Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 279

Thread: Finances and Administration

  1. #81

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Voca 9 posts in the past month.
    Mdar 5 posts in the past month.

    These are not people who really should be considered active enough to run things.

  2. #82

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Quote Originally Posted by Eamin View Post
    Why should mods have to post if they don't feel like it? I don't understand your reasoning.
    Because the site is dying. If they do not give a shit enough o make the site work, why the hell should they mod. How the hell do they mod? They are not here.

  3. #83
    Passes Turing Test
    Voca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,333
    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Voca 9 posts in the past month.
    Mdar 5 posts in the past month.

    These are not people who really should be considered active enough to run things.
    You know, for what it's worth I agree with this in principle. Unfortunately there is a disturbing correlation between taking on a moderation or administration role and ones post count plummeting.
    "Computer science is a continuation of logic by other means" -- Georg Gottlob

    www.Neutrality.ca

  4. #84
    Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Mdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,566
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Quote Originally Posted by Eamin View Post
    So it is just an informal position attributed internally by the newly-elected slate of mods to one of their number, as I thought?
    I'm supposed to, but Grindel never got the permissions right and with VB being wonky I didn't feel like I needed to push the issue. And nothing has came up to where I needed to use 'lead mod powers', but if it did I'd email one of the people that had admin access (probably nadiar) and help me with a temp solution until I could bring in the rest of the mod team to talk it out and figure out a better, long term solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    If you could actually get the site going again there really should be a rule that Mods have to at least log in and post from time to time. I dunno... maybe that's just me.
    I do post from time to time. 1.68 times a day in fact. I also tend not to post unless I feel strongly about the topic being discussed as my writing is far stronger when I'm passionate about the topic, at least that's what my editor tells me.
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

    It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

  5. #85
    Lord Inquisitor Lenin
    Eamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27,799

    Re: Finances and Administration

    The fact that they don't post doesn't necessarily mean they're not here, nor does a mod necessarily have to "be here" to do a mod's job, which strikes me as something that you could very well do "on call". The mod's job is not to "make the site work", it's to enforce the will of the community with regard to what content is allowed and what content prohibited. It's up to the community to make the site work.

  6. #86
    Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Mdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,566
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Because the site is dying. If they do not give a shit enough o make the site work, why the hell should they mod. How the hell do they mod? They are not here.
    Also, I'm set to not show in the user list at the bottom. So when I am lurking you won't see it.
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

    It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

  7. #87

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    You know, for what it's worth I agree with this in principle. Unfortunately there is a disturbing correlation between taking on a moderation or administration role and ones post count plummeting.
    It's not fun to do work. The problem is that you have to proselytizer. Someone has to get people going behind the scenes. It's not something i am good at. Someone really should have already reached out to Ackar to find out if he can be brought back into the fold. He was responsible for starting most of the best discussions in the past few years and now he has pretty much stopped posting regularly. I wonder if I am the only one who noticed.

  8. #88

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    Also, I'm set to not show in the user list at the bottom. So when I am lurking you won't see it.
    yeah. Thanks for your five posts. It made the site great!

  9. #89

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Quote Originally Posted by Eamin View Post
    It's up to the community to make the site work.
    Communism fails. You have to have an active corp of people working to make the place better. The stream of absentee landlords and blaise sameness is destroying the place.

  10. #90
    Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Mdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,566
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    yeah. Thanks for your five posts. It made the site great!
    Didn't make it any worse!
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

    It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

  11. #91
    Lord Inquisitor Lenin
    Eamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27,799

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Communism fails. You have to have an active corp of people working to make the place better. The stream of absentee landlords and blaise sameness is destroying the place.
    Huh? If anything a strong mods driving discussion model seems closer to communism than a from the ground up community talks about whatever it wants to talk about model.

    I'm not sure why the people working to make the place better need to be the mods, necessarily.

  12. #92
    Passes Turing Test
    Voca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,333
    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    It's not fun to do work. The problem is that you have to proselytizer. Someone has to get people going behind the scenes. It's not something i am good at. Someone really should have already reached out to Ackar to find out if he can be brought back into the fold. He was responsible for starting most of the best discussions in the past few years and now he has pretty much stopped posting regularly. I wonder if I am the only one who noticed.
    So here's the thing from my point of view. What made administering Graffes unsuccessful for me was endless arguing about moderation and drama over rules etc. It ate so much of my time that I had no time for proselytizing, for building the front page, for any of that stuff. And I did have ideas about those things as you well know. So maybe among other things it would be good for you all to consider whether the difficulty of administering the rule set is part of the problem.

    And before you say it, I know, Dmitry, you could do it no problem and we are all just wimps. Except you know, you couldn't. You wouldn't get worn out about it like I did. You'd get bored. But the end result would be the same: an admin who wasn't doing the part of the job that is really important, namely growing the site.
    "Computer science is a continuation of logic by other means" -- Georg Gottlob

    www.Neutrality.ca

  13. #93
    Lord Inquisitor Lenin
    Eamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27,799

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Solution to endless rules-lawyering: eliminate the ruleset, allow the mods to mod however they want to mod between elections.

  14. #94

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    Didn't make it any worse!
    It's a low bar but you manage to go over it I guess.

  15. #95
    Ancient Arcanist
    Lunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    26,444
    Blog Entries
    5
    Multiple mods, means some can go missing from time to time. Its not like 20 mods are required.

    Sent from my ADR6300
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

  16. #96

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    So here's the thing from my point of view. What made administering Graffes unsuccessful for me was endless arguing about moderation and drama over rules etc. It ate so much of my time that I had no time for proselytizing, for building the front page, for any of that stuff. And I did have ideas about those things as you well know. So maybe among other things it would be good for you all to consider whether the difficulty of administering the rule set is part of the problem.

    And before you say it, I know, Dmitry, you could do it no problem and we are all just wimps. Except you know, you couldn't. You wouldn't get worn out about it like I did. You'd get bored. But the end result would be the same: an admin who wasn't doing the part of the job that is really important, namely growing the site.
    Why start your proposed new reign with an ultimatum to ONCE AGAIN change the rules? It's fucking retarded to immediately jump back into the shit you hated the first time.

    If you actually posted here still, you might make a very good behind the scenes cajoler of people. THey tend to like you and you like to praise people and make them happy. Don't set yourself up to be the bad guy again. It's not your strength (even if you DID still post here).

  17. #97
    Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Mdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,566
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    It's a low bar but you manage to go over it I guess.
    Given my current issues any accomplishment is a big accomplishment.

  18. #98
    Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    8,687
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Finances and Administration

    Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    You banning Dmitry for him calling you boneass. Then, years later, when Dmitry won a mod election and just started a giant storm of shit some time later. I guess we could also count Glinlor and Merloc as rogue mods because those guys were fucking awful.
    I thought I banned him because he explicitly broke the rules? The way I remember it was you guys just all assumed it was because I didn't like him or something.

  19. #99
    Ancient Arcanist
    Lunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    26,444
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamin View Post
    Solution to endless rules-lawyering: eliminate the ruleset, allow the mods to mod however they want to mod between elections.
    Nah. We at least need a framework. Just have the admin dictate it.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

  20. #100
    Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    8,687
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Finances and Administration

    I don't think my posting pace has really changed since I became a mod, this time the last time or the time years ago, but I also don't really come here to contribute as much as to read and occasionally comment. This site is a great news aggregate for things that I actually care about, politics, computers, games. I think the reason many post less after becoming a mod is because they don't want to be seen as abusing their mod position.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •