Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Ban For Jonas

Elder Arcanist

Re: Permanent Ban For Jonas

*tumbleweed*

The mods don't actually come to Graffe's anymore.

Elder Arcanist

Permanent Ban For Jonas

Possible for someone that can do something about it to address the suggestions/comments made here?
    Naean (Priest)
    Needs (Raptor's Sidekick)

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Naean View Post
    Possible for someone that can do something about it to address the suggestions/comments made here?
    Since Jonas won't make any reasonable argument asking for me to change my mind, everyone else's arguments are moot.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Oh I see. So yours is the mind that needs to be changed and the Mods are irrelevant? Just so we are clear.

Can we change the name to Nadiar's now officially?

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Nads is the guy who keeps the site from getting blowed up. This whole fiasco was based on an aborted DDOS attack. I assume he needs an "I promise I won't blow up your site" from Jonas and despite asking for it did not get that, but instead got the equivalent of "I could if I wanted to, you know." Which was how it pretty much went down in this thread:
    http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthr...=1#post1775304

Elder Arcanist

Getting around a ban by creating multiple false accounts has always resulted in a more severe penalty. Even you yourself acknowledged that Dmitry. It's a shame because it was a completely stupid thing to do and completely undermines those people who didn't think a ban appropriate (or a shorter ban more helpful).

Ad just stop with the 'mods don't come here' line, its demonstrably not true. I look at the board without fail at least once every day.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Maledict View Post
    Getting around a ban by creating multiple false accounts has always resulted in a more severe penalty. Even you yourself acknowledged that Dmitry. It's a shame because it was a completely stupid thing to do and completely undermines those people who didn't think a ban appropriate (or a shorter ban more helpful).
    This.

As much as I dislike Jonas I thought the penalty was too harsh for the crime. I lost any form of sympathy when he started his multiple identity dickery.

Quote Originally Posted by Maledict View Post

Ad just stop with the 'mods don't come here' line, its demonstrably not true. I look at the board without fail at least once every day.
    Pardon me for laughing as the only mod replies 12 hours later.

hella Star-Demon :3

Quote Originally Posted by Eremius View Post
    This.

As much as I dislike Jonas I thought the penalty was too harsh for the crime. I lost any form of sympathy when he started his multiple identity dickery.
    He harassed a member with a threat that is legitimately illegal in most of the world for multiple reasons. A severe response was warranted.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    He harassed a member with a threat that is legitimately illegal in most of the world for multiple reasons. A severe response was warranted.
    Yes, thank you for thinking I value your opinion.

Elder Arcanist

It's these kinds of distractions which destroy this already shrinking community.

I can't speak for everyone but my opinion was that a short suspension and removal as a moderator was warranted after the initial unpleasantness. I think a year was far too long (that's the same as a permanent ban as far as I'm concerned). However, after that ban was put in place, Jonas creating dummy accounts and the harassment that followed was, definitely, in the wrong. Who knows what his reaction would have been with a 2 week suspension and removal of moderator powers. I'm not sure he would have lashed out in the same way which would have led to everything ending in a much more amicable manner.

I do agree with Dmitry though, if we have moderators they should be active. I don't like the idea of having part timers making rules and regulations for those of us who frequent this board on a regular basis. I also don't think we really need strong moderation here, just enough to address things like the Jonas situation when it shows up. Most of us are adults and most know how to behave like adults. So when something goes really wrong, that's the only time moderators should really step in.
    There are other worlds than these.

Mangina at large.

In the last mod elections, six mods were voted in: Maledict, myself, Ninetoes, Mdar, Jonas, and Schezar.

Jonas is the person subject to mod action.
    Mdar is a very infrequent poster.
    Recent post history for Maledict: http://www.graffe.com/forums/search.php?searchid=43507 - 25 posts since March 17th.
    Recent post history for me: http://www.graffe.com/forums/search.php?searchid=43509 - 25 posts since March 20th.
    Recent post history for Ninetoes: http://www.graffe.com/forums/search.php?searchid=43510 - 25 posts since March 25th.
    Recent post history for Schezar: http://www.graffe.com/forums/search.php?searchid=43506 - 25 posts since March 19th.

4/5 mods are over a post per day posters. Is this the definition of a "part timer" now? You need to consider who is calling people "part timers", and what motivations that person may have.

Quote Originally Posted by Silke
    Most of us are adults and most know how to behave like adults.
    I wish. Even with the relatively low level of activity on the board, there's been two reports for decidedly non-adult behaviour in the past month, twelve in the last year.

Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

I'm here every day. Even laying in a hospital bed I read threads. Even when I'm burying family I'm checking in as I can. I post when I feel like it or when I have something to contribute. Add into that I've been hospitalized and buried my mother in law and you can take your part timer nonsense and go pound sand.

Sent from beyond time and space - because that's how I roll.

"With your shield, or on it"

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silke View Post
    It's these kinds of distractions which destroy this already shrinking community.

I can't speak for everyone but my opinion was that a short suspension and removal as a moderator was warranted after the initial unpleasantness. I think a year was far too long (that's the same as a permanent ban as far as I'm concerned). However, after that ban was put in place, Jonas creating dummy accounts and the harassment that followed was, definitely, in the wrong. Who knows what his reaction would have been with a 2 week suspension and removal of moderator powers. I'm not sure he would have lashed out in the same way which would have led to everything ending in a much more amicable manner.

I do agree with Dmitry though, if we have moderators they should be active. I don't like the idea of having part timers making rules and regulations for those of us who frequent this board on a regular basis. I also don't think we really need strong moderation here, just enough to address things like the Jonas situation when it shows up. Most of us are adults and most know how to behave like adults. So when something goes really wrong, that's the only time moderators should really step in.
    Delores came up with some stats, but please realize that Dmitry is using an ad hominem attack (Poisoning the Well) in conjunction with a Relativist Fallacy. He set the "active poster" bar to "posts as often as Dmitry" so Graffes has only 1 active member. The Moderators have maintained their current post level since before they were elected, so presumably the community is fine with their level of participation. Of course, if you presume that people have to have to have 3 posts per day every day to be considered an active member, I suppose you would feel that people who post less than that shouldn't have the right to vote anyway.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

No prison can hold me!

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Pardon me for laughing as the only mod replies 12 hours later.
    Replying to your nonsense is not very high on anyone's to do list I would imagine.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Schezar View Post
    Replying to your nonsense is not very high on anyone's to do list I would imagine.
    Bazinga!

Elder Arcanist

Just to confirm Aaron Swartz isn't Jonas's real name and the top banner isn't from him?

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Backster View Post
    Just to confirm Aaron Swartz isn't Jonas's real name and the top banner isn't from him?
    :thumbup:

Oni
    Blog Entries

Can someone explain to me *why* Jonas is acting up?
    "Don't yell at S-D for using words you're not completely sure of, it embarrasses you. He's right anyway." - Alikat