Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 330

Thread: What exactly is a hostile environment?

  1. #1

    What exactly is a hostile environment?

    LOL one of my favorite namby pamby liberal bullshit phrases.

    So, linking an "Atlantic" article is creating an hostile environment? Really?

    Or do we only discuss what you want to discuss now?

  2. #2
    Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog
    Ninetoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24,267

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Moved to the appropriate forum for this discussion. Please keep in mind that this forum has a higher standard for civility.

    "With your shield, or on it"

  3. #3
    Elder Arcanist
    Cilumbik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,685
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Must be a new rule, because people use to make threads about Israel just to be hostile towards Torcer.

  4. #4
    Check the
    Track Record
    Grindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    39,067
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    A hostile environment, I know it when I see it. When someone is banned for a week then banned for another week for homophobic phrases and then returns and makes yet another post about gays and pedophiles, when that person has a very, very lousy history of linking gays and pedophiles, that person is purposefully creating an environment that drives posters away. You simply do not have the built-up goodwill to go down that road.

    If your purpose is to skirt the rules to try to drive posters away you will be banned, using our rule set. If your purpose is to alter the rule set to prevent posters from being driven away then use the process we have in place to change the rule set.

  5. #5

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Of course you do.... you should just make up all the new rules you want. LOL I am going to post what I want and you do what you want. Same as always. No sense in following rules.

    ALso, I am so glad you read minds and understand my motivation. God forbid you add "think about the hypocrisy of your position."
    Last edited by DmitrytheWizzy; April 15th, 2011 at 01:42 PM.

  6. #6
    Mr. Angsty Spice
    Melcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,823

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    The boy who called wolf was no longer believed by the time the wolf actually came.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry
    What exactly is a hostile environment?
    well the legal definition seems to be:
    A work or learning environment is "hostile" when unwelcome verbal, non-verbal, or physical behavior of a prohibited nature is severe and pervasive enough to unreasonably interfere with an employee's work or a student's learning, or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment to a "reasonable person." The hostile environment standard focuses on the "poisoning" of a work or learning environment rather than on tangible actions directed against a person. To constitute hostile environment harassment, the prohibited behaviors must be offensive to a "reasonable person." An employer, teacher, co-worker, vendor, or fellow student can create a hostile environment.
    Now obviously we are not a Work or learning environment - we're a social club.


    My first reaction when I saw your thread title was -- great, here we go again...

    Unfortunately in this case, it's actually a good topic. Unfortunate, because YOUR HISTORY of gay bashing, and disruption colors perceptions. What is harassment? Well, My HR people tell me Harassment is conduct perceived by the target and or an Observer to be harassing.


    Now as to why a news organization can do it and you can't...


    Well, I would have to say because the News organization doesn't have a history of posting "faygoats" in an attempt to stir the shit.



    --
    Android Marketplace Links Apps for Pedophiles and Gay
    Curious Connection Between Apps for Gay Men and Sex Offenders
    --
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

  7. #7
    Buckeye Wizard
    Nerkahia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,322

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    lol dude, seriously? What are you trying to do, set a new land speed record for how quickly you can achieve banned status? Elections are over; give it a rest. Some of your posts can be thought provoking ~
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

    "Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

  8. #8

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    So let it provoke your thoughts. I have never once bashed gays. I think you all are so fucking sensitive about gays that you go too far to protect them. You refuse to afford the same protections to anyone else. You are now reading into my motivation for posting threads that are facially positive toward gays. You are now reading into reposting interesting topical articles merely because they say "gay" in them.

    This is NOT what Graffe's should b,.

  9. #9

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    The boy who called wolf was no longer believed by the time the wolf actually came.



    well the legal definition seems to be:


    Now obviously we are not a Work or learning environment - we're a social club.


    My first reaction when I saw your thread title was -- great, here we go again...

    Unfortunately in this case, it's actually a good topic. Unfortunate, because YOUR HISTORY of gay bashing, and disruption colors perceptions. What is harassment? Well, My HR people tell me Harassment is conduct perceived by the target and or an Observer to be harassing.


    Now as to why a news organization can do it and you can't...


    Well, I would have to say because the News organization doesn't have a history of posting "faygoats" in an attempt to stir the shit.



    --
    Android Marketplace Links Apps for Pedophiles and Gay
    Curious Connection Between Apps for Gay Men and Sex Offenders
    --
    Really? Offensive to a reasonable person? I'll take that any day. Call me when reposting an article from the Atlantic is offensive to a reasonable person.

    Hoisted on your own petard.

  10. #10
    Mr. Angsty Spice
    Melcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,823

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Really? Offensive to a reasonable person
    With your history of "Faygoats" yes.

    Hoisted on your own petard.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

  11. #11

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    With your history of "Faygoats" yes.

    Oh please... my "history" with Faygoats is exactly the same thing. Showing how stupid and hypocritical you people are. Stupid as in Dumb as in unable to think clearly.

    Faygoat was created to show that you people are just projecting meaning onto words that don't inherently possess those meanings.

    It could easily have been Maypoat or Layroate. I just couldn't find funny pictures of those. I really shouldn't have to explain all this.

    It's just that recently some idiots have been hiding behind the old " I don't even know why he does it" bullshit. That is called playing mickey the dunce.

    Here, I am directly telling you all... I am not homophobic. I just play one so that you dumbasses can think for one tiny second about how hypocritical and biased your position on the use of language is.
    Last edited by DmitrytheWizzy; April 15th, 2011 at 02:04 PM.

  12. #12
    Forum Arcanist

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    995

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    I'll preface by saying I didn't read the entire Atlantic article he linked discussing Android Marketplace's strange linkage of apps for homosexual men and a sex offender search app, nor that closely, but the article did strike me as written by a gay man questioning the above circumstance in an intelligent and positive manner.

    I am not sure other than D's "history" why it rates being locked down.

  13. #13
    Forum Arcanist

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    995

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    To be clear, I am stating I disagree with the admin decision in this case.

    Are we wanting to set the precedent that Dmitry cannot discuss homosexuality at all?

  14. #14
    Mr. Angsty Spice
    Melcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,823

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    I am not sure other than D's "history" why it rates being locked down.
    It doesn't other then D's history.



    Oh please... my "history" with Faygoats is exactly the same thing. Showing how stupid and hypocritical you people are. Stupid as in Dumb as in unable to think clearly.
    Right exactly, Your history with Faygoats is stirring the pot - thinking your proving a point, over and over and over again...

    Which got you banned... and suspended. and banned, and suspend...


    How many times exactly have you been banned and or suspended on these forums since 2000?
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

  15. #15
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,152

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    So let it provoke your thoughts. I have never once bashed gays. I think you all are so fucking sensitive about gays that you go too far to protect them. You refuse to afford the same protections to anyone else. You are now reading into my motivation for posting threads that are facially positive toward gays. You are now reading into reposting interesting topical articles merely because they say "gay" in them.

    This is NOT what Graffe's should b,.
    If other classes are not protected as well as gay people why don't you target them and then when there are no repercussions for your actions you can say "SEE! You hypocrites, you defend gay people but not [insert minority here]!". The problem is your perception of the board is not reality and there are other minorities that if you targeted you would not be dealt with as leniently as you are now.

    You're a bully who targets people who are NOT defended very well.

  16. #16
    Check the
    Track Record
    Grindel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    39,067
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    I don't much care about motivations, I cannot fathom them. What I do care about is graffes being a place where everyone can't feel welcome because of the actions of one person.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gidizlo View Post
    To be clear, I am stating I disagree with the admin decision in this case.

    Are we wanting to set the precedent that Dmitry cannot discuss homosexuality at all?
    Nobody's keeping Dmitry from having a grown-up conversation about homosexuality. Posting an aw-shucks wink-nod thread headline without any substance is not Dmitry having a grown-up conversation about homosexuality, it's him tilting at windmills.

  17. #17

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    If other classes are not protected as well as gay people why don't you target them and then when there are no repercussions for your actions you can say "SEE! You hypocrites, you defend gay people but not [insert minority here]!". The problem is your perception of the board is not reality and there are other minorities that if you targeted you would not be dealt with as leniently as you are now.

    You're a bully who targets people who are NOT defended very well.
    We did. Torcer doesn't post here any more because of this.

  18. #18

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grindel View Post
    I don't much care about motivations, I cannot fathom them. What I do care about is graffes being a place where everyone can't feel welcome because of the actions of one person.


    Nobody's keeping Dmitry from having a grown-up conversation about homosexuality. Posting an aw-shucks wink-nod thread headline without any substance is not Dmitry having a grown-up conversation about homosexuality, it's him tilting at windmills.
    SO as soon as someone is offended, no matter how unreasonably you are just going to take action? You take action without regard to rules?

    LOL you have rules. Follow them.

  19. #19
    Mr. Angsty Spice
    Melcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,823

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    We did. Torcer doesn't post here any more because of this.
    Torcer doesn't post here because you're a bully who drove him off?
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

  20. #20
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7,152

    Re: What exactly is a hostile environment?

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    SO as soon as someone is offended, no matter how unreasonably you are just going to take action? You take action without regard to rules?

    LOL you have rules. Follow them.
    How is it unreasonable for someone to be offended by you when your stated goal is to try and offend people?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •