Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What exactly is a hostile environment?

Elder Arcanist

Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetoes
    Has the boards activity gone down? Of course it has. Is it because of the admin and mods? Not really no. What has happened is we have aged (Even you Apallo). We have families, children, other activities that allow us less time to spend on the board. Is Graffes dying? Not even remotely.
    I sense an unstated assumption here that the only activity Graffe will ever see is from the original crew that has always been here. If people prefer this to remain a closed community, that's true. If we want the community to grow and activity to increase, we need to consider changes. I'm not sure what people want, though.

You only have to go to the FoH forums to see a community that is thriving. The old members (and they are just as old as us here) are still active, and new members join.

Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas
    Don't read the threads on Politics then.

Wow. That was such a difficult problem to solve.
    The problem is dwindling activity. You don't solve that by telling people to stop being active.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

The problem with conservatives at Graffe's isn't that the mean liberals keep shouting them down. It's that conservatives at Graffe's have adopted stances that are impossible to defend using rational argumentation, and so they keep losing arguments.

That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, since that's what conservatives have been doing nationwide ever since Obama won the election. And modding homophobia has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Mherim View Post
    I sense an unstated assumption here that the only activity Graffe will ever see is from the original crew that has always been here. If people prefer this to remain a closed community, that's true. If we want the community to grow and activity to increase, we need to consider changes. I'm not sure what people want, though.

You only have to go to the FoH forums to see a community that is thriving. The old members (and they are just as old as us here) are still active, and new members join.
    What you sense was me throwing out a bullshit guess as valid (if not more so) as any given here. However what will not help grow this community is the freedom to shout nigger,spic, kike, faggot, et al.

"With your shield, or on it"

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas View Post
    Don't read the threads on Politics then.

Wow. That was such a difficult problem to solve.

Option #2: Don't say batshit insane nonsense that you can't defend. You and Torcer often trapped yourselves in corners when it came to political arguments. That's not you getting shouted down, that's you losing a debate.
    All the proof I need is in the union threads. It's about deeply rooted beliefs, and you aren't willing to change yours, I'm not willing to change mine. If you so choose to ignore any basis that we give for our arguments, as has been done since the beginning of Graffe (On both sides of the aisle mind you), then the ones that eventually "win", are the mob.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

The mob at Graffe's isn't legislating its political beliefs. You're complaining because you're outnumbered. Sorry, there's nothing anyone here can do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamin View Post
    The mob at Graffe's isn't legislating its political beliefs. You're complaining because you're outnumbered. Sorry, there's nothing anyone here can do about that.
    He is complaining because no one debates the points they just make ad hominem arguments and report posts they don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetoes View Post
    What you sense was me throwing out a bullshit guess as valid (if not more so) as any given here. However what will not help grow this community is the freedom to shout nigger,spic, kike, faggot, et al.
    No, it's soooo much more useful that no one can debate race religion sexual roles politics or pretty much anything else. Yeah good balancing act there.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

I've had heated discussions about race, religion, and politics on these boards. Don't believe I've ever been censored.

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Ninetoes
    you missed out "sheep shagger" and "Haggis humper"! :P

Eamin
    yeah, as I've often said, "Conservative (and sane)" and "Republican", parted ways many years ago

oh, and it's the extremist, non-standard branch of Mormonism that folk put the boot into, forget that bunch's name, kind of the Wahhabist/Evanglicals of that faith as it were: full out fanatic freaks

PROOF PROOF!

Last time I was there they were one step from 4chan.

The problem is dwindling activity. You don't solve that by telling people to stop being active.
    If you can't defend your point then don't. But stepping in with idiocy then crying like a baby when you CAN'T defend it is no one's fault but your own.

So either step up your game or leave the sand box.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

~me

PROOF PROOF!

Quote Originally Posted by Ialnyien View Post
    All the proof I need is in the union threads. It's about deeply rooted beliefs, and you aren't willing to change yours, I'm not willing to change mine. If you so choose to ignore any basis that we give for our arguments, as has been done since the beginning of Graffe (On both sides of the aisle mind you), then the ones that eventually "win", are the mob.
    Great example of a thread. I minimally participated because I had little to say.

Great example of what YOU should try instead of weak easily defeated arguments.

By the way, Unions aren't a Dem vs. Repub thing, but I can see why you'd want it to be.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

~me

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelon View Post
    I think what you are trying to convey is that those who remain on this board find that it's more pleasant when it's just one big sounding board where everyone is saying the same thing. That's perfectly fine - just don't try to pretend like you actually welcome divergent views, and don't insult my intelligence by posting rules that we all know are irrelevant because moderators won't consistently enforce them.
    Uh, no, it's the thinly-coded gay-bashing and the Mod-baiting, not his opinions on jack or shit. How the hell are our views going to be challenged in any significant way by allowing someone to post blatant bigotry against a persecuted minority without challenge even though we have a ruleset that we actually voted on that says such shit is moderated?

I think that you're just unhappy with being on the losing side of THAT vote, and will keep hammering away at everything as if it was that same tired old nail. Dmitry is just a tool for you to use to hassle the Mods YET AGAIN on the same tired theme. Don't insult our intelligence with this crap.

Entropy happens

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    No, it's soooo much more useful that no one can debate race religion sexual roles politics or pretty much anything else. Yeah good balancing act there.
    You know, it's kind of odd that you keep saying nobody can discuss certain topics without getting reported, etc. This flies directly in the face of what I've experienced here.

Case in point: The Proposition 8 (Modern Mccarthyism) thread - I think I probably pissed off most of the gay posters on the board (and a number of straight ones) in that thread. I don't know if any of my posts were reported, but I received zero messages from any of the mods about it.

By the way, Unions aren't a Dem vs. Repub thing, but I can see why you'd want it to be.
    Typical liberals ignoring what is perfectly clear from recent history.

Elder Arcanist

Last time I was there they were one step from 4chan.
    FoH? Hardly.

FoH? Hardly.
    Any forum with vigorous debate is automatically "wahh wahhh just like 4chan" to the bobbleheaded liberals here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarbonius View Post
    You know, it's kind of odd that you keep saying nobody can discuss certain topics without getting reported, etc. This flies directly in the face of what I've experienced here.

Case in point: The Proposition 8 (Modern Mccarthyism) thread - I think I probably pissed off most of the gay posters on the board (and a number of straight ones) in that thread. I don't know if any of my posts were reported, but I received zero messages from any of the mods about it.

What is interesting in that thread is this:

Whatever. Mormons can defend themselves. I’m increasingly irritated by the situational outrage over bigotry at Graffes. I know it’s hard to wrap our minds around, but prejudice isn’t Binary (Yes Bigot/No Bigot). Often, multiple bigotries can co-exist, and its all too often that anger over one form of discrimination helps drive another. Thus do we hate one another.
    That was Torcer 3 years ago. Talk about prescient.

PROOF PROOF!

Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Typical liberals ignoring what is perfectly clear from recent history.
    Sorta like typical Dmitry resorting to the same tired game every election cycle? Sorta like the same typical Dmitry bitching about liberals instead of looking at his own posting behavior that is the problem, not 'teh libralz'. Sorta like the typical Dmitry ignoring the results time and time again from his homophobic tirades?

One of us is ignoring recent history alright. Guess who?

~me

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

"You're all a bunch of liberals"
    "She's a witch!"

Both conversation starters and stoppers. Both just words made to plug one's own ears against any of that there "Devil talk."

Elder Arcanist

Sorta like typical Dmitry resorting to the same tired game every election cycle? Sorta like the same typical Dmitry bitching about liberals instead of looking at his own posting behavior that is the problem, not 'teh libralz'. Sorta like the typical Dmitry ignoring the results time and time again from his homophobic tirades?

One of us is ignoring recent history alright. Guess who?
    So are you saying Dmitry called you right on it? I mean you certainly are not defending yourself.