Thread: What do you do with old computer parts?

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

What do you do with old computer parts?

So my recent computer troubles had me pondering whether or not now was the time to upgrade. As it happens, I don't currently have the space for a new computer, because I have sort of kept my previous ones. At first they were backups, until it became clear they would never be used again and instead get relegated as small tables to put the router on.

It's not a problem, it's just a question I never thought to ask before, and I'm curious. I know some people subsidize new parts by selling old ones, but I assume only my most recent computer would be worth selling, and the ebay/craigslist thing seems like a pain in the ass to me.

So what do you do? Junk them, recycle them? Sell them as scrap?

Re: What do you do with old computer parts?

I donate them to a local college tech student organization that builds working Linux systems with the parts and sells them ($50) for fundraisers.
    CeeNedra

---------------
    Men.. it's not their fault. You can't give someone two heads and expect them to think straight!

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

My town offers free e-recycling on my regular recycling day as long as I call them ahead of time and schedule the pickup.

Otherwise, there's a county one every six months, I believe.

Buckeye Wizard

Geesh. Mine typically just begin forming small mountains around my house lol. Guess I need to look into recycling.
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

hella Star-Demon :3

Quote Originally Posted by Nerkahia View Post
    Geesh. Mine typically just begin forming small mountains around my house lol. Guess I need to look into recycling.
    Recycling is the best option generally. There was an excellent documentary on electronic waste that I will try to track down and it turns out to be hyper effecient despite seeming exploitative initially to me. The gist is that it is less pollution and less new materials needed to generate new gear. Whether that is good or bad depends on what you invest in and how much of a Dick-Cheney Seal you are.

I should look into E-Recycling for my area I am piling up stuff and much of it is now obsolete beyond recovery... Motherboards with AGP still are an example. non 64bit processors... I have a Pentium 4 with the Northwood Core still around here somewhere..
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Mr. Angsty Spice

I should look into E-Recycling
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/payment-...at204400050010

Best Buy.

Recycling
    We offer electronics recycling at all Best Buy stores nationwide. You can drop off most electronics at any of our 1,000 stores.

What we take:
    Three items per household per day.
    Nearly everything electronic, including tube TVs and monitors 32" and smaller, flat-panel TVs and monitors 60" and smaller, peripherals, DVD players, home and car audio, cell phones, MP3 players, and cables.
    Desktop or laptop computers.
    Small electrics, fans and vacuums.
    What we don't take:
    Console TVs, or TVs and monitors larger than 32". Use our haul-away or pickup programs for these items.
    Electronics containing refrigerants, such as mini refrigerators or air conditioners. Please contact your local waste disposal department.
    Appliances. Use our haul-away or pickup programs for refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, washers, dryers, ranges and microwaves.
    Disassembled TVs and monitors.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

hella Star-Demon :3

Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    Whenever I worked in metal recycling we would take metal appliances. They were bought at scrap metal prices and resold to a foundry. People were happy to have simply unloaded them though. Some manufacturers include a way to ship a used product back for recycling. This is useful in the context of toxic consumables.

Tasty Danish

Our local recycling station (5 mins away by car) has a dedicated area where we can hand in old computers. I go there whenever stuff piles up.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Forum Sorcerer

I don't really accumulate obsolete/useless electronics anymore. But when something needs to go, I toss it in the e-waste bin at work. Electronics stores will often recycle stuff for free as well.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. - Gildor Inglorion