Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Finances and Administration

Re: Finances and Administration

Just make a good cut off date. Take all the posts from before that date and make a downloadable archive. Sounds like that is technically feasible. You can call the file:

Dmitry.is.always.right.V1

Ancient Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Just make a good cut off date. Take all the posts from before that date and make a downloadable archive. Sounds like that is technically feasible. You can call the file:

Dmitry.is.always.right.V1
    To long, just label it Faygoat

Passes Turing Test

Today I found out some needed information by tracking down a post I made in 2009. I love Graffes.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    Today I found out some needed information by tracking down a post I made in 2009. I love Graffes.
    You discovered you love Graffes from your old post circa 2009?

: P

Ancient Arcanist

That alzheimers kicking in again? I guess forgetting your daughters name is ok under the circumstances.

Buckeye Wizard

Seems like I've heard alot of arguments emphasizing the down side of that feature, but I have to agree that I think it's handy as hell, too.
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Destructis View Post
    That alzheimers kicking in again? I guess forgetting your daughters name is ok under the circumstances.
    Those who clean their house with Windex should be careful in the rock garden.

Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Eremius View Post
    Those who clean their house with Windex should be careful in the rock garden.
    Heh

"With your shield, or on it"

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerkahia View Post
    Seems like I've heard alot of arguments emphasizing the down side of that feature, but I have to agree that I think it's handy as hell, too.
    Handy, sure. But is it worth the maintenance cost?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Buckeye Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Merkus View Post
    Handy, sure. But is it worth the maintenance cost?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    That's a question for those keeping this site running. It's certainly worth it to me, but of course I'm not tasked with maintaining it or financing it.

:P
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Passes Turing Test

Quote Originally Posted by Nerkahia View Post
    That's a question for those keeping this site running. It's certainly worth it to me, but of course I'm not tasked with maintaining it or financing it.

:P
    Well despite my finding endless archives useful, we are pretty much stalled at $1000 of donations. That is fantastic and we appreciate everyone who pitched in, but it doesn't cover a years hosting at the current rate. So that suggests that Nadiar's plan to trim us down and move us to a cheaper host is the way to go.

(Incidentally the question I was able to answer was when I bought my husband's Alienware laptop for him. I was able to narrow it down to a week long period by my posts asking about solid state drives.)

Elder Arcanist
    Beep! Beep!

Well despite my finding endless archives useful, we are pretty much stalled at $1000 of donations. That is fantastic and we appreciate everyone who pitched in, but it doesn't cover a years hosting at the current rate. So that suggests that Nadiar's plan to trim us down and move us to a cheaper host is the way to go.

(Incidentally the question I was able to answer was when I bought my husband's Alienware laptop for him. I was able to narrow it down to a week long period by my posts asking about solid state drives.)
    I apologize to the community for not making a donation yet, I've been going through a bit of a rough patch. However, our community has shrunk tremendously in size and each year it seems like we lose more and more long time members without any new blood. Not only should we trim the fat, but we should also find ways to expand our community.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Valas, you don't have to apologize to anyone, thanks for caring enough to want to donate, but you don't have to donate. I used to usually just buy the forum software, but I can't afford it right now (House + Medical Bills + Feeding and Housing my brother until he gets a job).

Passes Turing Test
    Quote Originally Posted by valas View Post
    I apologize to the community for not making a donation yet, I've been going through a bit of a rough patch. However, our community has shrunk tremendously in size and each year it seems like we lose more and more long time members without any new blood. Not only should we trim the fat, but we should also find ways to expand our community.
    Nadiar's right. There is no apology needed. It's just a case of living within our means.
    "Computer science is a continuation of logic by other means" -- Georg Gottlob

www.Neutrality.ca

STUPID IS CONTAGIOUS

maybe make another note to remind people that we need a bit more, maybe that will shake the tree bit.
    do you promise to tell the whole truth and Nothing but the truth, so help you GOD?

TRUMP: NO...

Elder Arcanist

I will be able to send some money when we get my Dad's investments closed out and the money split up between my brother, sister and myself. I am just not sure when that will be. Until then I have like $80 to my name. I haven't worked in a few years while taking care of my father and now that most of the cleaning work is done I am going to start looking for work while finishing my associates degree and starting my bachelors.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

Yeah no one should feel guilty if they can't donate. There are always options.

Although if due dates arrive and administrators are putting their own money on the line please let us know sooner than later.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

How long is this donation drive open for?

In august I'll hit my 90 days at the new job so I can theoretically stop panicking about sudden stoppage of income and possibly actually do discretionary things in amounts that total more than recently accounted for allowance per paycheck once the new computations come in and we can work out the savings so we can move from the house we bought in 2005 at a ridiculous percentage (no ARM thankfully) that's sitting on a mortgage roughly twice it's current value, but...

I actually do really love these forums and the people in them.

To that end that I'll forego non-necessities if it means the difference between switching to another host/subreddit. (I'm not saying anyone else should)

I'm mostly okay with archiving as read only any post that's more than a year old.

But I love some of the small things about vBulletin, like the spoiler tag actually collapsing text instead of blacking it out by default.

Stylistically (on the back end), vBulletin blows goats, but if it will help get us on a little longer and no decision is currently being made, maybe we should update the drive....because if we're close and it'll actually help us make a better long-term decision (NOT LIKE THE FIRST MOD ELECTIONS) I'd happily work to donate a little more to put us over the edge if we're actually close.

Based on the graph it looks like we're not, but I don't know what that means for the site.

Hopefully this is a "no pressure" "what next" situation now that Voca has been paid back and hopefully noone else is incurring costs ala her (or possibly Grindel's, I forget who did what and it's been a long day) situation, but when the technical staff has time, it'd be really nice from my perspective to see some kind of updated write-up about database optimization, archiving, other options, and perhaps a situation report from someone who has administrative control. I specifically don't want a vote here because doing multiple site-related things at once just seems to muddle things at large, but I am truly curious about the donation bar stagnation and what it means if I become an actual donator. (I don't care about titles, etc, I mean for the current condition of the server layout and payment model we have running now).
    Last edited by Merrick ap'Milandra; July 10th, 2012 at 10:29 PM.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

The Donation is always "open." We just got ahead of ourselves by quite a bit after we moved off last time, and had enough money to coast for awhile without running a drive.

We're looking at a 2 day outage later this month when I switch us over to Linode and cut our costs by over half, which will make it a lot more feasible to keep us going for awhile.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums