Thread: Savory Sausage and Sauerkraut (Crock Pot)

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Savory Sausage and Sauerkraut (Crock Pot)

We had a freezer full of sausage that I needed to use, so for Fathers' Day I cobbled this together with what I had. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly how much of each sausage I had, so this is estimated. It did, however, fill the crock pot to the inner brim.

Prep time ~half hour
    Cook time 3-6 hours

7-quart crock pot

1-3 pounds of Kielbasa (1 and a half loops, cut into palm width pieces)
    1-3 pounds of Original/unflavored Bratwursts (5-6 pieces)
    1-3 pounds of Sweet Italian Sausage (pork preferred) (10-12 pieces)
    *No more than 4-6 pounds total*
    2x 2 lb bags Sauerkraut (I used Kissling brand)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    3/4 to 1 full cup of beer (I used Guinness Extra Stout, amount approximate)
    6-10 cloves of garlic, gently smashed
    1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    White pepper
    Coarse ground Black pepper
    Awesome rolls

Into a pan, put one bag of sauerkraut (as will fit), and heat til bubbling. Add brown sugar and half of the beer, and mix thoroughly while heating another 2-3 minutes.
    Place in crock pot on low. The intention is to have a small layer of sauerkraut. Sprinkle a little bit of white pepper on top of the layer.

Brown all of the sausage on as many sides as possible.
    Place in a single-piece layer on top of sauerkraut in crock pot. Set aside remainder. Add some smashed garlic in the holes between pieces.

Heat remaining sauerkraut with remaining beer, adding Worcestershire sauce after heated. Mix and continue to heat another 2-3 minutes.

Layer on top of sausage in crock pot, alternating with remaining sausage and garlic, and if possible have sauerkraut be the top layer.
    Grind a generous amount of black pepper on top.

Heat in the crock pot on high 3-3.5 hours, or on low 5-6 hours. Serve on awesome rolls.

Spoiler for HowIScrewedUp:

I imagine one could heat all of the ingredients together in the crock pot, after the sausage is browned, but I think the separate heating of sauerkraut with brown sugar/etc gave it a wonderful extra kick.
    I also probably could have done it all in a big pot, but I was going for expediency.

I screwed up by heating on high for 3.5 hours at home, driving to Mom's, then heating another hour on low. Unfortunately, this made the kielbasa disintegrate, leaving little bits of it all throughout the dish. While it made for a tasty surprise, I really wanted a piece of kielbasa

This could probably be baked for an hour, hour and a half at 400, covered in the oven, if you don't want to use the crock pot.

You Be Hungry after you be Clicking Here

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Re: Savory Sausage and Sauerkraut (Crock Pot)

Awesome.

I've had something similar to this in german restaurants before.
    VERY tasty.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Elder Arcanist

Sounds and looks really tasty. Going to have to try my hand at this one day.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Elder Arcanist

Sounds like Bigos which is quite delicious.
    Virtually all U.S. senators, and most of the representatives in the House, are members of the top 1 percent when they arrive, are kept in office by money from the top 1 percent, and know that if they serve the top 1 percent well they will be rewarded by the top 1 percent when they leave office

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Test revision done last weekend:

3 lbs Pork Sweet Sausage
    3-4 lbs Pork Ribs (rack including knuckle, cut only to fit crock pot, skin and fat on)

Browned the sausage as usual
    Seared the ribs with a basic rub of paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper (approximately equal amounts, I let it sit at room temp for about a half hour while prepping the sausage and kraut)
    Pre-heated the kraut (all 4 lbs/2 bags) in a much larger pot and added 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Thin layer of kraut then part of the ribs and sausage, repeat

30 minutes before serving I cut some small potatoes in half lengthwise and just lay them on top of the kraut. Came out fantastic.

Ribs were super-tender (bones practically fell out) but still had pork texture and taste, and the cinnamon gave the kraut a nice zing.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Most recent revision:

I finally got a decent sized soup pot, so ended up rinsing all of the kraut thoroughly before mixing all of the kraut + non-sausage ingredients together then heating to combine before putting in the slow cooker.

Saved myself about 20-30 minutes (minimum) compared to the original recipe. Also made it easier in general.

The basic recipe is still the same and we continue to tweak it here and there or try "something extra" for a change of pace.

One iteration had a large onion, sliced into quarter rings, dropped in.
    Another had apple slices. This one wasn't as popular; while the apple did lessen the bite of the kraut, it all but disintegrated and left little strings of apple skin.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    Another had apple slices. This one wasn't as popular; while the apple did lessen the bite of the kraut, it all but disintegrated and left little strings of apple skin.
    I wonder how peeled apples and/or apple juice would work.

Elder Arcanist

The apple sauerkrauts I've had don't include the apple skins. Just small diced apple chunks.

I just checked YouTube and many sausage/kraut recipes use regular kraut and just add apple cider/applesauce to the kraut during the final cook.

Elder Arcanist

I know it isn't sauerkraut, but apples and red cabbage braised together in a pan is really good. I like it with Italian sausage in it.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Elder Arcanist

Ribs and Sauerkraut recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys