Thread: Forum Consolidation Suggestions

Y39 + NinjaDuck = Doom!

Forum Consolidation Suggestions

I browse the Gaming Forums quite often. A couple of things stand out as options for streamlining, and could be easy-to-achieve. These are all for the MMO-discussion sub-forum.

• Star Wars: TOR will be wanting its own subforum very soon. The information and link support is about to explode.
    • The Roll Call and Helpful Links stickied threads for Eve Online and Rift could be consolidated into a single thread - they get few/no new posts and take up head room on the page. The quality of the resource wouldn't be hindered by combining the two stickies for each of these games.
    • The format for the WoW forums has worked out *really* nicely. Having the subforums for the game separated the large quantity of information nicely. If we get another game's community here, the format would be worth considering again.

These are merely suggestions. Thoughts, feedback?
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
    -"To Serve and To Protect"

"I don't trust my government, I don't trust the people who work for my government, and I believe that the evidence suggests that it's irrational to offer such trust." - Ken White

"The first 90% of the project is done, now we're working on the remaining 90%." -SoylentNews

Elder Arcanist

Re: Forum Consolidation Suggestions

I agree on the subforum point. It's a nice way of separating information.

Are there limits on the depth of subforums? If not, with WoW being in a definite cooldown phase, would it make sense to make the WoW forums a subforum of General MMO?

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

The Games forum requires a Prefix, which makes it easy to tear specific games out and put them into another forum, which is my plan with SWTOR... I was just dumb and hallucinated actually adding that Prefix

Consolidated a bunch of posts, but not plans at this time to spin off a new forum, we'll see how popular it becomes. WoW saves itself for 3-4 months every time there is a huge content update (expansion).

Elder Arcanist

Ya, if anything I'd say merge all MMOs into a single forum and just use tags. Lately even when big content patches come even the WoW forums still moves slow.

Formerly: Tzakapotek
    Celine Dijon
    Blog Entries

It's a cute fantasy that WoW is somehow more important than any other game that gets discussed here. Sure, in 2004. But in 2011? Narnia, please.
    I go missing
    No longer exist
    One day
    I hope
    I’m someone you miss

Ancient Arcanist
    Blog Entries

I would play an MMO set in Narnia. It would be set during the reign of Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. Lots of room to create and entire world there without affecting existing canon in any way.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

Formerly: Tzakapotek
    Celine Dijon
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lunal View Post
    I would play an MMO set in Narnia. It would be set during the reign of Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. Lots of room to create and entire world there without affecting existing canon in any way.
    Now FREE to play with Item Store!

"Your in our closet, now!"
    I go missing
    No longer exist
    One day
    I hope
    I’m someone you miss

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandor
    It's a cute fantasy that WoW is somehow more important than any other game that gets discussed here.
    There's a link between importance and whether a game has its own subsection or not? I thought it was about traffic and volume of posts. By that standard, SW:TOR deserves a subforum, unless we're trying to save pixels for some reason.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandor View Post
    "Your in our closet, now!"
    You're infringing on our copyright, now!

Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

Blog Entries

It has been standard practice around here to "see how it plays out" for a few months before we've changed forums.

Now, on the other hand, I would argue the "build it and they will come" argument is probably valid in that, we won't get new posters coming here for content related to new MMOs without building forums to welcome them, but... Even thought I've hosted vBulletin and have had thousands of hours available (skills and time) to do this, I don't have the rights, so, you'll have to wait for the Joker.

Ancient Arcanist
    Blog Entries

Oooo thats a great point. We should start a Narnia MMO forum right now so a Narnia MMO will actually happen!
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

this game deserves its own forum. i havnt had asmuch fun in an mmo since everquest and that includes my wow exp =p

im not saying wow is downhill either but its not hogging all the spotlight anymore.
    yeah i got a youtube channel! check it out. it's mostly lets plays and don't go in expecting it to be super professional. Enjoy! =p

My youtube!

I don't see Star Wars needing its own forum. It has only a couple of threads and it's still early. Consolidate the WoW stuff in now. Not a lot of threads or posts there these days.

Tasty Danish
    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    I don't see Star Wars needing its own forum. It has only a couple of threads and it's still early. Consolidate the WoW stuff in now. Not a lot of threads or posts there these days.
    I do agree with the gnome, the WoW forum has been very, very quiet for the last few months.
    I think the prefix method for threads work just fine

Sent from my NOOKcolor using Tapatalk
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    The only thing holding me back from doing it right now is just that I'm busy.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

another mmo prefix gone. should have another to replace it! =p
    yeah i got a youtube channel! check it out. it's mostly lets plays and don't go in expecting it to be super professional. Enjoy! =p

My youtube!