Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

Elder Arcanist

Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

I'm perplexed by why you think I don't participate here. I was not around much in February due to some family issues that I won't go into, but in terms of mods I think delores & myself are the two most active mod posters? By your definition I don't anyone bar you and Silverblade could be a mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Maledict View Post
    I'm perplexed by why you think I don't participate here. I was not around much in February due to some family issues that I won't go into, but in terms of mods I think delores & myself are the two most active mod posters? By your definition I don't anyone bar you and Silverblade could be a mod?
    You haven't been around that much. Don't you be lying. If you are actually going to come back and participate, I welcome you.

Isn't Baelan also a mod still? How come no one asked him? How come no one asked Voca and Grindel since they were the last people to actually have the job.

Don't be a douche about this ban. Don't let yourself be all worked up by Nad. He is really an old woman in fat white man clothes. Remember how long Jonas has been here. Remember how much of a provocateur Ali is.

Also, I should be the only mod. Silverblade is nuts doncha know.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    1. I am the top all time contributor. Not one of. I am the top. And despite Ali's attempts to sneak up on me, it will never happen. I vow it. Also, I am due a shit ton more posts that were allowed to be deleted when that super sensitive gay airline stewardess left. I still want those numbers back.

2. The only ban I can think of that might have been longer was that guy that supposedly threatened his wife. Also a good guy sometimes but I think even i might have been in favor of a longer ban.

3. Active means participatory and posting at least once or twice a day on average.

4. Just be fair. Don't ban a guy that didn't do anything just because you don't like him. Hell, I gotta tell you he annoys the shit out of ME some times but so what? I would keep him here if for no other reason than my fond memories of the Boneass scandal which still makes me grin.

5. Here is a deal, if the people banning someone don't make up for the loss of activity for the person they ban, then they cannot ban him. Since we know that is never going to happen with Mfarawy and Maledick... lets let the whole thing drop.

6. Do any of you really think Ali tried to put anyone on ignore for real? LOL hahaha
    I added Top Posters to the thread list. We've had plenty of extra CPU power to deal with, so I enabled it. I also made it start counting posts done in the moderator forums, but it may take 5 minutes after this post to show up.

http://www.graffe.com/forums/misc.php?do=vsastats

1) I was going with more recent than "since 2003"

2) Yeah, Vash not only threatened his wife, but also another posters children. When he got to the point where he was fucking with kids, I wished there was something I could do beyond banning him for eternity. The other one was Rufus. I was thinking about Rufus when I made the comment.

3) Once or twice a day on average is very high, and I don't think even back in 2003-2004 we had more than 20 people posting that often.

6) I know for a fact she has at least one of the top posters on ignore, and I think Jonas would meet the same criteria as that guy.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

You haven't been around that much. Don't you be lying. If you are actually going to come back and participate, I welcome you.

Isn't Baelan also a mod still? How come no one asked him? How come no one asked Voca and Grindel since they were the last people to actually have the job.

Don't be a douche about this ban. Don't let yourself be all worked up by Nad. He is really an old woman in fat white man clothes. Remember how long Jonas has been here. Remember how much of a provocateur Ali is.
    Baelan isn't the lead moderator. The lead moderators have been Mdar and Maledict. Technically right now the lead Moderator is just Mdar, so I really had no right to call in Maledict in the first place. I'll open discussion for the moderators to decide if they want someone else.

Grindel doesn't want the job anymore, and has stated such. Voca previously dropped the job, but will take the job back again if everyone accepts her rule change requests. I'm not sure how I worked anyone up, since I think a year is far too excessive.

edit: Also, it isn't fair to lay any blame for the ban on Maledicts shoulders. He was the only moderator that didn't think a ban was warranted.
    Last edited by Nadiar; March 18th, 2013 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    Baelan isn't the lead moderator. The lead moderators have been Mdar and Maledict. Technically right now the lead Moderator is just Mdar, so I really had no right to call in Maledict in the first place. I'll open discussion for the moderators to decide if they want someone else.

Grindel doesn't want the job anymore, and has stated such. Voca previously dropped the job, but will take the job back again if everyone accepts her rule change requests. I'm not sure how I worked anyone up, since I think a year is far too excessive.

edit: Also, it isn't fair to lay any blame for the ban on Maledicts shoulders. He was the only moderator that didn't think a ban was warranted.
    WTF is a lead moderator.

Also, how can our lead moderator be someone who never actually, you know, comes to Graffe's?

So wait a sec Two people made the decision to ban a person for a year and one of them didn't think any ban was warranted?

Seriously? WTF?

This is why there should be no secret mod board. It is apparently filled with idiocy.

I want to make sure i have this right.

Nadiar takes no action but to pass the buck to Maledick and Mfaraway.

Mfaraway never actually comes to Graffes but is somehow the chief Decider of Graffe's.

Maledick is the same as any other mod but gets chosen to make the decision because..... well really for no reason.

Mfaraway votes for a year.

Maledick votes for no suspension.

Jonas gets a year suspension.

Really? LOL hahahahahahaha god. It doesn't come close to standing up to even a cursory scrutiny. Hilarious.

Elder Arcanist

I didn't want to get into details of the discussion because there's a reason that forum is private and I don't think it fair on the mods as they work under a guarantee of privacy (as you know)

There were 5 mods involved in the discussion, not two. 4 voted for a ban of length varying from 3 months to permanent. 1 voted not for a ban. I'm not going to get involved as to why as its not my place outside of my own position and I do not want to undermine the mod team by nailing myself to a cross and proclaiming only my opinion to be the right one. Needless to say I think that when 4 vote one way and the other votes the other then that's the reason we have a team and not a single person making the decisions, regardless of whether its me being outvoted. Given the circumstances I was not going to the wall on this one I'm afraid.

With regards to the lead mod, there should be something here outlining it but basically the lead mod position is appointed by the admin as the person with final say over the mod team should it be necessary, especially when there are issues around the mod team itself. Previously I was the lead mod but after I took a break Mdar was asked to take on the role. There has been some confusion though over the role as Grindle never appointed a lead mod after the last elections (as he vanished almost immediately afterwards) so both myself and Mdar have take the lead on certain issues. It's something that should probably be resolved but hasn't been necessary.
    Last edited by Maledict; March 18th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Sooo really no rules? Some new position that got created by... Nad? Seriously?

Just makin it up as you go along and the result is a ban of one of the last active posters over a stupid threat that never happened. Yeah excellent. Good stuff.

Seriously. Secret boards that can't stand the light of day. Just supa!

Elder Arcanist

Um, there's been a lead mod for at least 5 years...

Oh who actually voted?

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Sooo really no rules? Some new position that got created by... Nad? Seriously?

Just makin it up as you go along and the result is a ban of one of the last active posters over a stupid threat that never happened. Yeah excellent. Good stuff.

Seriously. Secret boards that can't stand the light of day. Just supa!
    The Lead Moderator position was created by Voca I think. The Lead moderator is there to be the arbiter on moderator discussions/decisions, and handle tie breakers. They also usually get chosen by the other moderators when someone has to be the "Face" for a decision they expect will be taken poorly.

The problem is as Maledict said, Grindel didn't appoint someone last time.

My feeling is that the lead moderator shouldn't be appointed, it should just be someone who has previous moderator experience and gets voted on by the other moderators. It's the only way any moderator can respect the lead moderators position.

Elder Arcanist

It seems like our annual "moderation debate" is a bit early this year and, as always, I'm baffled by it. This community is so small by this point that you would think it wouldn't be an issue. When was the last time we gained an actual, honest to God, new use who stuck around and contributed? By this point you would think that a token moderator presence to address the most egregious violations should be enough. Coming up with broad, sweeping, changes and new rules, at this point, just seems silly and you'd think that most of the regulars should know what is and is not appropriate. But I guess despite all that, this is still the internet after all... Yeah I know not all of this was brought up here but I got on a roll and decided to keep going.

Looking at that script that Nadiar posted, we have 132 active posters being defined as someone who has posted at least once in the past 90 days. That includes people like Milaru who posted a single time and really can't be considered active. Our community is tiny and as I said the last time this whole forum rules / donation thing came up, our community isn't likely to ever grow again and will only continue to shrink as time goes by.

As for Jonas. Should he have been punished and banned? Probably? Was a year long ban excessive? Absolutely. I still maintain that he needs help in real life but that's up to him.
    There are other worlds than these.

We don't have rules. We don't have mods. We are just making shit up as we go along at this point but can we at least get rid of the triple secret nerd board and try and be a bit more equitable.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

The moderator forums are secret to protect the members who may want to report someone for going over the line, and provide moderators a method to discuss and play devils advocate, not to protect the moderators from lashback. I would have no problem having regular audits from different members, but doing so seems like a lot of work for no real benefit. As long as you trust at least a single moderator to report any shady shit going on, you should be fine. Of course, if you would never trust a moderator other than yourself, you're shit out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    The moderator forums are secret to protect the members who may want to report someone for going over the line, and provide moderators a method to discuss and play devils advocate, not to protect the moderators from lashback. I would have no problem having regular audits from different members, but doing so seems like a lot of work for no real benefit. As long as you trust at least a single moderator to report any shady shit going on, you should be fine. Of course, if you would never trust a moderator other than yourself, you're shit out of luck.
    You forget I have seen those forums. They are a gossipy bullshit holier than thou cesspit.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

You forget I have seen those forums. They are a gossipy bullshit holier than thou cesspit.
    I didn't forget, and the forums that you looked at had differing sets of rules than the ones now.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

I'm nuts, but I *KNOW* I'm nuts

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

DMITRYYYYY!!!!! I will outpost you, old man! You, and one day, your heirs!!!

Ancient Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Hell, I didn't just plan it, I actually recorded the script, have the project and controllers available and can use it at any time! In case there's any question, my two minutes of recording a web load test script in VS2012 could potentially take this entire site down because I can spin up thousands of test agents on Azure at any time to DDOS the fuck out of anything that I want.

But, cooler heads prevailed (mine) and after I had finished recording the script, I realized it was childish and decided not to do it. Alikat's vendetta wouldn't let her do the same, though, so go tattle like a fucking four year old about some bullshit that really doesn't matter, and generally fuck you. I tried to quit being a moderator two years ago, wish I'd known it was as easy as just telling someone you were going to do something bad and then not doing it!
    Read this you idiots. "Cooler heads prevailded". So you dumbasses ban him for a year because of a thought crime? You guys bitch about a kid getting suspended from school for bringing in a toy gun, or drawing a picture of a gun, yet you turn around and do the same fucking thing.

A fucking thought crime? Seriously?

Mangina at large.

You guys missed some folks in the "banned for life" list, aside from spammers. Banned for life: Vashanti, hahleelooya, Rufus, and Tomb. How could anyone forget Tomb - he had a Graffie! There's also been at least one "one year" ban handed out, to Ialnyien. As for new posters, looking at the list for people who are still posting I see Cee (joined Aug 2012), ChildofGhad (joined Nov 2009), and DietCanada (June 2007). I think all the other semi-regular posters are 2006 and earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Destructis
    You guys bitch about a kid getting suspended from school for bringing in a toy gun, or drawing a picture of a gun, yet you turn around and do the same fucking thing.
    The analogy would be more apt if you had the kid bring a real gun to school, intending to blow away another student, but then deciding at the last moment, "Oh, I won't do that." And the analogy would be even closer to what happened here if, instead of it being a kid with the gun, it was a teacher who brought the gun to blow away a kid. Oh, and the teacher uses "I'm off my meds" as an excuse for why they even contemplated bringing the gun, let alone actually bringing it to school.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry
    I've read the forum from prior to the rule changes (one of the best perks of being a mod, btw), and now. It's not what you remember it being, if only because people don't "shoot the shit" in any of the threads. It's about solving problems. I blame all the humourless mods from the Commonwealth.