Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 330

Thread: What exactly is a hostile environment?

  1. #21
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gidizlo View Post
    To be clear, I am stating I disagree with the admin decision in this case.

    Are we wanting to set the precedent that Dmitry cannot discuss homosexuality at all?
    Oh please. Are you serious? Where have you been that you've missed Dmitry picking on gay people for over a year?

    As for the reason Torcer isn't here any longer, well he became a troll of the former poster that he was. Somewhere between 'everyone hates Jews' and 'Liberals ate my dingo' he just lost his friggin mind.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  2. #22
    Elder Arcanist
    Cilumbik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,685
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    Torcer doesn't post here because you're a bully who drove him off?
    Torcer was attacked constantly - in any thread he posted in. Graffe's admin was one of the main culprits. What was done to curtail that hostile environment?

  3. #23
    Mr. Angsty Spice
    Melcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,823

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Torcer was attacked constantly
    By Dmitry?
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

  4. #24
    Check the
    Track Record
    Grindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    39,067
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilumbik View Post
    Torcer was attacked constantly - in any thread he posted in. Graffe's admin was one of the main culprits. What was done to curtail that hostile environment?
    I got reported by someone, a mod admonished me, and I stopped, the way the rules are set up. But nobody posted threads specifically to attack him, and in fact there weren't very many threads about the Israeli government to begin with; it's perception. In fact I imagine I posted more threads against Hamas or the Palestinians than most other posters around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    LOL you have rules. Follow them.
    Absolutely.

  5. #25
    Lord Inquisitor Lenin
    Eamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27,799

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Faygoat was created to show that you people are just projecting meaning onto words that don't inherently possess those meanings.
    Words do not inherently possess meanings.

  6. #26
    Forum Arcanist

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    995

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas View Post
    Oh please. Are you serious? Where have you been that you've missed Dmitry picking on gay people for over a year?
    Yes, I am serious. I think we are setting the precedent that Dmitry (and Dmitry alone) has a topic that is entirely verboten for him to discuss.

    I don't see how the poster overrides the content in this case. The thread title was neutral and factual, and the article itself was on an area that should be of concern to the homsexual community; that is, exploring WTF Android Marketplace was thinking by placing a sex offender search app as a "related" or "suggested" and/or "if you like this item, you may also like this app" suggestion.

    I think it is a big stretch to read "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, nod, nod" and juvenile giggling into Dmitry's posting of this Atlantic article.

  7. #27
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gidizlo View Post
    Yes, I am serious. I think we are setting the precedent that Dmitry (and Dmitry alone) has a topic that is entirely verboten for him to discuss.

    I don't see how the poster overrides the content in this case. The thread title was neutral and factual, and the article itself was on an area that should be of concern to the homsexual community; that is, exploring WTF Android Marketplace was thinking by placing a sex offender search app as a "related" or "suggested" and/or "if you like this item, you may also like this app" suggestion.

    I think it is a big stretch to read "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, nod, nod" and juvenile giggling into Dmitry's posting of this Atlantic article.
    I completely disagree, so much to that I also reported the thread (though I assume someone reported it before me). He's intentionally trying to create a negative atmosphere for gay readers and posters. General is a pretty diverse forum, but his posts have been singular in nature as of late. If you don't see what he's doing it's because you're intentionally trying to play Devil's Advocate.

    I just don't find his game funny.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  8. #28
    Ancient Arcanist
    Lunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    26,444
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Hostile environment.

    Graffes? Not sure there has ever been a time when we were all lubby dubby to each other without any hostility.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

  9. #29
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    silverblaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6,544

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    If your point of these posts were to discuss why the forum seems to have a hard on about protecting gays, then post that as a question rather than trying to be witty about it Dmitry. No one would be offended by that subject or title if it were discussed like a normal topic. By trying to inject humor, which not everyone understood, you compounded the problem.

    Go make a post with

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry
    Here, I am directly telling you all... I am not homophobic. I just play one so that you dumbasses can think for one tiny second about how hypocritical and biased your position on the use of language is.

  10. #30
    Forum Arcanist

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    995

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    All right, I will correct myself. The thread title was slanted it can be argued by using the term pedophile as opposed to sex offender.

    Seeing as pedophiles are a subset of sex offenders, I can see where my mind glossed it over originally. And D does have a past history of trying to piss off the community by abusing that stereotype of gays as pedophiles. All the same, I don't see where a threadlock was warranted - a title edit should have sufficed.

  11. #31
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,152

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    I don't even understand the logic thrown out here. Because this was a hostile place for Torcer (assuming this is true) it should be made a hostile place for others to prove some sort of point?

  12. #32
    Check the
    Track Record
    Grindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    39,067
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gidizlo View Post
    All the same, I don't see where a threadlock was warranted - a title edit should have sufficed.
    This is a fair question. It would have probably have received a thread title change if it was not the very first new thread posted after he had been banned for yet another week for using homophobic slurs.

    The past exists, we can't pretend it doesn't and it's silly to try. If you got banned for attacking gays and your first post back was fay goats we all know what you meant. ANYBODY knows what you meant. If you got banned and your first post back was "Here are a couple of faggots" we all know what you meant. ANYBODY knows what you meant. In this sort of situation I use what dmitry knows as the prudent man principle - a prudent man is going to know exactly what Dmitry's references are to; they're not to happy goats or bundles of wood, they're to gays.

    And the other preposterous suggestion is that the board has some sort of "hard-on for gays". No, this comes up specifically because Dmitry is inserting his nonsense on that vector. If he'd chosen Poles or Catholics or women instead then he'd be arguing that the board has some sort of "hard-on" for those groups. It's a pretty standard rhetorical trap.

  13. #33
    PROOF PROOF!
    Apallohadas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,209

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Silver, I think that Graffe's just has a more vocal community when it comes to gender issues. I typically am one of the defenders, but that didn't stop Zedd from going all Rambo when he refused to actually read what I was saying.
    Every married man is wrong. We just wait for the wife to tell us when, where, and about what.

    ~me

  14. #34
    Elder Arcanist
    Cilumbik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,685
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grindel View Post
    I got reported by someone, a mod admonished me, and I stopped, the way the rules are set up. But nobody posted threads specifically to attack him, and in fact there weren't very many threads about the Israeli government to begin with; it's perception. In fact I imagine I posted more threads against Hamas or the Palestinians than most other posters around here.
    There weren't tons of threads specifically about Israel. People would just involve Israel and Torcer in a number of threads no matter what the subject was. He would be followed from thread to thread. Sometimes he wouldn't even have to post in a thread before Israel and his name was brought up.

    Hostile environment? More like a hypocritical environment.

  15. #35
    Chair warmer, Sector 7G
    Alikat Astrae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilumbik View Post
    Torcer was attacked constantly - in any thread he posted in. Graffe's admin was one of the main culprits. What was done to curtail that hostile environment?
    Torcer left because he was a big fat wuss who liked to start fights and then whine like a bitch when his nose got bloodied. He flipped his shit in 2008 when it became clear that Obama was going to beat McCain. He just couldn't stand the fact that the political tide was turning and that a lot of Graffe's people had jumped party lines and voted for Obama. He accused the entire board of being a liberal conspiracy. Which is laughable considering that we have people like you and Inalynien and Lunal here.

    I'm sure he's as happy as a pig in shit over at FreeRepublicOnline or some such.

  16. #36
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,256

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilumbik View Post
    There weren't tons of threads specifically about Israel. People would just involve Israel and Torcer in a number of threads no matter what the subject was. He would be followed from thread to thread. Sometimes he wouldn't even have to post in a thread before Israel and his name was brought up.

    Hostile environment? More like a hypocritical environment.
    While I actually agree with you I don't think you have a very strong point. Most importantly Torcer had stopped even trying to post seriously before Grindel came into power here. Secondly, two wrongs do not make a right. We should have cracked down on the Torcer trolling rather than let Dmitry have free reign.

  17. #37
    Ancient Arcanist
    Lunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    26,444
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    6) Be Civil: While vehement disagreement is part of the tradition of Graffes and is strongly encouraged, posts should conform to a minimal level of common decency. This is a constraint on form and not content.

    We encourage a hostile environment, or at least acknowledge it in our ruleset. I helped to write this stuff, that was part of the intent. Not hostile environment that steps on minorities, however, right?

    4) No express Racism, Anti-Semitism or Homophobia. This rule shall not be construed to prohibit legitimate discussion of controversial issues such as Affirmative Action, the Israel and Palestine Issue, or Same Sex Marriage.

    That and porn are the two exceptions. Otherwise its "let the hostile times roll!" Personally I would not say that a post whose substance is an atlantic article discussing the topic isn't hateful. But I can understand the automatic reaction to a post by Dmitry that seems to link gays and pedos.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

  18. #38
    Passes Turing Test
    Voca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,333

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    I don't even understand the logic thrown out here. Because this was a hostile place for Torcer (assuming this is true) it should be made a hostile place for others to prove some sort of point?
    This! Having a goal which one sometimes meets but sometimes fails at does not make one a hypocrite. It just makes one human.
    "Computer science is a continuation of logic by other means" -- Georg Gottlob

    www.Neutrality.ca

  19. #39
    Check the
    Track Record
    Grindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    39,067
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilumbik View Post
    There weren't tons of threads specifically about Israel. People would just involve Israel and Torcer in a number of threads no matter what the subject was.
    This did happen and I hated to see it when it happened, but it didn't involve me and it didn't get reported. I hate to see when it happens to other people these days, but it often doesn't get reported. If it does, the mod team reacts. So no report, not me, not much I can do except ask people to be more fair (which I have done in private, and even when I was not a mod or admin).

  20. #40
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    silverblaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6,544

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apallohadas View Post
    Silver, I think that Graffe's just has a more vocal community when it comes to gender issues. I typically am one of the defenders, but that didn't stop Zedd from going all Rambo when he refused to actually read what I was saying.
    I totally get that. I think Dmitry is right in principle. We shouldn't be protecting one group over the other just because of words. I certainly don't bitch about every post Ackar has been making recently that links Muslims to terrorists at every possible radical action. I think Dmitry, or anyone who cares about the issue of why we're overly protective of certain groups, needs to make a well thought out post ont he subject rather than a stupid picture trying to be witty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •