Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Router

DIY Router

Going to say I honestly had no idea how easy this was. My Linksys kept locking up which is no surprise as I slotted it in to replace the ASUS one that for whatever reason went tits up, And the Linksys was an even older router that I kept for emergencies but it seems it would vaporlock when I ran things like the blizzard patcher... So I went to price out high quality consumer routers and well noticed most were up around $200...

So http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856107095 + Laptop RAM and an SSD I had available + pfSense and I was up and running in a short time. And I use the Linksys purely in AP mode for wireless clients.

odds are that will get replaced with a true AP at some point though. And said AP will get an ethernet run with POE to a more central mounting location.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Y39 + NinjaDuck = Doom!

Re: DIY Router

I HIGHLY recommend a commercial-level AP. It's a bit pricey, but hands-down the most reliable electronics purchase I've ever made. This thing is simple to set up (espec for someone who configured a router from a PC) and it just never fails.

Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
    -"To Serve and To Protect"

"I don't trust my government, I don't trust the people who work for my government, and I believe that the evidence suggests that it's irrational to offer such trust." - Ken White

"The first 90% of the project is done, now we're working on the remaining 90%." -SoylentNews

That is actually the brand of AP I will be looking at for phase 2.

I only hear good things about them and that they are one of the best values for what you get.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

hella Star-Demon :3

Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    I HIGHLY recommend a commercial-level AP. It's a bit pricey, but hands-down the most reliable electronics purchase I've ever made. This thing is simple to set up (espec for someone who configured a router from a PC) and it just never fails.

Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System
    What are the advantages here? I've always used a freebsd or openbsd router/network setup and a pc of some sorts.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Well, Ubiquiti is specifically about wireless functionality rather than router/gateway functionality (although its pretty good at router functions too). We've done pretty significant testing against other enterprise solutions that cost at least 5 times as much (Ruckus, Trapeze, Cisco, etc.) and in the worst case scenario it performs equally with them. Best case it's far better. The physical hardware is top notch, and installing third party software is incredibly simple if you want to be crazy. Their software is really good though.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    What are the advantages here? I've always used a freebsd or openbsd router/network setup and a pc of some sorts.
    the AP is an access point, that means its pretty much just an ethernet jack with the hardware on that needed to make it do wireless. In simple terms its just a wireless base station without all the router bits. That is why an AP is good when you have a router based on PC hardware.

And yea they do make routers too.

Another advantage to a PoE based Wireless AP is you can just run some ethernet cable to it and be done, But also means you can have more chances for optimal placement too. routers have the issue that they generally have to be near the cable modem and odds are that is not optimally placed usually being at what ever end of the house has the computer room.
    Last edited by FilanFyretracker; November 22nd, 2014 at 12:41 AM.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    Well, Ubiquiti is specifically about wireless functionality rather than router/gateway functionality (although its pretty good at router functions too). We've done pretty significant testing against other enterprise solutions that cost at least 5 times as much (Ruckus, Trapeze, Cisco, etc.) and in the worst case scenario it performs equally with them. Best case it's far better. The physical hardware is top notch, and installing third party software is incredibly simple if you want to be crazy. Their software is really good though.
    It looks like the network software I use also works for their products, will definitely keep them in mind as it is pretty high praise that both you and yttrium are enthusiastic about their products.

This may sound dumb but, How much of a Cisco solution cost is the BMW factor? That is they simply charge more because of the badge on the front.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Y39 + NinjaDuck = Doom!

It looks like the network software I use also works for their products, will definitely keep them in mind as it is pretty high praise that both you and yttrium are enthusiastic about their products.
    I've used their products in two areas - I have an AP in my house, and I wired up 3 fixed point-to-point antennas in a rural area to share satellite Internet access between three locations (~ half mile and ~mile, in wooded hills). I have had no issues with their hardware or software in any regard.

Background: I worked for 3 years doing WISP work in a metro area. Contrast this with Nadiar's expertise in a modern commercial environment.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

"I don't trust my government, I don't trust the people who work for my government, and I believe that the evidence suggests that it's irrational to offer such trust." - Ken White

"The first 90% of the project is done, now we're working on the remaining 90%." -SoylentNews

I've used their products in two areas - I have an AP in my house, and I wired up 3 fixed point-to-point antennas in a rural area to share satellite Internet access between three locations (~ half mile and ~mile, in wooded hills). I have had no issues with their hardware or software in any regard.

Background: I worked for 3 years doing WISP work in a metro area. Contrast this with Nadiar's expertise in a modern commercial environment.
    I roughly knew that and factored that in even though you both are wont to disagree with me on matters frequently, which I do not hold against either of you as disagreements wash over me like Odysseus lost at sea. I really wish I could think of some series of events to make someone feel comfortable with telling me to fuck off if they disagree strongly and enumerate coherently why they feel or know the process is wrong headed.

That is exactly the person I want to hire as every instance, regardless of context, leadership not listening to such people has been the entire reason why future failures and issues have emerged. Feel free to proclaim I am naive for that assertion, but I know from first hand experience and secondary experience that it is the absolute truth born out by actual data rather than regurgitated memes.

The people who are traditionally criticized for being insubordinate and simultaneously born out as correct or demonstrably correct at that point in time are exactly the people who are most valuable to all systems. Before knee jerkingly dismissing that, consider how frequently Cassandras are ignored and how in each instance had leadership taken heed agonizing hardships were avoidable for prima facie reasons.

Unanalyzed meme regurgitation, especially within the domain of one's proclaimed expertise, is one of the things I explicitly use for filtering out candidates. I greatly value instances and people who disagree with me, especially and foremost when expressing the disagreement in a logically valid manner, however, simultaneously professing a claim and telling an ignorance of the claim's truth, is axiomatically unforgivable; all cases of this are cancer and an intelligent host renounces such parasites to protect the host systems from failure.

Someone being able to claim so without telling otherwise may have value to an organization though, it is something I am undecided about with respect to it necessarily being harmful; specifically, while I can make cases where it is beneficial quite trivially, is it necessarily the case that such behavior is the best move for long term utility or is such behavior necessarily only protecting actors from converging on local maximas more temporally efficiently?

Both cases seem probable, yet how to test which is the case and at minimum determine the probability of either conclusion? Historically we can claim one way or the other with validity, but in social contexts there are such an enormous amount of variables in play and having complete knowledge of the systems, even through inference, may be impossible, even if we actually have external complete knowledge.

In the last case, it is true that only information made known is accessible, and that through even one lossy transformation knowing a global maximum or minimum has been arrived at is impossible to conclude. Therefore, if that is the case we can only make such conclusions by way of the law of large numbers or if we are able to actually observe complete information, further even if both cases hold and are satisfied, we are still at mercy of being cognizant of such knowledge and acting upon such knowledge, which as has been demonstrated is impossible to do outside of an expert system free of transient properties.

To wit, "insubordination" is among the most valuable good available; this is vacuously true in the context of emergent group think and inarguably the most valuable event in the context of asymmetric information, the latter of which is significantly the case, especially within zero sum systems with hostile agents influencing behaviors. If you can demonstrate otherwise, I urge you to submit a paper that at minimum validates that demonstration as it has bearing in every interaction.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; November 23rd, 2014 at 11:42 PM.

I roughly knew that and factored that in even though you both are wont to disagree with me on matters frequently, which I do not hold against either of you as disagreements wash over me like Odysseus lost at sea.
    And despite having the dubious honor of being the only other person who can get under my skin significantly (the other person who edges Quelian out is a deadbeat and a sociopath that I have yet to successfully excise from la familia-- cuál es todo--despite ongoing, multi-decade efforts to do so), fucking Quelian is an immensely useful contributor to my reflections as well, likely because we are similar to the extent that one of us is the antagonistic doppelganger of the opposite, forever expanding and retracting from the horizon and the coast; ships pass another in the night and forgotten seas swallow them all, fluid passing through permitting membranes, inescapably returning towards equilibrium or always maintaining equilibrium.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; November 23rd, 2014 at 11:49 PM.

Y39 + NinjaDuck = Doom!

Conflict in opinion, perspective, or method-to-solution is the hallmark of intellectual discussions.

Being able to listen, integrate, and evaluate ideas from others is the hallmark of intellect.

Everything else is just an argument.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Conflict in opinion, perspective, or method-to-solution is the hallmark of intellectual discussions.

Being able to listen, integrate, and evaluate ideas from others is the hallmark of intellect.

Everything else is just an argument.
    Well, I will not claim I am intelligent, it is my general self-evaluation that I am in fact retarded but listening comprehension and listening etiquette continually proves an exceedingly rare combination, especially the latter and I do not operate from the state of mind that I am actually correct continually; working from the opposite is why hostility during discourse is so prevalent I think; it is extremely rare that someone can have confidence that they are right straight away, the only context being in that of formal maths where it is actually possible to demonstrate correctness absolutely. Not being incredibly rude is nearly always free in human interactions yet still reasonable amounts of tactfulness and empathy is at a premium. I think genuinely reasonable levels of emotional intelligence is much, much, much more scarce for someone to possess than the ability to solve some class of problems; further, I find it increasingly difficult to conclude anything other than all social problems derive from a lack of emotional intelligence or ability to emulate such, especially between even a more trivial case of between two people. Interestingly to me, despite the trope of men and women experiencing poor communication, I find intrawomen communication much worse; at least between those with excellent technical skills which is not what I would have expected to conclude at all. Why though? I disagree with the premise that intelligence is a zero sum game within a person, that is having more skill in one area necessarily prevents less competency elsewhere, at least with distinctly different categories of intelligence in mind. Aside from knowledge which has synergy with other domains, it is reasonable to say that applying time to one area is at the cost of the other area. What is more rare than any of that though is the inability for people to discuss anything without taking offense during disagreement by which I am not referring to an ability to communicate without hostility but rather an ability to communicate without ipso facto not attempting to understand what another person is communicating and potentially modify the same person's own beliefs on a matter.

Every problem I have ever seen exist or arise between a work context derives from this state, which I would be surprised for someone to not have experienced first hand that has worked on any project; removing unnecessary hierarchy is worthwhile alone for this reason so that people can go against what a higher level person's wants is possible when the person is going to doom the project or future projects if the plan is followed. Relatedly, an ability to do so is the result of a huge swathe of resource inefficacy; in the context of the US worker productivity dropping sharply with increasing work hours and required overtime. It is apparent without further investigation necessary, and supported for decades now, that abusing workers in this manner directly goes against achieving goals as quickly as possibly; worse current practices encourage this as since workers are paid a salary rather than a constant payment for time agreement as is the case in consulting work generally, the reason being that a business derives greater output per dollar invested as they do not have to invest more payment after the base number of hours are provided by the worker, that is, the terms of the worker's contract are abused. There is a very narrow domain of work where this is not immensely disadvantageous over a long time interval; piecemeal work and manual labor where a business has no necessary payment for worker disability incurred at work and in the context of where a decrease in the competency of QA and QC does not have significant damage to the company, the most significant of these is in the context of SaaS due to failures not immediately resulting in abandonment of the service which is why I encourage the government to rain down overwhelming fines upon companies which experience such things as customer data being compromised possibly to the point that the company is bankrupted.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; November 28th, 2014 at 11:25 PM.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

I saw that this morning, I still have one of their APs on the to buy list.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

How does it stand up to Meraki?

A buddy of mine just got his Meraki certification and he SWEARS by the things now.
    You can, apparently, actually configure them while they're STILL IN SHIPMENT IN A UPS BOX, then when you pop them on, they phone home and pull config down.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

They are cloud managed which likely means they go down if the WAN link on your router goes down. Poking around the CISCO Meraki site I see buttons everywhere for "start trial" that tells me monthly fee, it being Cisco tells me high monthly fee.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Kinky Euro

Those unifi things look interesting.
    I'll have to try one out at work so I can see if the 200% price difference to a home use AP is worth it.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ronaan View Post
    Those unifi things look interesting.
    I'll have to try one out at work so I can see if the 200% price difference to a home use AP is worth it.
    The AC-Lite is $80 and the AC-Pro is $140... Which compared to $120 and $200 for decent consumer AC routers.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    They are cloud managed which likely means they go down if the WAN link on your router goes down. Poking around the CISCO Meraki site I see buttons everywhere for "start trial" that tells me monthly fee, it being Cisco tells me high monthly fee.
    Funny enough Cisco constantly says this isn't the case. But multiple tests show it is the case. If it can't check in soon enough it goes inoperable.