almost like a series finale.

On a brighter note, Happy! was on point last night. Nazi old folks home massacre. I almost thought we might get Sax becoming a messed up venom with that alien crap monster.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

That was a beautiful finale; the campfire, as far as I'm concerned, was the real musical moment of the season, which had me simultaneously tearing up with sadness and laughing (I mean, really, that song? And yet it worked).

The tone and resolution were such that I wonder if it were written that way just in case the series didn't get a fifth season. I'm glad it has been renewed, but I hope it doesn't turn out like the fifth seasons of Babylon 5 and La Femme Nikita, both of which felt tacked on, mainly because they were (they were supposed to be canceled after four, but fan backlash got them one more).
    Last edited by PPatty; April 18th, 2019 at 02:48 PM.

Chaotic Good

It didn't even occur to me it could be permanent. Oof.
    Even before that I was starting to get nervous about the main cast. The theme that Penny summed up well "There's always a catch", not sure if they could keep supporting building people up just to break them down every time. The support characters may have to step up to bigger roles in the world. As the premise is college, the seniors ought to have to move on and make space for the incoming class. Otherwise they're not really growing.

That song works for me on another level. There was a guy who did Everquest tribute parody songs for his guild. Looks like some of his stuff is still on the web at facebook.

That song, but to the lyrical story of someone soloing while doing the old "LFG, PST!". I can't find it on the web but I do have an mp3 of it at home, maybe I can attach it to the forum later. In context, LFG works bittersweet with that scene.

Chaotic Good

Quote Originally Posted by Mircadius View Post
    I can't find it on the web but I do have an mp3 of it at home, maybe I can attach it to the forum later. In context, LFG works bittersweet with that scene.
    https://ufile.io/dklucmzj (LFG.mp3)

EDIT: A Ha Take on Me has a special place in my heart, btw, cause it rocks.
    The first Literal Version video I ever saw was of it too
    Last edited by Mircadius; April 19th, 2019 at 03:41 PM.

Elder Arcanist

That was great. Deadpool 2 has a really good emotional acoustic version of it too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oCeCMwJSv8
    Last edited by Philo; April 19th, 2019 at 10:07 PM.