Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 330

Thread: What exactly is a hostile environment?

  1. #141
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ialnyien View Post
    So are you saying Dmitry called you right on it? I mean you certainly are not defending yourself.
    See? This is exactly why you lose debates constantly. Weak and pathetic arguing skills. I have no need to defend myself in a thread about Dmitry attempting to be a poisonous homophobe on the forum.

    Oh, and your champion of justice created another thread about 'teh gayz' in General.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  2. #142
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,125

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas View Post
    See? This is exactly why you lose debates constantly. Weak and pathetic arguing skills. I have no need to defend myself in a thread about Dmitry attempting to be a poisonous homophobe on the forum.

    Oh, and your champion of justice created another thread about 'teh gayz' in General.
    No, you see this is the problem. You, and your attitude. Nowhere did I say Dmitry was "champion of justice", and yet, you continue to snipe whenever you feel like it and then call people when they dont' respond on it. Either walk the talk, or walk away.

  3. #143
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ialnyien View Post
    No, you see this is the problem. You, and your attitude. Nowhere did I say Dmitry was "champion of justice", and yet, you continue to snipe whenever you feel like it and then call people when they dont' respond on it. Either walk the talk, or walk away.
    Your post is so full of irony, that I feel it should have a capital I. Irony.

    1) Your attitude (and debating skills) is the problem, not 'The Elite' as you say.

    2) Step up your game or walk away. No one is forcing you to defeat yourself in the politics threads.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  4. #144
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,125

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas View Post
    Your post is so full of irony, that I feel it should have a capital I. Irony.

    1) Your attitude (and debating skills) is the problem, not 'The Elite' as you say.

    2) Step up your game or walk away. No one is forcing you to defeat yourself in the politics threads.
    WTF are you talking about? In this post here: http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthr...=1#post1676575 you mention that "My champion of justice", except I didn't say that at all, you put words in my mouth and made a reference to something I never even aluded to. Thats' the crap that has to stop, and your the friggen #1 offender of that.

  5. #145
    Mr. Angsty Spice
    Melcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,823

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    What is anybody talking about any more...

    Moderation double standard?

    Here: If a poster with 5 posts had come and made Dmitry's "Faygoat" threads; What would have happened to them?
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

  6. #146
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ialnyien View Post
    WTF are you talking about? In this post here: http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthr...=1#post1676575 you mention that "My champion of justice", except I didn't say that at all, you put words in my mouth and made a reference to something I never even aluded to. Thats' the crap that has to stop, and your the friggen #1 offender of that.
    You seem to be having a more difficult time than usual. Have you taken your meds?

    Go back to the beginning of our exchange and give that whole 'reading' thing a try. It's exactly why you get dusted in the political threads.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  7. #147
    Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    8,687
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Yes, Dmitry posted yet another thread about homosexuals, and in this case it's actually an interesting topic with nothing inflamatory. So, while I'd estimate the majority of the topics he's posted on homosexual topics are simply trolling, he has intentionally picked a thought provoking topic written in a serious manner to demonstrate a point, and I believe he's made it.

    Please stay on topic and maintain your civility. There is nothing untoward in that thread.
    Last edited by Jonas; April 19th, 2011 at 11:19 AM.

  8. #148
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Yes, Dmitry posted yet another thread about homosexuals, and in this case it's actually an interesting topic with nothing inflamatory. So, while I'd estimate the majority of the topics he's posted on homosexual topics are simply trolling, he has intentionally picked a thought provoking topic written in a serious manner to demonstrate a point, and I believe he'd made it.

    Please stay on topic and maintain your civility. There is nothing untoward in that thread.
    No. Moderate me and prove that moderation is poorly done and arbitrarily administered.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  9. #149
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Time to call you to task Jonas:

    Quote Originally Posted by Teh Rulz
    1) No spam.

    2) Pornographic images and erotic fiction depicting or describing one or more individuals engaged in explicit or sexually-provocative behavior, viewable or linked, are prohibited at this site. Posting of porn will cause moderator action, from deleting links or posts or images up to suspensions of offenders. Frank discussion of sexual matters is not prohibited. Also see the NSFW rule.

    3) No posting of other people's private information, such as real name, phone number, physical address, and IP address, and no reposting of people's photographs. This applies even if that person has previously posted the information themselves.

    4) No express Racism, Anti-Semitism or Homophobia. This rule shall not be construed to prohibit legitimate discussion of controversial issues such as Affirmative Action, the Israel and Palestine Issue, or Same Sex Marriage.

    In all forums other than Rants:

    5) The viewable and embedded content of posts, avatars, and signatures should always be Safe for Work as a rule. Sexy or graphic images (e.g., depicting violence) are generally Not Safe For Work. Content with audio should be flagged as such. Please err in favor of those at work and provide a NSFW tag on content if in doubt. Linked materials need not be Safe for Work but should be flagged as such.

    6) Be Civil: While vehement disagreement is part of the tradition of Graffes and is strongly encouraged, posts should conform to a minimal level of common decency. This is a constraint on form and not content.
    Tell me which rule I'm breaking.

    Pretty sick of you guys letting Dmitry slam his nutsack on your heads and all over the forum. Like Melcar said, any other poster would have been permabanned by now.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  10. #150
    No prison can hold me!
    Schezar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,338

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade-T-E View Post
    Ninetoes
    you missed out "sheep shagger" and "Haggis humper"! :P
    I thought we already declared you as open season. :P
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

  11. #151
    Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    8,687
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    You aren't breaking any rules, which is why none of your posts have been reported and you haven't been issued any warnings.

  12. #152
    Check the
    Track Record
    Grindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    39,067
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas View Post
    Pretty sick of you guys letting Dmitry slam his nutsack on your heads and all over the forum. Like Melcar said, any other poster would have been permabanned by now.
    We have procedures in place for handling perma-bans of established posters, approved by the forum's users. We all know what they are, and they've been called on before. If things happen that warrant that I would not treat Dmitry unfairly, nor would I treat him any differently than I'd treat any other established poster. That's exactly why we have established procedures, to prevent that sort of thing. I don't think we're going to see that happen, because deep down Dmitry is as emotionally vested in this place as you, I, Kaelon, Silver, or anyone else here is. While I question his tactics I don't question his feelings for this place. Usually.

  13. #153
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    You aren't breaking any rules, which is why none of your posts have been reported and you haven't been issued any warnings.
    Then why have you TWICE now told me what I can or cannot post? So since I'm not breaking any rules, I'm very politely telling you to stuff it.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  14. #154
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,125

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas View Post
    Then why have you TWICE now told me what I can or cannot post? So since I'm not breaking any rules, I'm very politely telling you to stuff it.
    I don't know... in terms of civility, implying that I'm on meds would be walking the fence. Especially when at a higher standard in this forum. Of course your "soft" attacks don't matter to me, but I think your just being a bit dense at this point.

  15. #155
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ialnyien View Post
    I don't know... in terms of civility, implying that I'm on meds would be walking the fence. Especially when at a higher standard in this forum. Of course your "soft" attacks don't matter to me, but I think your just being a bit dense at this point.
    And you don't even know what you're talking about. Jonas is telling me what I can say in a thread not in this forum.

    Thanks for playing, please come again.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  16. #156
    Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    8,687
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    'Please stay on topic and keep it civil' is a request, not a directive. My intent is to let you know that I see what could turn into a problem and I hope to keep it away from there. You have every right to say anything you want to anyone you want, but it is my duty to enforce the civility rule.

    As it is, I also sent a PM to Dmitry asking the same thing of him about the same time I posted in this thread that it is my opinion that staying on topic is probably best for everyone, so as to avoid the inevitable flame war. If that's what you're looking for, fine, but again I will ask you politely to try to avoid it because it cannot end up in a good place for anyone, myself included.

    EDIT: For the sake of clarity, a directive would come in the form of an infraction, a request is prefixed with "please".
    Last edited by Jonas; April 19th, 2011 at 12:19 PM.

  17. #157
    Elder Arcanist
    Maledict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,808

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    I do intend to make a huge post about rules and modding at some point, but just a quick point:

    Absolute dictatorship moderation does work. In fact, it works a hell of a lot better than ours. Take a look at gaming forums which do have huge traffic flows. Take Penny Arcade for example - they only have a few mods per forum, they have incredibly strict rules ot the point where the *only* insult you can use is "you silly goose". anything further than that gets moderated, and moderated heavily.
    Yet depite that, they have more topics, more conversation, and a freer flow of ideas - even though they are a FAR more liberal board than we are overall. Removing all moderation doesn't create a better discussion place, it creates a *dead* discussion place because people will routinely be hounded from the board as it slowly eats itself. I'm not sure why you would think that removing all moderation and content removal would make the board better, it demonstratably makes it worse.

    There is a reason we have rules for conversation and discussion at every single level in real life. Be it at a bar, your work place, a meeting or in government, there are *always* rules about how you do and do not treat other people. yet for some reason we pretend those social norms vanish on Graffes, and it makes us a much poorer, much more restricted board.
    Last edited by Maledict; April 19th, 2011 at 12:59 PM.

  18. #158
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,125

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas View Post
    And you don't even know what you're talking about. Jonas is telling me what I can say in a thread not in this forum.

    Thanks for playing, please come again.
    And once again you ignore your soft attacks, totally ignoring the facts. Typical.

  19. #159
    Chair warmer, Sector 7G
    Alikat Astrae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    44,189

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Thanks to Internet Tough Guys like Dmitry, plus the rest of the Endless September idiotocracy, the minimal level of common decency online has dropped to something between the FOH Rickshaw and Youtube Comments. I think we've been moderated at a slightly higher level of common decency than just "minimal." Just sayin'.

  20. #160
    Elder Arcanist
    Maledict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,808

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    I'm really sorry, (and really dumb), but I don't fully understand what you're saying there Ali. Are you referring to the level of decency online in general, or just at Graffes in the first sentance? Whats' the September Idiocracy?

    And whilst we have been moderated at levels higher than minimal, it's still far more lax than basically every other forum I now bother reading, and it doesn't seem to bring us *anything*. At the same time, it absolutely moves people away from the board and shuts down conversation and debate. We still allow folks to say things casually that at F13 or Penny Arcade would just get you banned (from all sides of the political spectrum), and yet oddly enough we need vast amounts more mods than they do to police their boards.

    Ultimately, our mod strategy isn't working. I know why people feel they need this control over the mods and the voting, but rombus and Samedhi were 9 years ago, we need to move on and come up with a solution that works. This one doesn't.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •