Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The useful [hobby related item] thread.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: The useful [hobby related item] thread.

My brother suggests pspice. Search for the student version.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    I really wish I pursued a career in electrical engineering as opposed to business and music.

or GIS... both those damn fields are great for English speaking people who are adapt at additional foreign languages.

hella Star-Demon :3

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    The student version of PSPICE is practically unusable. It has very few libraries, which is where all of the information specific to circuit elements is contained and where the value in the program lies. Even for my sophomore circuits classes it was insufficient. It only gets worse from there.

3381034.jpg

These things are my new best friend for when i get SHIT on my hand.

Literally SHIT, Grime, Grey-water sludge ((SHIT)), latex paint, tar, SHIT that is NASTIER than SHIT, Glue, Sticky SHIT that is STICKIER than SHIT.

These things are awesome. I get them in bulk for about 2 bucks a container of 60 which blows the price anywhere else out of the water. If you hate having dirt in the worn crevices of your hand, and motor oil or worse stuck to your hands, and need to get rid of it fast, I highly recommend having a couple containers of these stuffed around the house; in your garage, in your glove compartment, in your trunk, under your bathroom and kitchen sinks, and in your garden locker.

These things are extremely nice to have around.

(I keep a container of GOJO Pumice soap in my truck, also, but these are just handier to use, because you don't need water with them, and can hand them to someone that you're working with who might not know how to use GOJO).

This is more niche, but if you do much desoldering, a desoldering gun like the Hakko 808 for example is a massive time saver. I still have a sodapult on hand, but use the desoldering gun the vast majority of the time. It weirdly does not have an on/off switch on the device itself though bizarrely. An analogue would be the difference between using a nail gun or a hammer to nail something in terms of time efficacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihoko Ishii View Post
    I've found my leatherman wave very clutch while fishing for changing baits, cutting lines, etc. It also can open bottles which is sometimes useful. You can handle pretty much most tasks with just the pliers due to how that tool is designed. And you can use it for wire stripping etc. It can replace a significant amount of screwdriver bits too. You are still going to need another knife for skinning/gutting/filleting purposes though.

Okay. Consider me swayed and converted.

While turning an apartment last month, I came across a Snap-On version of the Leatherman. It was left behind, so I put it in a box of other similar things, and it sat in the shop for a couple weeks.

Before going on vacation this week, I decided to clean out the shop, and this was one of the things I took home with me.

As we were doing camping this weekend, and I thought about how often we need different tools to complete some tasks that would otherwise be more difficult done only with tooth and nail, i decided to grab it from the kitchen cabinet, and stick it in my side cargo pocket.

The very first night, we were experiencing awful winds, and I was having to cook over charcoal. It just would not heat the chicken we had going on the barbie, despite there being an entire bag. So I took out the "13-in-1," opened it up, and started cutting some aluminum trays we had and fashioning them as wind breakers. They worked wonderfully.

Later on, we had a similar situation in the morning, and instead, I took out the saw knife and cut out wire bracing from the same aluminum trays and fashioned them around the same trays to reinforce them aroudn the camp stove so that I coudl cook breakfast.

All in all, I used it here and there every once in a while to cut or stab pieces of plastic and what not, and it was really quite handy.

I'll never put one in my tool bag at work (i'd just damage and dull it over time, and never get around to sharpening it), but i'll definitely keep it in the kitchen-tool cubby, so that it is always at the ready for when we need a quick tool.

electric tape for covering up LEDs on every electronics device in the universe

I noticed home depot is drastically reducing many of the Li-Ion battery packs that they keep in stock for their Ridgid and Ryobi house brands.

About a year ago, I'd picked up a Dual 4000mAh 18v battery pack for my Ryobis for $100. They normally sell by themselves for $100. i was going to split the cost with somebody, but I couldn't find any takers and returned it.

For a year, they didn't sell. They stayed on the aisle caps, and didn't sell. Then about a week ago, I saw them marked down to $84. I decided, what the hell, grabbed it, and when i purchased it, they'd dropped down to $75. THIS IS LESS EXPENSIVE THAN REBUILDING THEM WITH YOUR OWN LI-ION. If you were to buy hi-drain 18650 batteries, they'd cost about $10 each ( a good quality samsung or sony ) 5 of them are necessary for a 2amp battery pack. These are the high capacity 3400mAh batteries which typically cost 15 to 20 dollars per cell.

The value in these suckers is ridiculous.

In addition to the ryobi battery packs, the 12v RIDGID are down fro $70 a piece, to $35 for a 2 pack.

I believe these use the 18350 half-size cells. I'm not absolutely certain. I might take one of them apart to see what is in there (or see if I can find it on youtube).

All in all, it is something to be excited over, especially if you collect this stuff yourself.

My only upset, and it is a slightly minor one, is that I noticed that the lifetime warranty tag that used to be on all the RIDGID tools is no longer listed. It looks like they've gone to 3 year warranties again, which is okay with me. I've been highly considering getting a set of Milwaukees, lately.

We'll see what happens.