Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

Its 45 days. Drastically less than what I suggested in the report forum for Grindel, but I figured a decent starting point to curtail further bumps.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gentex View Post
    Why is a universal decision to arbitrarily lock threads better than dealing with one disruptive poster?
    Technically they're not locked, you just can't post in them.

Gnome of Doom

It was enacted because a user wanted to attempt to make a point and did so in a poor fashion.
    So the best way to handle the situation was to enact a rule only one person wanted instead of dealing with the singular poster causing the issue. Makes perfect sense.

Elder Arcanist

To note I have asked Nadiar to remove the blanket ban - I understand why he did it as a temporary change to look at the situation, but after looking through hings do not feel it is the best way forward for this issue. Discussing things is the core of Graffes, and removing the functionality to do so for all posters because of a couple of necro'ed threads which were, (at worse), a minor irritation for the mod team is not in the long term a viable option. There's clearly no enthusiasm for a rule around this currently.

Ancient Arcanist
    Blog Entries

Thank you Mal. I think your read of the situation is correct.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Azamien View Post
    So the best way to handle the situation was to enact a rule only one person wanted instead of dealing with the singular poster causing the issue. Makes perfect sense.
    No rule was made. Nadiar took action on something.

"With your shield, or on it"

Elder Arcanist
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    I would like to take this time to point something out. If Cil was a new user and had bumped those two old threads, we'd have many more reports then we did already (Yes, he was reported for his actions, that's why we took action) suggesting that he is a bot or a spammer getting his post count up. We would then check his IP address against a list of known IPs that spammers use and take action accordingly. For a while this happened every single time we had a post from a new user. Even now when we get a new user I check the IP to see where it's coming from.

I would also like to point out that this action was taken in direct response to what Cil was doing, if you are not happy with what we did then you should not be happy with Cil. Discuss what we did all you want, in fact I encourage and expect discussion, but please remember that this isn't a new policy because we wanted to troll the forum. It was enacted because a user wanted to attempt to make a point and did so in a poor fashion.
    I didn't force you to do anything, Mdar. Bumping a old thread does almost nothing to the forum other than perhaps start up a old discussion and confuse Melcar. Pretty hilarious how serious some people take this forum. Either way none of this really bothers me, I don't mind name calling or being the cause of a non-existent problem. So as you were.

Gnome of Doom

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetoes View Post
    No rule was made. Nadiar took action on something.
    No need to play the semantics game. You knew what I meant.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azamien View Post
    It isn't a rule. Its a temporary lock so people stop trying to force the issue (and by proxy of forcing the issue end up creating the rule). We're presumably all adults here, and should be able to discuss the benefits and drawbacks to a change. I'm sure you can handle the brief timeout on bumping threads so that Grindel can review it.

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    Its 45 days. Drastically less than what I suggested in the report forum for Grindel, but I figured a decent starting point to curtail further bumps.
    And if Chess comes back then the Limericks thread is locked, damnit.

The World is a Mess
    And I Just Need to Rule It

Quote Originally Posted by Alikat Astrae View Post
    And if Chess comes back then the Limericks thread is locked, damnit.
    If she came back and the Limericks thread was locked she'd simply make a new thread with a limerick about how shitty it is that the old thread was locked. And I'd be happy she did so!
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Elder Arcanist

At least Melcar is continually trying to help the forum. I may not agree with his proposal but I'm not gonna go "nyah nyah nyah" at him. /shrug

Elder Arcanist
    Blog Entries

Good. Nobody asked you to.

Check the
    Track Record
    Blog Entries

/ex cathedra

OK, byzantine rules nazi time. So far we're correctly following our process, but "da rules" state that we can only change the rules every three months. I can see why that is, and I can also see why we'd maybe want to amend that to mean we can only change the same exact rule once every three months.

But until the charter is changed, this can't be put to a vote until December 29th, since we just changed the mod election process. That'll give us plenty of time to discuss the pros and cons of the issue

Thanks to Nadiar for stepping in to make some temporary adjustments. Those have been rolled back pending discussion, although we will be keeping a seven year cap - this is specifically because if you go far enough back it screws up things like forum titles, quote blocks, and causes other oddities. I would ask that participants display enough maturity not to abuse the system by necroing thread after thread in some attempt to make a point - that's what this forum post is for.

/ex cathedra off

The World is a Mess
    And I Just Need to Rule It

Quote Originally Posted by Grindel View Post
    I would ask that participants display enough maturity not to abuse the system by necroing thread after thread in some attempt to make a point . . . . .
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA /gasp HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurley View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA /gasp HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I will taser you and leave you drooling into the carpet while I watch Super Nanny.

Elder Arcanist

I will taser you and leave you drooling into the carpet while I watch Super Nanny.
    I have no idea what you look like, Nine (well, except you're missing a toe), but when I read this, you were totally a 300 pound, all muscle drill instructor with combat fatigues on.

Check the
    Track Record
    Blog Entries

To me he looked like a slightly bored and underwhelmed SHIELD agent Or, like Axe Cop!

p.s. wow 2 out of 3 ain't bad on the guesses Lay! You only under-shot his weight by about 200 pounds!

Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Grindel View Post
    p.s. wow 2 out of 3 ain't bad on the guesses Lay! You only under-shot his weight by about 200 pounds!
    You will have to forgive my grandfatherly albino friend, he gets confused in his dodderage.

Mr. Angsty Spice

But until the charter is changed, this can't be put to a vote until December 29th, since we just changed the mod election process. That'll give us plenty of time to discuss the pros and cons of the issue
    Doesn't exactly seem necessary to put it to a vote. --

Since nobody else seems in favor, I withdraw the proposal.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.