Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 138

Thread: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

  1. #41
    Mangina at large.
    Delores Mulva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    15,977

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Drama has summoned Milaru from the void!

  2. #42
    Systems Administrator
    Nadiar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,177
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Naean View Post
    To me the worst of it was that beyond the abuse of power he insisted that he did nothing wrong.
    It was even worse in the moderator thread, but you can't possibly have expected him to believe he did nothing wrong. If Jonas was an alcoholic, he would get trashed, wreck all of your shit, and then go "It's not my fault! I'm an alcoholic!"

    Reference the post from many years ago where he discovered MBTI and decided that being categorized as an INTP meant he could behave like a complete asshole, and that his (ex)wife was just too much of a bitch to understand. Or the one where he decided he had Aspergers. While it's probably true that he has Aspergers and is an INTP, and probably has some depression issues as well, none of that excuses the behavior.

    "I haven't been taking my meds for 2 weeks" would have been an okay excuse if he apologized, and mentioned it. Using "I'm off my meds" as your entire apology isn't an apology.

    "Hey, I'm really sorry, I totally fucked up <blah blah blah>. I've been going through a lot of shit recently, and apparently my ability to deal with it isn't as good as it needs to be. Here is my apology to Alikat, and here is my apology to everyone else. In the future, I'm going to do <blah> and hope you're able to forgive me actions."

  3. #43

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Maledict View Post
    After discussion in the mod forums the mod team has decided to suspend Jonas's account for 1 year based on past precedent. We want to be clear that threatening to set up denial of service attacks against other posters is not acceptable from any poster, and the implicit threat that carries is totally and completely out of order.
    That is so ridiculous. What exactly did he do? He did not threaten anyone with harm or even the site really. There is no such thing as an implicit threat. What you mean is "we felt threatened" that is not the same as he intended a threat or even a reasonable person would have felt threatened.

    We have so few posters here now and anyone that gets mad at Ali has a built in excuse, she asks for it. It's as if I was the basis of someone's suspension. Jesus.

  4. #44

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    Jonas' about-face is the most retarded shit I've seen on the net in a long time; he actually managed to trump Dmitry's periodic inanity, which is not easy to do. Definitely an unexpected change in attitude. Who the fuck spams people as a response to someone getting on your nerves anyways? That's idiotic. It's not like he can't just put an individual on ignore either.
    I haven't given a shit enough to stir the pot in a long time.

  5. #45
    Chair warmer, Sector 7G
    Alikat Astrae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    We have so few posters here now and anyone that gets mad at Ali has a built in excuse, she asks for it. It's as if I was the basis of someone's suspension. Jesus.
    Dude, I can take care of myself in a forum, but he told me he'd sent two PM's in the actual process of creating a DDOS script. I'd have been remiss if I hadn't told the sysadmin about it.

  6. #46

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    People say shit all the time. It's Jonas. He is always like this.

    edit: I don't blame you for letting Nad know. He might have had to intervene with the provider. It's the banning that is stupid. Nothing was actually done. There was no actual harm and Jonas thought better of doing anything (a good decision given how easy it would be to trace it back to him and how seriously FBI people take DDOS attacks these days).

    I just have no idea how the mods, without any chief admin and without community input decide to ban one of the oldest and most active posters for something he didn't actually do. WTF they are just making shit up as they go.

    Now, to be fair, I don't give anyway near as much of a shit about it as I used to. The days of Graffe's actually housing intelligent discussions is long over with and the Gaynimind has taking over. I certainly attribute Jonas' banning to the fact that he is often on the opposite side of arguments from the Gaynimind.
    Last edited by DmitrytheWizzy; March 18th, 2013 at 10:38 AM.

  7. #47
    Elder Arcanist
    Silke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    People say shit all the time. It's Jonas. He is always like this.
    Not really. His personality since coming off the meds is totally different than before and it's sad to see him self-destruct like this. He seemed like a decent guy before. Now he's bat-shit crazy.

    He really needs to get back on his meds and seek therapy (and I say that with complete sincerity and am not trying to come off as a smart-ass).
    There are other worlds than these.

  8. #48
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,152

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    I'd prefer to have "bat-shit crazy" Jonas than no Jonas. Hopefully he returns... though I know I wouldn't after a year.

  9. #49

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Silke View Post
    Not really. His personality since coming off the meds is totally different than before and it's sad to see him self-destruct like this. He seemed like a decent guy before. Now he's bat-shit crazy.

    He really needs to get back on his meds and seek therapy (and I say that with complete sincerity and am not trying to come off as a smart-ass).
    He is fine. Jesus. You people project drama on anything.

  10. #50
    Systems Administrator
    Nadiar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,177
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    People say shit all the time. It's Jonas. He is always like this.

    edit: I don't blame you for letting Nad know. He might have had to intervene with the provider. It's the banning that is stupid. Nothing was actually done. There was no actual harm and Jonas thought better of doing anything (a good decision given how easy it would be to trace it back to him and how seriously FBI people take DDOS attacks these days).

    I just have no idea how the mods, without any chief admin and without community input decide to ban one of the oldest and most active posters for something he didn't actually do. WTF they are just making shit up as they go.

    Now, to be fair, I don't give anyway near as much of a shit about it as I used to. The days of Graffe's actually housing intelligent discussions is long over with and the Gaynimind has taking over. I certainly attribute Jonas' banning to the fact that he is often on the opposite side of arguments from the Gaynimind.
    I really consider in the absence of any admins, that the decision was mine (because he was a moderator). I chose to remove myself from the decision, because I don't like Jonas, and I thought it was a mistake to make him a moderator in the first place.

    My judgement would have been removing him from being a mod, and a 1 month ban so he could get his shit together. I believe that between me handing it over to Maledict and Mdar, and his 1 year sentence, the problem was that Jonas dug his own grave, screaming at everyone who might have been inclined to ask for a shorter ban duration.

  11. #51

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    I really consider in the absence of any admins, that the decision was mine (because he was a moderator). I chose to remove myself from the decision, because I don't like Jonas, and I thought it was a mistake to make him a moderator in the first place.

    My judgement would have been removing him from being a mod, and a 1 month ban so he could get his shit together. I believe that between me handing it over to Maledict and Mdar, and his 1 year sentence, the problem was that Jonas dug his own grave, screaming at everyone who might have been inclined to ask for a shorter ban duration.
    LOL you handed the decision to two guys that don't even really post here any more. LOL hahahaha that is fucking excellent. That is perfect. God that made me laugh. Thanks for that. HAHAHAHA.

    Oh shit seriously that is funny.

    edit: LOL hahahaha I just laughed again. Hahah you guys are the best.

    How are Male and Mdar anything here again? ahahaha fantastic. Just amazing. A fitting end to Graffe's
    Last edited by DmitrytheWizzy; March 18th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.

  12. #52
    Systems Administrator
    Nadiar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,177
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    LOL you handed the decision to two guys that don't even really post here any more. LOL hahahaha that is fucking excellent. That is perfect. God that made me laugh. Thanks for that. HAHAHAHA.

    Oh shit seriously that is funny.
    I keep up with activity times of moderators, and even if they're not posting, they're still around reading.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

  13. #53

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    I keep up with activity times of moderators, and even if they're not posting, they're still around reading.
    LOL seriously? That is the best defense you have? They stop by?

  14. #54
    Systems Administrator
    Nadiar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,177
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    To have a defense, you'd actually have to accuse someone of something. Maledict posts an average of around once per day, except for February, where I'm guessing he was busy. Mdar has never been much of a poster, but he's always around. He's not as visible as some other users because he keeps his invisibility flag turned on, just like you do.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

  15. #55

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    To have a defense, you'd actually have to accuse someone of something. Maledict posts an average of around once per day, except for February, where I'm guessing he was busy. Mdar has never been much of a poster, but he's always around. He's not as visible as some other users because he keeps his invisibility flag turned on, just like you do.
    Here let me accuse you:

    1. It's not fair that it was your decision.

    2. It's not fair that you passed the decision to others.

    3. It's not fair that people who are not really participatory have anything to do with modding.

    4. It's not fair that you all made up some bizarre banned for a year rule out of your collective asses.

    Good enough?

    I realize that in the absence of any real mods, any real elections or any real effort to move things forward then sometimes decisions have to be made by whoever is holding the hammer when it's time to hit the nail. But really? Did anything actually happen here that deserves the largest ban in the history of Graffes. A ban of one of the ten remaining posters?

    Best of all, you do realize that this is just Ali being smarter than all of you. This is her "snicker behind the hand" way of manipulating you into spanking Jonas. For which I give her full marks.
    Last edited by DmitrytheWizzy; March 18th, 2013 at 01:17 PM.

  16. #56
    Y39 + NinjaDuck = Doom!
    Yttrium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    1. It's not fair that it was your decision.
    2. It's not fair that you passed the decision to others.
    3. It's not fair that people who are not really participatory have anything to do with modding.
    4. It's not fair that you all made up some bizarre banned for a year rule out of your collective asses.
    Good enough?
    1. Doesn't matter.
    2. Doesn't matter.
    3. Doesn't matter.
    4. Doesn't matter.

    Seriously? Aren't you a lawyer? When does crying about fairness ever matter? It's irrelephant. Do you want to continue this bizarre line of thinking in an effort to further reduce the community? I don't understand.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
    -"To Serve and To Protect"

    "I don't trust my government, I don't trust the people who work for my government, and I believe that the evidence suggests that it's irrational to offer such trust." - Ken White

    "The first 90% of the project is done, now we're working on the remaining 90%." -SoylentNews

  17. #57

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    1. Doesn't matter.
    2. Doesn't matter.
    3. Doesn't matter.
    4. Doesn't matter.

    Seriously? Aren't you a lawyer? When does crying about fairness ever matter? It's irrelephant. Do you want to continue this bizarre line of thinking in an effort to further reduce the community? I don't understand.
    Raising fairness always matters when you are right. The only person who reduced the community is the person who banned one of the remaining members.

    Oh and aren't you a .. a ... oh wait you aren't anything.

  18. #58
    Systems Administrator
    Nadiar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,177
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    1-4: Probably, but who said life was fair?

    1: Addressing moderator issues should be the role of the Admin. As I see it, my power as admin over a moderator is to remove them from being a moderator, and possibly a temporary ban while the remaining moderators determine the length. Once the person isn't a moderator anymore and is a user it's entirely up to the moderators to determine the appropriate ban. I recused myself because I didn't feel I would be impartial. It was me because none of the real admins are around anymore.

    Technically this is the second harshest ban we have available, but the list of real members who have been hit with a perma ban is pretty small. I reopened the time discussion in the moderator forum this morning, trying to address the points they were using to assess the length of time Jonas should be banned.


    We have way more than 10 active posters. Your definition of "active" may be skewed because you're one of the top all-time posters. I would consider anyone posting at least once per week over a few months to be an active poster.

  19. #59

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    1-4: Probably, but who said life was fair?

    1: Addressing moderator issues should be the role of the Admin. As I see it, my power as admin over a moderator is to remove them from being a moderator, and possibly a temporary ban while the remaining moderators determine the length. Once the person isn't a moderator anymore and is a user it's entirely up to the moderators to determine the appropriate ban. I recused myself because I didn't feel I would be impartial. It was me because none of the real admins are around anymore.

    Technically this is the second harshest ban we have available, but the list of real members who have been hit with a perma ban is pretty small. I reopened the time discussion in the moderator forum this morning, trying to address the points they were using to assess the length of time Jonas should be banned.


    We have way more than 10 active posters. Your definition of "active" may be skewed because you're one of the top all-time posters. I would consider anyone posting at least once per week over a few months to be an active poster.
    1. I am the top all time contributor. Not one of. I am the top. And despite Ali's attempts to sneak up on me, it will never happen. I vow it. Also, I am due a shit ton more posts that were allowed to be deleted when that super sensitive gay airline stewardess left. I still want those numbers back.

    2. The only ban I can think of that might have been longer was that guy that supposedly threatened his wife. Also a good guy sometimes but I think even i might have been in favor of a longer ban.

    3. Active means participatory and posting at least once or twice a day on average.

    4. Just be fair. Don't ban a guy that didn't do anything just because you don't like him. Hell, I gotta tell you he annoys the shit out of ME some times but so what? I would keep him here if for no other reason than my fond memories of the Boneass scandal which still makes me grin.

    5. Here is a deal, if the people banning someone don't make up for the loss of activity for the person they ban, then they cannot ban him. Since we know that is never going to happen with Mfarawy and Maledick... lets let the whole thing drop.

    6. Do any of you really think Ali tried to put anyone on ignore for real? LOL hahaha

  20. #60
    #YesAllCats
    Goladus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    25,083
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: I Have an Issue with a Moderator That I Believe Requires Discussion

    Disagree with the ban but don't have the energy to argue.

    I will say though that the sysadmin's opinion should be considered with regards to the potential for a DOS attack since he'll be the one expected to take care of the mess. But it's not the only one that matters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •