Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Finances and Administration

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Finances and Administration

Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    It seems that top priority should be reimbursing Voca. This is independent of any actions taken to sustain or close the site.

If the site has devolved to the point of being nothing more than sectioned forums, we can easily do that *for free* in any number of locations, many of which were mentioned in this thread - Google Groups, Reddit, or whatever. I do not partake of the blogs/photos/etc hosted here, so I would attempt to be a part of such a migration without any regret.

Ultimately, however, it seems like we're paying a lot to post on forums. This seems, to me, to be a bit out of step with other sites I've been a part of or helped administrate. If we do sustain the current model - rules discussion notwithstanding - there may be some options we could adjust to reduce the cost? $100/month is ... heavy.
    We could run it on a VPS for 1/3 the cost if we pruned off all of the old posts, but people have some desperate need to preserve every post from forever.

edit: So a lot of people might wonder why we don't use something like Dreamhost. Afterall, Dreamhost is 100/year! And Nadiar loves Dreamhost!

Dreamhost could handle ~15-20 simultaneous connections. That's actual users, people who got here on accident or to read a post but aren't members, and Bots like the Googlebot (indexes page for searching).

We're at 30 right now, and it isn't "primetime" yet.
    Last edited by Nadiar; May 18th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Cilumbik View Post
    I'll pay for all the costs to run the site. All I want in return is Robert De Niro's phone number, his mole is starting to worry me.
    Is it irregular around the margins? Li'l bit, li'l bit....

Very nice!
    I like bOObies

The problem is that the SQL DB is too big. We have nearly a decade of posts still available on these boards. That's friggin ridiculous. Cut off anything older than 2 years. We are all getting old and would probably forget about those posts anyhow. If we cut off the size of the DB, we don't need nearly as much horsepower to run this site and we can get the cost down considerably. If we get the DB size down we can get an account at the company I used for my business hosting and spend about $25/mo and we don't have to do any server admining at all.

In any case, how about we leave the rules alone and just run a fund raiser. We pay Voca back and put a little away to last until next April, then run another fund raiser next April. It's not rocket surgery.
    < Insert bananas here >

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Ok first, what's the main barrier to getting a simple fundraiser started? I don't mean T-shirts, premium subscriptions, mailbox sizes or or anything clever/goofy like that, just a widget or something that lets everyone know what the goal is and how much we've raised. (And preferably, how much they have contributed)

The Unseeing Eye
    Blog Entries

To appease pruners and archivists alike - what about exporting the posts older than 2 years to XML or the like, and then pruning them, while making them available as a file archive?

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

I'd rather see a breakdown the actual DB costs before we start talking about solutions.

High Councilor of Erudin
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eniarch View Post
    To appease pruners and archivists alike - what about exporting the posts older than 2 years to XML or the like, and then pruning them, while making them available as a file archive?
    I like this idea. Keeping the MySQL Database size under 1 GB (by doing an export to XML, or, simply making a read-only static .html version of the site as "Archives"), you could use GoDaddy's 4GH (Grid Hosting, or 4th Gen Hosting, depending upon which marketing gimmick you prefer), which runs around $8/mo. It has a mix of cloud and VPS instantiation, which allows for numerous concurrent connections above the typical 15-20 that shared hosting (i.e., Dreamhost) craps out on. Something to consider.

Elder Arcanist

I have a quick question. As I post this there are roughly 37 registered users online and nearly 80 "guests" Who makes up this guest category? This seems fairly typical that there are always a ton of guests online but our actual user base hasn't increased in years.
    There are other worlds than these.

Ancient Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Silke View Post
    I have a quick question. As I post this there are roughly 37 registered users online and nearly 80 "guests" Who makes up this guest category? This seems fairly typical that there are always a ton of guests online but our actual user base hasn't increased in years.
    Probably bots

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelon View Post
    I like this idea. Keeping the MySQL Database size under 1 GB (by doing an export to XML, or, simply making a read-only static .html version of the site as "Archives"), you could use GoDaddy's 4GH (Grid Hosting, or 4th Gen Hosting, depending upon which marketing gimmick you prefer), which runs around $8/mo. It has a mix of cloud and VPS instantiation, which allows for numerous concurrent connections above the typical 15-20 that shared hosting (i.e., Dreamhost) craps out on. Something to consider.
    The level of ignorance in everything you post makes me want to do violence.

High Councilor of Erudin
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    The level of ignorance in everything you post makes me want to do violence.
    That's not really fair of you to say. I use both RackspaceCloud Sites (for sites with over 300+ concurrent vBulletin connections), and GoDaddy 4GH (for smaller, personal projects, where I routinely have 40-50 concurrent users on my vBulletin installs), and GoDaddy's 4GH strikes me as perfectly suitable for Graffe's if you can reduce the size of your MySQL database (since their policy is to keep MySQL databases capped at 1Gb - the only real downer to the system).

If you're not looking for a solution but only want to insult me, that's fine -- but I'm really just trying to help. You can read more about what GoDaddy calls its 4GH here:

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=9009

They specifically position it as an economy/budget-style alternative to RackspaceCloud, and they claim that they feature a weird hybrid cloud farm to make it work, but there are strict limits for their shared accounts.

I'll kindly stop offering suggestions, though, since it seems to insult your intelligence to find a solution. This sort of unwarranted response kind of typifies why this site is on its deathbed, though.

Passes Turing Test

Quote Originally Posted by Goladus View Post
    Ok first, what's the main barrier to getting a simple fundraiser started? I don't mean T-shirts, premium subscriptions, mailbox sizes or or anything clever/goofy like that, just a widget or something that lets everyone know what the goal is and how much we've raised. (And preferably, how much they have contributed)
    Well, mainly that the person who has the responsibility/authority for doing that is awol. Me or Nadiar running a fundraiser is tantamount to taking over the role of the Lead Admin. Graffes folks have traditionally opposed Nadiar stepping beyond the Technical Admin role, and this thread is all about whether I should step back into the Lead Admin role.

Neither Nadiar nor Grindel ever stripped me of my Admin access, presumably out of respect for the fact that the finances were still running through me, but basically I am just a poster at large at the moment.

The Unseeing Eye
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    a poster at large at the moment.
    Oh. Well. Someone fetch me a glue pot and a brush. This won't do at all.

Elder Arcanist

$1700?

We are not going to get $1700. Let's just skip all this crap wallowing and go with Dmitry's offer.

Either that, or let's save Claud's shampoo thread, the stickied threads, dump everything else, and go to a more efficient forum.

Actually, why not just take a month where people can submit threads for "saving," do our best to save those threads, and then move to the cheaper forums.

If we do get the $1700 then great, but I am guessing that no matter the justification or righteousness involved people are not going to backpay, so getting $1200 for the coming year will be amazing.
    Last edited by Lithiun; May 22nd, 2012 at 06:44 PM.

The Unseeing Eye
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lithiun View Post
    If we do get the $1700 then great, but I am guessing that no matter the justification or righteousness involved people are not going to backpay, so getting $1200 for the coming year will be amazing.
    We should pay our debts before we consider whether to sign a new mortgage or which house to buy.

Forum Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Eniarch View Post
    We should pay our debts before we consider whether to sign a new mortgage or which house to buy.
    Why would we do that? I think we should apply for a bailout. Obama will save us.

Current obligations keep the site running. We need to cover those before you can pay off old obligations.

Passes Turing Test

I told Eniarch in a PM that I wouldn't be looking to recoup the money owed unless we had enough in the bank to cover a years hosting. Assuming no reduction in hosting costs that would repayment isn't even on the table unless we have $1200 squared away to cover June 1 2012 - May 31 2013. Honestly I am not terribly worried about that $500. It's just that if things went on it would have become an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Current obligations keep the site running. We need to cover those before you can pay off old obligations.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

What's the problem with making Nadiar lead admin again?

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

There were issues with people trusting him making nontechnical decisions (policies, elections, etc.). But personally I'd rather have Nadiar lead admin than no Graffe's, though I'd rather have Dmitry in either case.

I'd volunteer myself, but (IRL) I don't have the best history with nonprofit volunteering and I doubt people here trust me any more than they trust Nadiar.