Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Finances and Administration

Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

Re: Finances and Administration

Quote Originally Posted by Alikat Astrae View Post
    Mod abuse! Quit trying to interfere with my decision to have an average day!
    The abuse will continue until donations improve!
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetoes View Post
    Considering she has been paying for the site from her personal funds for the last few months, she has every reason.
    Nobody has paid more than I have for this site. Graffe included. Who gives a shit? This is just using money to hold the site hostage to get changes they want and we don't need.

Again. Put the site in my name. I'll pay for it and not change a thing.
    Last edited by DmitrytheWizzy; May 16th, 2012 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetoes View Post
    You know what would be swell Ali? If you actually read what Voca wrote, because she has answered your concerns.
    Fuck that. Anyone can claim bullshit hate speech over anything. This is Voca trying to take over Graffe's with her PC bullshit. She ran away like a bitch the last time she tried and this is her just slinking back to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    I'm not making demands. I'm merely laying out the conditions under which I am willing to do it. If people don't want me to do it under those conditions I am more than happy to turn the whole thing over to someone else. If you are willing and people prefer you to me with my conditions then that would be, quite honestly, fantastic.
    How about we get someone who actually posts here still? That seems like it would be a good idea? Or maybe we could get someone who has not already run screaming from the responsibility?

Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

Fuck that. Anyone can claim bullshit hate speech over anything. This is Voca trying to take over Graffe's with her PC bullshit. She ran away like a bitch the last time she tried and this is her just slinking back to try again.
    http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthr...=1#post1736464

This would make my night so much more relaxing if you would kindly follow your own advice there.

After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE

how big is our sql database? I know on some less costly hosts that is a limiting factor. Godaddy for example limits DB sizes to 1gb unless on a dedicated.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Buckeye Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Lunal View Post
    Nevermind. Click this link for a pretty flower!

http://www.allbestwallpapers.com/wal..._pink_lily.jpg

Last edited by Lunal; Today at 07:18 PM.

+1 because this totally made my day!

Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Nobody has paid more than I have for this site. Graffe included. Who gives a shit? This is just using money to hold the site hostage to get changes they want and we don't need.

Again. Put the site in my name. I'll pay for it and not change a thing.
    We don't have logs previous to 2009, but I believe that Fnagaton (90% sure this is who it was) actually paid more. For awhile I think he was paying for each of the subscriptions every year.

By "not change a thing" would moderators still be able to warn you and ban you for a week when you want to make a bunch of posts about homosexuals?

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

However, I am not a fan of having my name associated with a forum which explicitly bans racism and homophobia but makes no mention of sexism. The implicit message of that rule is that we don't have a problem with sexism, and frankly, that is not acceptable to me if I am to step into the admin role again.
    It's a lot harder to define what constitutes sexism than it is to define what constitutes racism or homophobia. Is this going to be a rule against sexism or just against misogyny, for example?

I'd certainly be in favor of a rule banning direct, personal misogyny of the sort that tends to proliferate on message boards across the rest of the internet, though - basically hate speech against women because they are women. But let's be careful about how we word it.

Similarly, the fact that we mention anti-semitism but apparently grant hate speech targeted at all other religions a free pass strikes me as sending a bad message.
    I agree that there's no reason for anti-Semitism to be treated any differently from other forms of racism or anti-religious bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    We don't have logs previous to 2009, but I believe that Fnagaton (90% sure this is who it was) actually paid more. For awhile I think he was paying for each of the subscriptions every year.

By "not change a thing" would moderators still be able to warn you and ban you for a week when you want to make a bunch of posts about homosexuals?
    Seriously? Not even close on the money. I stopped paying when the bullshit rules changed in 2010.

As for being admin.... Fuck yeah ban me all you want. ... I don't even want admin power at all other than to make sure the bills get paid and if the shit hits the fan I can resuscitate the site. I have no desire for this to become even WORSE of a boring ass nanmby pamby place. Poor Ackar, who probably contributes to the posting more than anyone else has even gotten bored lately. Have you noticed? You lose him and the site is pretty much dead.

You cannot have a serious political discussion without offending someone. The minute you do, the offended party will always cry "hep hep hep me I am being oppressed." You will then decide "yes or no" it's a person I like and want to protect. It won't ever be without personalities.

Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

Blog Entries

In spite of our past conflicts, I'm actually with Dmitry on this one. You made the choice to pay for this out of your pocket, and for that, I'm sure we're all grateful, but stepping in and saying "I'm going to change the rules because no one has run a fund raiser" is bullshit.

The whole point of why our rules are currently the way they are is the opression of the majority, we decided these rules and we enforce them as a community. Paying for the site gives you the right to say "I may stop paying for this and the site will go away" but it doesn't give you the right to trump the community's rules.

I'd be happy to take the lead admin position, although I know it will never happen, but at the very least, I wouldn't threaten to change the rules in order to facilitate the site not dying.
    Last edited by Jonas; May 16th, 2012 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthread.php?73318-We-Require-more-Mojo!&p=1736464&viewfull=1#post1736464

This would make my night so much more relaxing if you would kindly follow your own advice there.
    Hehe... I do... You have no idea how fucking charming I am when I want to be. I just don't want to put on bullshit airs for you.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Seriously? Not even close on the money. I stopped paying when the bullshit rules changed in 2010.

As for being admin.... Fuck yeah ban me all you want. ... I don't even want admin power at all other than to make sure the bills get paid and if the shit hits the fan I can resuscitate the site. I have no desire for this to become even WORSE of a boring ass nanmby pamby place. Poor Ackar, who probably contributes to the posting more than anyone else has even gotten bored lately. Have you noticed? You lose him and the site is pretty much dead.
    I just wanted to point out to the people PMing me that I was right and you didn't take what I said as a troll!

BOOM WINNER.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    In spite of our past conflicts, I'm actually with Dmitry on this one. You made the choice to pay for this out of your pocket, and for that, I'm sure we're all grateful, but stepping in and saying "I'm going to change the rules because no one has run a fund raiser" is bullshit.

The whole point of why our rules are currently the way they are is the opression of the majority, we decided these rules and we enforce them as a community. Paying for the site gives you the right to say "I may stop paying for this and the site will go away" but it doesn't give you the right to trump the community's rules.
    It's actually "If I take over I'm changing the rules" which is a different option. It means we can figure out another way to handle it, or we can just have Voca do it.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

Also: annual moderator elections is a good idea. The idea of a by-election would have to be reconciled with the current system of electing moderators, which is not built around having a fixed number of moderators but rather about maintaining a fixed level of popular support for moderators. One way out would be to have annual elections unless the number of active moderators falls below X, in which case we simply hold new elections for which all currently-serving moderators are automatically renominated. Our rate of moderator attrition is pretty low, so this would be a failsafe more than anything.

We might also consider having a suitably unobtrusive way to recall moderators. Maybe a persistent confidence poll for each moderator, with moderators being expected to resign if their confidence polls show more people voting no than originally voted yes at the last general election. We might just keep their original election polls open indefinitely and just let people change their votes. That way the system would be almost entirely automated and wouldn't require much oversight beyond simply checking for fraudulent votes if a poll started looking close.
    Last edited by Eamin; May 16th, 2012 at 07:24 PM.

No prison can hold me!

Can we just run a fundraiser and see if we can get enough to cover for a while?
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

We are past the point of needing to make a big deal over mod elections. We don't carry the traffic or the level of interest where it matters tha much. You can't have admin elections. Admins come in two varieties. The holder of the keys and the people who do the tech stuff. You can't elect either category.

Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eamin View Post
    We might also consider having a suitably unobtrusive way to recall moderators. Maybe a persistent confidence poll for each moderator, with moderators being expected to resign if their confidence polls show more people voting no than originally voted yes at the last general election.
    This, like the reputation system, is a bad idea.

After a forum update

Second, in virtue of Grindel's absence we are without a Lead Admin. He did pop by recently in response to prodding from Nine, but I emailed him about the financial situation last week and received no response at all.
    Yeah uh bullshit. It was my prodding and if I had not done it we probably would not have known we had such a problem. A problem i might add which is now full of even MORE suck because this end run bullshit it going to embarrass the crap out of Grin and now he will never come back.

Fucking Grindel.