Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 330

Thread: What exactly is a hostile environment?

  1. #121
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,748

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninetoes
    Has the boards activity gone down? Of course it has. Is it because of the admin and mods? Not really no. What has happened is we have aged (Even you Apallo). We have families, children, other activities that allow us less time to spend on the board. Is Graffes dying? Not even remotely.
    I sense an unstated assumption here that the only activity Graffe will ever see is from the original crew that has always been here. If people prefer this to remain a closed community, that's true. If we want the community to grow and activity to increase, we need to consider changes. I'm not sure what people want, though.

    You only have to go to the FoH forums to see a community that is thriving. The old members (and they are just as old as us here) are still active, and new members join.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas
    Don't read the threads on Politics then.

    Wow. That was such a difficult problem to solve.
    The problem is dwindling activity. You don't solve that by telling people to stop being active.

  2. #122
    Lord Inquisitor Lenin
    Eamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27,799

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    The problem with conservatives at Graffe's isn't that the mean liberals keep shouting them down. It's that conservatives at Graffe's have adopted stances that are impossible to defend using rational argumentation, and so they keep losing arguments.

    That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, since that's what conservatives have been doing nationwide ever since Obama won the election. And modding homophobia has absolutely nothing to do with it.

  3. #123
    Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog
    Ninetoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24,268

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mherim View Post
    I sense an unstated assumption here that the only activity Graffe will ever see is from the original crew that has always been here. If people prefer this to remain a closed community, that's true. If we want the community to grow and activity to increase, we need to consider changes. I'm not sure what people want, though.

    You only have to go to the FoH forums to see a community that is thriving. The old members (and they are just as old as us here) are still active, and new members join.
    What you sense was me throwing out a bullshit guess as valid (if not more so) as any given here. However what will not help grow this community is the freedom to shout nigger,spic, kike, faggot, et al.

    "With your shield, or on it"

  4. #124
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,125

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas View Post
    Don't read the threads on Politics then.

    Wow. That was such a difficult problem to solve.

    Option #2: Don't say batshit insane nonsense that you can't defend. You and Torcer often trapped yourselves in corners when it came to political arguments. That's not you getting shouted down, that's you losing a debate.
    All the proof I need is in the union threads. It's about deeply rooted beliefs, and you aren't willing to change yours, I'm not willing to change mine. If you so choose to ignore any basis that we give for our arguments, as has been done since the beginning of Graffe (On both sides of the aisle mind you), then the ones that eventually "win", are the mob.

  5. #125
    Lord Inquisitor Lenin
    Eamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27,799

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    The mob at Graffe's isn't legislating its political beliefs. You're complaining because you're outnumbered. Sorry, there's nothing anyone here can do about that.

  6. #126

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eamin View Post
    The mob at Graffe's isn't legislating its political beliefs. You're complaining because you're outnumbered. Sorry, there's nothing anyone here can do about that.
    He is complaining because no one debates the points they just make ad hominem arguments and report posts they don't like.

  7. #127

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninetoes View Post
    What you sense was me throwing out a bullshit guess as valid (if not more so) as any given here. However what will not help grow this community is the freedom to shout nigger,spic, kike, faggot, et al.
    No, it's soooo much more useful that no one can debate race religion sexual roles politics or pretty much anything else. Yeah good balancing act there.

  8. #128
    Lord Inquisitor Lenin
    Eamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27,799

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    I've had heated discussions about race, religion, and politics on these boards. Don't believe I've ever been censored.

  9. #129
    Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Silverblade-T-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    19,763
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Ninetoes
    you missed out "sheep shagger" and "Haggis humper"! :P

    Eamin
    yeah, as I've often said, "Conservative (and sane)" and "Republican", parted ways many years ago

    oh, and it's the extremist, non-standard branch of Mormonism that folk put the boot into, forget that bunch's name, kind of the Wahhabist/Evanglicals of that faith as it were: full out fanatic freaks

  10. #130
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mherim View Post
    You only have to go to the FoH forums to see a community that is thriving. The old members (and they are just as old as us here) are still active, and new members join.
    Last time I was there they were one step from 4chan.

    The problem is dwindling activity. You don't solve that by telling people to stop being active.
    If you can't defend your point then don't. But stepping in with idiocy then crying like a baby when you CAN'T defend it is no one's fault but your own.

    So either step up your game or leave the sand box.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  11. #131
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ialnyien View Post
    All the proof I need is in the union threads. It's about deeply rooted beliefs, and you aren't willing to change yours, I'm not willing to change mine. If you so choose to ignore any basis that we give for our arguments, as has been done since the beginning of Graffe (On both sides of the aisle mind you), then the ones that eventually "win", are the mob.
    Great example of a thread. I minimally participated because I had little to say.

    Great example of what YOU should try instead of weak easily defeated arguments.

    By the way, Unions aren't a Dem vs. Repub thing, but I can see why you'd want it to be.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  12. #132
    Chair warmer, Sector 7G
    Alikat Astrae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelon View Post
    I think what you are trying to convey is that those who remain on this board find that it's more pleasant when it's just one big sounding board where everyone is saying the same thing. That's perfectly fine - just don't try to pretend like you actually welcome divergent views, and don't insult my intelligence by posting rules that we all know are irrelevant because moderators won't consistently enforce them.
    Uh, no, it's the thinly-coded gay-bashing and the Mod-baiting, not his opinions on jack or shit. How the hell are our views going to be challenged in any significant way by allowing someone to post blatant bigotry against a persecuted minority without challenge even though we have a ruleset that we actually voted on that says such shit is moderated?

    I think that you're just unhappy with being on the losing side of THAT vote, and will keep hammering away at everything as if it was that same tired old nail. Dmitry is just a tool for you to use to hassle the Mods YET AGAIN on the same tired theme. Don't insult our intelligence with this crap.

  13. #133
    Entropy happens
    Zarbonius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,621

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    No, it's soooo much more useful that no one can debate race religion sexual roles politics or pretty much anything else. Yeah good balancing act there.
    You know, it's kind of odd that you keep saying nobody can discuss certain topics without getting reported, etc. This flies directly in the face of what I've experienced here.

    Case in point: The Proposition 8 (Modern Mccarthyism) thread - I think I probably pissed off most of the gay posters on the board (and a number of straight ones) in that thread. I don't know if any of my posts were reported, but I received zero messages from any of the mods about it.

  14. #134

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas View Post

    By the way, Unions aren't a Dem vs. Repub thing, but I can see why you'd want it to be.
    Typical liberals ignoring what is perfectly clear from recent history.

  15. #135
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,748

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas View Post
    Last time I was there they were one step from 4chan.
    FoH? Hardly.

  16. #136

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mherim View Post
    FoH? Hardly.
    Any forum with vigorous debate is automatically "wahh wahhh just like 4chan" to the bobbleheaded liberals here.

  17. #137

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarbonius View Post
    You know, it's kind of odd that you keep saying nobody can discuss certain topics without getting reported, etc. This flies directly in the face of what I've experienced here.

    Case in point: The Proposition 8 (Modern Mccarthyism) thread - I think I probably pissed off most of the gay posters on the board (and a number of straight ones) in that thread. I don't know if any of my posts were reported, but I received zero messages from any of the mods about it.

    What is interesting in that thread is this:

    Whatever. Mormons can defend themselves. I’m increasingly irritated by the situational outrage over bigotry at Graffes. I know it’s hard to wrap our minds around, but prejudice isn’t Binary (Yes Bigot/No Bigot). Often, multiple bigotries can co-exist, and its all too often that anger over one form of discrimination helps drive another. Thus do we hate one another.
    That was Torcer 3 years ago. Talk about prescient.

  18. #138
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Typical liberals ignoring what is perfectly clear from recent history.
    Sorta like typical Dmitry resorting to the same tired game every election cycle? Sorta like the same typical Dmitry bitching about liberals instead of looking at his own posting behavior that is the problem, not 'teh libralz'. Sorta like the typical Dmitry ignoring the results time and time again from his homophobic tirades?

    One of us is ignoring recent history alright. Guess who?
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  19. #139
    Chair warmer, Sector 7G
    Alikat Astrae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    "You're all a bunch of liberals"
    "She's a witch!"

    Both conversation starters and stoppers. Both just words made to plug one's own ears against any of that there "Devil talk."

  20. #140
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,125

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas View Post
    Sorta like typical Dmitry resorting to the same tired game every election cycle? Sorta like the same typical Dmitry bitching about liberals instead of looking at his own posting behavior that is the problem, not 'teh libralz'. Sorta like the typical Dmitry ignoring the results time and time again from his homophobic tirades?

    One of us is ignoring recent history alright. Guess who?
    So are you saying Dmitry called you right on it? I mean you certainly are not defending yourself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •