Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Finances and Administration

Passes Turing Test

Re: Finances and Administration

Quote Originally Posted by Destructis View Post
    pantywaist, n. and adj.

2. derogatory. A weak or cowardly person, esp. a young boy; a weakling, a sissy.

"pantywaist, n. and adj.". OED Online. March 2012. Oxford University Press. 16 May 2012 <http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/235903?redirectedFrom=pantywaist>.

Sorry about the derail folks!

Passes Turing Test

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Is there anywhere special or just the link from Nadiar's thing? I'll put in enough for a month to get us some breathing room immediately.
    The link from Nadiar's sticky is a special place! (Yeah, thats the one.)

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    If you write 'hispanics are all lazy fucks who live on welfare" in a post then frankly, I don't want to get into an argument with you about whether this is racist or simply stating the facts. I just want to delete that shit, thank you very much.
    Nobody here has or would post anything like that. But this "perception" bullshit of yours, could it be used to "perceive" racism in a post that promoted Immigration Reform? In the absence of anyone actually posting racist statements, won;t you be manufacturing penumbral emanations in an orgy of prior restraint?

After the "and his ilk" fiasco, why should I trust you?

Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alikat Astrae View Post
    Nobody here has or would post anything like that. But this "perception" bullshit of yours, could it be used to "perceive" racism in a post that promoted Immigration Reform? In the absence of anyone actually posting racist statements, won;t you be manufacturing penumbral emanations in an orgy of prior restraint?

After the "and his ilk" fiasco, why should I trust you?
    Alikat for mod! It's the only way to be sure!

And as for rule changes, I'm very fond of the "Don't be a dick rule".
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

Passes Turing Test

Never mind, found it.
    Last edited by Voca; May 16th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Here's an example of how Voca's "perception" proposal is horse shit:

Irving Kristol wrote a book in 1979 entitled "Confessions of a True, Self-Confessed 'Neoconservative.'" Neoconservatism is an actual political movement, with powerful adherents (such as Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld) and Neoconservatives formed a group called Project for a New American Century (PNAC). The PNAC has a web site, where they have many documents promoting Neoconservative causes, such as military expansion, especially in the Middle East, as well as other foreign policy recommendations and some domestic policy recommendations.

It was well-known that the Bush Administration employed a large number of signatories to PNAC documents. But then Jonah Goldberg wrote an article that accused people of using the term Irving Kristol coined as anti-semitic, that "neoconservative was just a code-word for 'Jew.'"

Obviously that was just more of the Neoconservative Movement's massive campaign of obfuscation, since the record up to that point indicated no such racist connotation. Goldberg was just trying to reduce the amount of criticism his favored political movement was rightfully receiving for its terrible influence on our foreign and domestic policies.

But TORCER, well, he took Jonah Goldberg's article and used it as a sword and shield against anyone who argued against the Neoconservative Movement and its influence. Imagine trying to argue against the group that was actually in charge of the Executive Branch at the time but without being able to describe them in any meaningful sense as a group or a movement. That was strongarming the people who posted here in the worst way, by making them question their own motives.

But Voca's proposal would make it even worse: In her world of "perception," Torcer's accusation would have been unquestioningly accepted, and prior restraint of the worst kind would have prevented many of the conversations we have subsequently had. Hey, we complained about bankers a lot, THAT might be construed as anti-Semitism for the exact same "reasons" as Jonah Goldberg's accusation that "Neoconservative is a code-word for Jew." Because some people associate banking with Jews, a "perception" rule might make complaining about bankers "racist."

Elder Arcanist
    Blog Entries

What are the traffic numbers around here anyway?

Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

You know what would be swell Ali? If you actually read what Voca wrote, because she has answered your concerns.

"With your shield, or on it"

Passes Turing Test

Ali:

I didn't remember the case and was basing my response on your comments in the thread. I have now found and read the report thread. Here is a summary.

My role in that incident was limited to adding an announcement when the main moderator on the case (Merrick) split part of the thread into rants. No one reported "and his ilk", nor was that phrase moderated as anti-semitic. You rightly reported Torcer's violation of the civility rule, Merrick asked him to clean up his language, he refused, the thread got split into rants. Simultaneously Merrick asked you if you might avoid engaging with Torcer on the boards since any interaction between you seemed to end in disaster.

In Merrick's PM to Torcer he specifically rejected Torcer's claim that "and his ilk" meant Jews.

Further, the commentary on the thread itself has various people supporting the general view that there is nothing wrong with saying "and his ilk".

So, in short, it seems that while the hypothetical moderator decision that "and his ilk" was anti-semitic would indeed have been stupid, and I stick by that, it doesn't seem to be the case that anyone made such a moderation decision.

Now, all that aside, I am pretty sure that you are upset about two things. 1) that Merrick asked you to not poke Torcer with a stick anymore, and 2) that when he split the thread he split off your post as well as Torcer's.

As for the first, I don't think that his request was unreasonable even though your comment was not in violation of the rules. Maintaining a working community, whether that community is a workplace, a family, or a message board, sometimes requires that we treat unreasonable people with kid gloves. If that means you would prefer me not to admin again, well, so be it.

As for the second, I probably wouldn't have split the thread there, but it wasn't my policy then as administrator to micromanage the mods or constantly override their decisions unless I thought there was a massive problem. Nor would it be my practice if I was to do the job again. Frankly I don't have time. Again, if that means you don't want me to admin again, well, so be it. I don't take it personally.
    Last edited by Voca; May 16th, 2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: typo

Elder Arcanist
    Crazy Bard

Done for the diamond level which should cover a month. I can't really speak to the admin stuff. Even with our issues from time to time this is one of the best boards around.
    If I wanted to be ignored I'd go to work.

Passes Turing Test

By the way, I think that is sufficient discussion of a single moderation decision in this thread -- if you want to discuss it more Ali let's move it to a new thread in this forum.

Ancient Arcanist
    Blog Entries

Nevermind. Click this link for a pretty flower!

http://www.allbestwallpapers.com/wal..._pink_lily.jpg
    Last edited by Lunal; May 16th, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    What does it cost to run the site per month? Is the $100 per month ($1200 annually) still a good number?
    Yes. Our problem is we basically will use ~1 2.5Ghz CPU (runs about 25% average over the day, but spikes to 60%) and ~3GB RAM.

I think I could squeeze us into 2gb RAM if I beat it around a bit (mainly the problem is that we've had "unlimited ram" so I have no idea how much we absolutely require for an OS+LAMP+vB).

If I squeezed us into 2GB, we could stay on rackspace and drop down to about $88/month. If we switched to most other providers we would be somewhere between $60-75 for that same service. Kicking it up to 4GB would push it to around $120 vs $90. I'm hesitant to switch to a dedicated service though, because if I weren't around, the person that takes over has to be able to admin an actual server. With our current setup, the person that takes over only has to admin the forums, and can honestly know almost nothing about servers.

Honestly, if I could have fiber delivered to my home, I'd just buy 2 mac mini's, a dedicated UPS, a RAID1 NAS, and set them both up as virtualized servers.

The first year would cost us about the same as what a year costs us, but after that, it would just be $20/mo or whatever I felt like charging for some % of my bandwidth+power.

When we were on Baelish's servers (which were doing a lot of shifty shit in the background) we were not fault tolerant at all. A hard drive failure would have meant Graffes was completely lost. A lot of the dedicated server systems we can pay for run less than what we pay right now, but there are no backups, you have to generate them yourself, which is also additional cost to store the backups.

Right now if we need to restore a backup, I just contact Rackspace, ask for the backup to be restored, and 10 minutes later it's back.

Also, we're grandfathered in on Rackspace and new accounts cost $150 (because thats what you're actually getting... We're just only using about 25% of what we're getting). We could resell the remainder if anyone wanted to buy space... Would anyone feel better about paying say $15/month if you could get site along with it?

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    So, in short, it seems that while the hypothetical moderator decision that "and his ilk" was anti-semitic would indeed have been stupid, and I stick by that, it doesn't seem to be the case that anyone made such a moderation decision..
    Then how come I still have a PM in my inbox from then-Moderator Dmitry asking me to edit my post? Whoops your disorganization. Really gives me confidence in giving you additional leeway to edit posts. The previous sentence may contain sarcasm.

Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

Then how come I still have a PM in my inbox from then-Moderator Dmitry asking me to edit my post? Whoops your disorganization. Really gives me confidence in giving you additional leeway to edit posts. The previous sentence may contain sarcasm.
    Alikat, Voca asked you nicely to continue this specific discussion in a new thread. Please feel free to do so.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Feel free to kiss my ass, Baelan.

Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

Feel free to kiss my ass, Baelan.
    I love it when you flirt

Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetoes View Post
    Alikat, Voca asked you nicely to continue this specific discussion in a new thread. Please feel free to do so.
    Technically speaking, the only people allowed to moderate these forums are Maledict and myself. And if that is the last thing Alikat has to say about the issue I'm fine with it. If it keeps up though, either because of Voca, Alikat or other posters I'll be splitting the discussion into it's own thread.

Have a super day.
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetoes View Post
    I love it when you flirt
    Of course you do, I'm awesome.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    Have a super day.
    Mod abuse! Quit trying to interfere with my decision to have an average day!