Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Finances and Administration

Passes Turing Test

Finances and Administration

Dear Graffes;

We have two current problems.

The first is financial. When Grindel took over as lead admin we were coming to the end of our funds. Indeed, the only reason I hadn't done a fund raiser already was because I wanted folks to know who the new admin was.

As you know, Grindel spent a fair amount of time arranging t-shirts etc (paid for by him not the site), but never got around to actually running the fund raiser. At the point at which we ran out of money I emailed him about it, and he covered the costs of the site himself until December of 2011. Shortly thereafter he went essentially awol, and the cost of running the site since then has gone to my personal credit card. The announcement you see at the top of the site is Nadiar's response to me pointing out the situation in the Admin forum. A couple of folks have dropped in money in the last few days; enough to cover about 3 months of operations. Thanks you guys!

Second, in virtue of Grindel's absence we are without a Lead Admin. He did pop by recently in response to prodding from Nine, but I emailed him about the financial situation last week and received no response at all.

I am willing to step back into the role of Lead Admin, and do the necessary fundraising but if I do the following two things will happen.

First, there will be a rule explicitly banning postings which are sexist, racist, and homophobic, along with other forms of hate speech. I will consult with the community about the formulation of the rule but not about it's presence. I am not at this point willing to administrate a site with out such a rule.

Second moderator elections will occur once a year, with the possibility of by-elections if we run short of mods due to people stepping down etc. More often is simply a pain in the ass.

Alternatively, if people do not want me to return to administering the site under these conditions, then we will continue to shuffle on in this way until either (a) an new administrator steps up or (b) there is no money in the bank, in which case I will simply
    turn off the lights, so to speak.

I'll put up a poll at the beginning of next week to let you have a say about my proposal for a coup d'état.

Best,

Nicole "Voca" Wyatt
    "Computer science is a continuation of logic by other means" -- Georg Gottlob

www.Neutrality.ca

Re: Finances and Administration

Bullshit. Where the FUCK do you get off making demands like rule changes in order to run shit. Hey, I'll run the site and NOT change the rules. I'll even not bitch about money.

Passes Turing Test

I'm not making demands. I'm merely laying out the conditions under which I am willing to do it. If people don't want me to do it under those conditions I am more than happy to turn the whole thing over to someone else. If you are willing and people prefer you to me with my conditions then that would be, quite honestly, fantastic.
    "Computer science is a continuation of logic by other means" -- Georg Gottlob

www.Neutrality.ca

Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

Considering she has been paying for the site from her personal funds for the last few months, she has every reason.

"With your shield, or on it"

STUPID IS CONTAGIOUS

is the only way to pay thru paypal? i dont have an account but i would like to pay something.
    do you promise to tell the whole truth and Nothing but the truth, so help you GOD?

TRUMP: NO...

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Runan View Post
    is the only way to pay thru paypal? i dont have an account but i would like to pay something.
    You should be able to use Paypal without making an account.

Ancient Arcanist
    Blog Entries

I thought we already forbade those things in the ruleset.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

Passes Turing Test

Quote Originally Posted by Lunal View Post
    I thought we already forbade those things in the ruleset.
    We forbid racism, anti-semitism, and homophobia but there is no rule forbidding sexism and hate speech more generally, except in as far as they fall under the general civility rule. So this is an expansion of the ruleset in that respect.

Furthermore, my formulation above forbids posts which are racist, sexist, homophobic, or which constitute hate speech (anti-semitic posts would fall under hate-speech). This formulation avoids dispute over whether the intention of the poster was to be racist, etc, and focuses on how the post would be perceived. Of course, formulation of the rule would be subject to community discussion, but my intention in that formulation was to bypass some of the disputes that have arisen about such posts in the past.

-V
    Last edited by Voca; May 16th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

"How they are perceived?" You mean the time that I used the common term "and his ilk" and you awesome highly-educated mods were almost certain that "ilk" was an anti-Semitic term? I shall take a dump on your perception's chest.

Elder Arcanist
    Crazy Bard

What does it cost to run the site per month? Is the $100 per month ($1200 annually) still a good number?
    If I wanted to be ignored I'd go to work.

Ancient Arcanist
    Blog Entries

Ok, I see now. As a known peach Nazi and fan of Javert, I have no problem with a more strict rule regarding those subjects. The meat of the matter always rests in the modding anyhow, rather than the actual ruleset.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

Ancient Arcanist

So does that mean saying pussy whipped and panty waste will be outlawed? I am just trying to gauge what you are saying about being sexist.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Ewwww. Panty waste....

Passes Turing Test

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    What does it cost to run the site per month? Is the $100 per month ($1200 annually) still a good number?
    That is still a good number.

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    You should be able to use Paypal without making an account.
    Yep, I don't have an account either. I paid with my credit card, no hassle, no account required.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Passes Turing Test

Quote Originally Posted by Destructis View Post
    So does that mean saying pussy whipped and panty waste will be outlawed? I am just trying to gauge what you are saying about being sexist.
    Pantywaist is the word you are looking for.

I think that if you look back at my stints as mod and as admin you'll see that I was never in favour of the "banned words" approach to sexism, or indeed any of the other isms. It's not that I don't think that those words reflect underlying sexism in our culture -- they most certainly do do that. But the banned words approach just results in the sort of silliness Alikat refers to in her comment about "his ilk". Etymology is not in fact destiny.

Nor do I think that Graffes is generally a hotbed of sexist high jinks. It's probably a fair bit better than many (most?) internet discussion forums actually.

However, I am not a fan of having my name associated with a forum which explicitly bans racism and homophobia but makes no mention of sexism. The implicit message of that rule is that we don't have a problem with sexism, and frankly, that is not acceptable to me if I am to step into the admin role again.

Similarly, the fact that we mention anti-semitism but apparently grant hate speech targeted at all other religions a free pass strikes me as sending a bad message.

Elder Arcanist
    Crazy Bard

Is there anywhere special or just the link from Nadiar's thing? I'll put in enough for a month to get us some breathing room immediately.
    If I wanted to be ignored I'd go to work.

Ancient Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    Pantywaist is the word you are looking for.
    /sigh

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=Panty%20Waste

Passes Turing Test

Quote Originally Posted by Alikat Astrae View Post
    "How they are perceived?" You mean the time that I used the common term "and his ilk" and you awesome highly-educated mods were almost certain that "ilk" was an anti-Semitic term? I shall take a dump on your perception's chest.
    I shall go on record as saying that such a moderation decision would be stupid. I can't remember if it happened under my watch, but if it did I proffer my apologies.

What I had in mind when I wrote "how they are perceived" was that we want a rule that allows us to moderate posts without having to get into any arguments with posters about "what they meant". If you write 'hispanics are all lazy fucks who live on welfare" in a post then frankly, I don't want to get into an argument with you about whether this is racist or simply stating the facts. I just want to delete that shit, thank you very much.
    Last edited by Voca; May 16th, 2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Italics replace "it was stupid" with it would have been, since it turns out no such decision was made.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Destructis View Post
    The only thing sadder than a dictionary attack is an URBAN Dictionary attack.