Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Finances and Administration

Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

Re: Finances and Administration

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    I thought I banned him because he explicitly broke the rules? The way I remember it was you guys just all assumed it was because I didn't like him or something.
    IIRC Dmitry was posting some possible NDA stuff. You told him to stop it and he stopped posting NDA material and started posting links to other places that had NDA material and finally to screenshots or information that the company itself had released to other press outlets. At some point he called you boneass and that's when you banned him.

Granted, you were both being asshats at the time but it is also telling when that's the only time I can think of a mod going rogue. Well, maybe Destructis too, but that wasn't just one instance with him.
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

Blog Entries

Lunal, that's kind of the problem, we have some people here who think the rules should be explicit, and some who think they should be implicit and left to mod judgement. We've never come to a consensus on what should be done, but the majority has ruled in favor of explicit rules, and we've spent the last three years arguing about WHAT those rules are.

Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    IIRC Dmitry was posting some possible NDA stuff. You told him to stop it and he stopped posting NDA material and started posting links to other places that had NDA material and finally to screenshots or information that the company itself had released to other press outlets. At some point he called you boneass and that's when you banned him.

Granted, you were both being asshats at the time but it is also telling when that's the only time I can think of a mod going rogue. Well, maybe Destructis too, but that wasn't just one instance with him.
    Yeah, like I said, he broke the rules! I'm not saying the rules were right, but I still stand by my decision, I did what I was supposed to do, thus the argument about explicit vs implicit rules. If it were left up to mod judgement, I would have permanently banned Dmitry in 2010 when he stopped donating money and became some kind of retarded homosexual crusader.

Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

Yeah, like I said, he broke the rules! I'm not saying the rules were right, but I still stand by my decision, I did what I was supposed to do, thus the argument about explicit vs implicit rules. If it were left up to mod judgement, I would have permanently banned Dmitry in 2010 when he stopped donating money and became some kind of retarded homosexual crusader.
    Apparently you banned him because of stuff said in PMs back in 06 the content was WoW related and was when Rombus was still here!
    http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthread.php?42906-Jfc

After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE

Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

Blog Entries

Appearances can be deceiving

No prison can hold me!

I'm pretty sure his personality disorders were there as long as he's been posting here. He just had random shiny things to chase after for the first few years. The pointy hat schtick and EQ race wars were amusing for a while, but he's still posting the same type of things about RL issues and people and that hasn't gone over nearly as well.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

Blog Entries

Well, in spite of the derail and trip down memory lane, it appears we have at least another month or two to ignore the funding issue again. See you all when the other shoe drops.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

Lunal, that's kind of the problem, we have some people here who think the rules should be explicit, and some who think they should be implicit and left to mod judgement. We've never come to a consensus on what should be done, but the majority has ruled in favor of explicit rules, and we've spent the last three years arguing about WHAT those rules are.
    Yeah, because explicit rules is a really silly and unworkable stance. Just vague the rules out and leave it up to the mods.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

If it were left up to mod judgment the mods would have taken a vote as to what to do with Dmitry. Mod judgment doesn't mean individual mods do whatever they want.

Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

Appearances can be deceiving
    I can't find the actual thread where it happened, just the stuff that happened after bringing that up I really wanted to find the thread just to make sure I'm not in the wrong.

Well, in spite of the derail and trip down memory lane, it appears we have at least another month or two to ignore the funding issue again. See you all when the other shoe drops.
    I would rather we pay off our debt to Voca before we celebrate about not getting shut down. Voca tied the Rackspace account to her credit card with the understanding that she would be reimbursed each month and this hasn't happened for various reasons. Being in a similar situation myself a few years back, I fully sympathize with her on this and we, as a community should strive to pay our debts off.

So yeah, the abuse will continue until the donations improve.

After a forum update

Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

Blog Entries

It's called sarcasm, Mdar. Who's done the donation drives in the past? I seem to remember always seeing a yearly "It's that time again" thread, but I haven't seen that for a while. When a problem is easy to ignore, it's easy to ignore. Instead of paying for this shit on her own credit card, we should have run a donation drive, but that didn't happen. My question is, why? Were we all too busy? Was it technically too complicated? Were we just lazy and said "fuck it, no one cares?"

I can't say I have a lot of sympathy right now, a problem of your own making is a problem of your own making, and coming back months after it's a problem and complaining about it with an ultimatum attached isn't the right way to handle it either.

We've had fund raising drives in the past, and we've always been able to pay the bills, so WHY AREN'T WE DOING THIS NOW?

Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

It's called sarcasm, Mdar.
    It's called an opinion with reasons that support my opinion. And dmitry wonders why I don't post (hint: All I post is bad posts)

After a forum update

Ancient Arcanist
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eamin View Post
    Yeah, because explicit rules is a really silly and unworkable stance. Just vague the rules out and leave it up to the mods.
    Works for the federal government, if you view the constitution as the ruleset and the court as mods.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by Lunal View Post
    Works for the federal government, if you view the constitution as the ruleset and the court as mods.
    Dude, the federal government's system of figuring out what is and is not constitutional is a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

You're an attention whore. Damn, I better not use the word whore any more.
    Men can be whores too, it's a calling!

Formerly: Tzakapotek
    Celine Dijon
    Blog Entries

You know, it's funny. Graffes always had overzealous mods; it was part of our culture. Banhammers got swung from time to time, and it just didn't matter. The site grew anyway, because it had a purpose. I think what happened is we all got cocky. We decided we were something important and a bunch of us wanted to codify the "why" of it. That was a mistake I think. I mean, we probably could have started our own super-pac, discovered a cure for baldness, or provided consulting to movie studios and game designers RE: Wizards, but we didn't. Instead -- we had a half-decade long argument about "the rules," and now, almost no one posts here. *shrug* It was fun while it lasted, or at least the first part of it was.
    I go missing
    No longer exist
    One day
    I hope
    I’m someone you miss

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    You banning Dmitry for him calling you boneass.
    OMG I forgot about that, thanks for reminding me. Good times!

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

We should have never had any rules besides those governing how to run mod elections.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    You know, for what it's worth I agree with this in principle. Unfortunately there is a disturbing correlation between taking on a moderation or administration role and ones post count plummeting.
    That's just the inner don't give a shit talking. I was the sysop of a moderately successful dialup BBS network known for the crunchiness of our rats, which grew to over 100 active nodes over time, and let me tell you, the sysops are the ones who drive the content. Absentee sysops wind up with ghost towns every time. If you're not in there, posting, entering content character by character, then you might as well hand the keys over to someone who will. Dmitry is as good a choice as any, since he's a wealthy plutocrat who is heavily invested in Little League futures and needs someplace to work out his issues.

I'd love it if you actually came back, Voca, but you have to actually participate or else no one will respect your authoritah.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Schezar View Post
    I'm pretty sure his personality disorders were there as long as he's been posting here. He just had random shiny things to chase after for the first few years. The pointy hat schtick and EQ race wars were amusing for a while, but he's still posting the same type of things about RL issues and people and that hasn't gone over nearly as well.
    I used my words to deal with Dmitry this past year, I don't need special buttons on my screen to counter his screenpoops. It's an amazing concept that you genius wizard folks might like to try some time, actually arguing with someone instead of erasing their words. The reason we keep having so many partial do-overs of the same tired old conversations is that people are too chickenshit to actually argue things out to their conclusions. We just hush the idiot children up and make them sit in the corner occasionally instead of patiently explaining why they are idiots and should shaddap youse.