Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graffe's moving forward

Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

Re: Graffe's moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by Wandor View Post
    Why do we even need a front page?? Point the domain to the forum root and be done with it. I've been coming here since god knows when and the only time I've ever seen the front page is when I am on a new device that doesn't have the general discussion forum in its history.
    There hasn't been a front page for the last week FYI and no one seems to have noticed. In case that changes anyone's opinion on the whole idea.
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

I'm not sure if it'd be of any help but i do vary casual let's plays on youtube now as im mostly bored with mmos and trying somethign different. most the commentary suck as im still learning that but i wouldn't mind more views as my channel is super tinny atm lol.
    yeah i got a youtube channel! check it out. it's mostly lets plays and don't go in expecting it to be super professional. Enjoy! =p

My youtube!

Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

Blog Entries

I noticed the front page button was missing because I normally link into OT directly and then I'd click on the Forums button at the top to get to the root and go to the games sections. The Forums button moved, so I noticed the missing spacer that I otherwise ignored.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    There hasn't been a front page for the last week FYI and no one seems to have noticed. In case that changes anyone's opinion on the whole idea.
    I noticed several days ago, but only because I was curious if anyone had done anything with it yet given all the community decision and donation talk.

Elder Arcanist

Like Wandor, the only time that I really notice that a front page exists is when I'm on a new device and trying to navigate to the forums or I've done such a complete internet history wipe that it's as if I'm using a new device. And in those cases I find that the front page actually got in the way of what I was trying to do. I.E. Get to the forums.
    There are other worlds than these.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

The thing is, while we might be past the point of getting many genuine new permanent members, that doesn't mean the site won't ever come up in google searches or random users won't surf by and investigate. God knows how many random vbulletin forums I've wound up at while investigating other topics, many of them much less active than Graffe's. In those situations, I quickly find myself trying to answer the questions "what is this site?", "what else can it do for me?", "how do I find it?". A good front page helps with all that.

Regular forum members don't visit the front page, that's the main reason I'm hesitant to suggest trying to put much content there, especially transient article-style content-- which is precisely what the forums themselves are for. But that doesn't mean there aren't ways it could be made useful.

Would you F### me? I'd F### me.
    Team #graffe

Seriously, don't drag my name into this. I'm just the forum boogeyman.
    - lowkey

Formerly: Vdou Quel'Anon
    Release the Kiken!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    A site like that would probably be in a better status right now, because it would have been filled with the people that like crunching numbers, and while that would have had a pretty small membership, it would have been in a good position to keep growing after all games followed the WoW model and had their own forums for each class.

Vdou and I push Reddit because Reddit is primarily focused on sharing existing stories from somewhere else. Outside of Wools posts in the game forums, we have maybe a couple "new content" threads in a given month that people would be interested to read.
    Around WoW/EQ2 the marketing arms of the game companies realized how many eyeballs they were losing to community sites. They really sucked then. They've gotten a LOT better. Now every game has its own forums which are full of the kinds of people we used to have around here. Combine that with the main discussions centering around a dying game (all time most users on this site is STILL Ringo's WoW Beta post) and it devolves into people that used to play these games, maybe play some new ones, whom had common interests and less exciting things to do with their time.

Reddit is great for whatever happens to this site when it runs out of funding. Whether that time is now is not for us to really pontificate on, it'll be pretty obvious -- the lights will go out.

There has been more than one initiative in the past few years to *DO SOMETHING* with the front page/attract eyeballs. We had great plans! I spent a lot of time starting to work on building a site and it petered out (for a number of reasons).

I'm more than willing to take another shot at reinventing the site, however if we're going to pivot into something other than a discussion board; it's time to trim the fat and start fraiche. I think there is a significant amount of potential within the community to make that happen and do a good job.
    "If all wars were fought by octogenarians armed with nerf bats that would be much more civilized. And funny. Yes, I am a bad person." - Voca

XBOX Live: that tears it

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    Seriously, don't drag my name into this. I'm just the forum boogeyman.
    I thought you were the IRC boogeyman.

Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

If Lowkey ever boogied in #graffe he'd get kick/banned.
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    If Lowkey ever boogied in #graffe he'd get kick/banned.
    I didn't even know there was an IRC channel. =\

Forum Sorcerer

Why waste time on the front page at all? It's not what makes Graffe's what it is. It's the forums that keep us coming back. Ditch the front page, try to recruit some more active and creative posters and go from there. Instead of using those 4 people to post things on the front page, get them to check the news sites and other sources of interest and share interesting things that will get discussions going in the forums.

I don't know how to get more people to the forums but a few new faces wouldn't hurt us either.

actually you know what i see a lot of forums do now? Podcasts.

I could never do something like that because i cant get that deep in my thought process on junk like politics but you know many of the more vocal graffee members im sure would make some great debaters hehe.

it's not that hard to do either, just get some stream software, everyone connect and put their headsets on and bam ready to go live.
    yeah i got a youtube channel! check it out. it's mostly lets plays and don't go in expecting it to be super professional. Enjoy! =p

My youtube!

Elder Arcanist

I used to belong to a successful Quake 2 forum that went through something very similar when Quake 2 was on way out. From what I remember they decided to use the strength of the posters (in this case it became an open tech support forum) and turned out to be even more successful.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Well, we got guys like Merkus and Lysander and Silverblade and Star-Demon, who actually create things and then share them with us here. You could use part of the front page as a showcase for Silver's latest image or some screenshots of S-D's latest modeling project.