Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Thread: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

  1. #21
    Elder Arcanist
    Sehra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,741

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    I suppose Grindel could just create a new thread saying "I told you so." to cover all future I-told-you-sos in perpetuity.

    We should probably sticky and lock it, though.

  2. #22
    Mr. Angsty Spice
    Melcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,823

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Great response with the Trolling, and nuisance bumping... keep it up, annoy the rest of the board, and people will start to agree with me - and then we will get this rule.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

  3. #23
    Elder Arcanist
    Danenel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,386
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    +1



    Danenel Plasmaweaver

    Retired 65 Wizard of Eternal Sovereign, Tholuxe Paells

  4. #24
    Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog
    Ninetoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    Great response with the Trolling, and nuisance bumping... keep it up, annoy the rest of the board, and people will start to agree with me - and then we will get this rule.
    /shrug
    Way I figure the necroing is goofy AND your rule change is a solution in search of a problem. But I'm nuanced like that

    "With your shield, or on it"

  5. #25
    Systems Administrator
    Nadiar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Temp change put in place until Grindel has time to review.

  6. #26
    Mr. Angsty Spice
    Melcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,823

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Temp change put in place until Grindel has time to review.
    You are aware of course nobody else seemed to like the idea?
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

  7. #27
    Elder Arcanist
    Cilumbik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,685
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    A stupid idea deserves a equally stupid reaction to annoy the hell out of the person who came up with the stupid idea. Wah wah wah.

  8. #28
    Chair warmer, Sector 7G
    Alikat Astrae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    44,189

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Stupidity doesn't cancel out stupidity, it combines with it and amplifies it. Note Nadiar's "temp change" when literally nobody asked him to? He's obviously been affected by the crossing of the streams of stupid from you and Melcar, Cil.

  9. #29
    Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Mdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,566
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    It's really more of the fact that cil was being a fail-troll and we decided to take away his ability to be a fail-troll. So really, we're heroes here. If we hadn't taken the action we did, we might have been forced to mod like the old days, give him a warning to stop being a dick on our way to ban him for a week.
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

    It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

  10. #30
    Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog
    Ninetoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    So really, we're heroes here.
    Big Damn Heroes

    "With your shield, or on it"

  11. #31
    Elder Arcanist
    Cilumbik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,685
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    It's really more of the fact that cil was being a fail-troll and we decided to take away his ability to be a fail-troll. So really, we're heroes here. If we hadn't taken the action we did, we might have been forced to mod like the old days, give him a warning to stop being a dick on our way to ban him for a week.
    If you two can't be ones in real-life the internet is the next best thing.

  12. #32
    Systems Administrator
    Nadiar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Quote Originally Posted by Alikat Astrae View Post
    Stupidity doesn't cancel out stupidity, it combines with it and amplifies it. Note Nadiar's "temp change" when literally nobody asked him to? He's obviously been affected by the crossing of the streams of stupid from you and Melcar, Cil.
    It was either this or Cil was going to get a warning. Plus, I was already tired of having to explain that Rombus's account wasn't deleted, he was a guest because it was such an old import.

  13. #33
    Forum Arcanist
    Small, But Fierce
    Gentex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,399
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    Temp change put in place until Grindel has time to review.
    WTF does this mean? Sounds like you're making up new rules without authority or need. At the very least you should probably describe whatever "fix" you've decided to implement. I'm with ninetoes, this is a solution looking for a problem.

  14. #34
    Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog
    Ninetoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentex View Post
    WTF does this mean? Sounds like you're making up new rules without authority or need. At the very least you should probably describe whatever "fix" you've decided to implement. I'm with ninetoes, this is a solution looking for a problem.
    That's in reference to Melcar's proposal. Nadiar took action because certain forum posters chose to debate that rule proposal in a non conventional manner.

    "With your shield, or on it"

  15. #35
    Forum Arcanist
    Small, But Fierce
    Gentex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,399
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninetoes View Post
    That's in reference to Melcar's proposal. Nadiar took action because certain forum posters chose to debate that rule proposal in a non conventional manner.
    Right. but what action did he take? I'm starting to feel like I'm missing something obvious.

  16. #36
    PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!
    Daph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,814

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gentex View Post
    Right. but what action did he take? I'm starting to feel like I'm missing something obvious.
    This isn't the first time Nadiar has made an arbitrary decision around here, and I dare say it won't be the last.

  17. #37
    Mr. Angsty Spice
    Melcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,823

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Right. but what action did he take? I'm starting to feel like I'm missing something obvious.
    All old threads are currently auto-locked.

    I assume 6 months, but I really didn't look that hard.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

  18. #38
    Formerly: Mdar
    Follow the Free Man
    Livestock Pimp
    Mdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,566
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gentex View Post
    Right. but what action did he take? I'm starting to feel like I'm missing something obvious.
    Any thread over so many days since the last reply is automatically locked. The limit is such that it shouldn't cause a problem with our normal day to day operations. Yes, i'm being intentionally vague about the time limit. No, it's not permanent and nor will be publicly stating when we remove this feature.


    Quote Originally Posted by Daph View Post
    This isn't the first time Nadiar has made an arbitrary decision around here, and I dare say it won't be the last.
    And how do you know this wasn't discussed before hand? That's because you don't.



    I would like to take this time to point something out. If Cil was a new user and had bumped those two old threads, we'd have many more reports then we did already (Yes, he was reported for his actions, that's why we took action) suggesting that he is a bot or a spammer getting his post count up. We would then check his IP address against a list of known IPs that spammers use and take action accordingly. For a while this happened every single time we had a post from a new user. Even now when we get a new user I check the IP to see where it's coming from.

    I would also like to point out that this action was taken in direct response to what Cil was doing, if you are not happy with what we did then you should not be happy with Cil. Discuss what we did all you want, in fact I encourage and expect discussion, but please remember that this isn't a new policy because we wanted to troll the forum. It was enacted because a user wanted to attempt to make a point and did so in a poor fashion.
    What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

    It is only when the well nears dry do we think to ration supply.

    Quote Originally Posted by DmitrytheWizzy View Post
    Mdar posts less than Graffe.
    After a forum update
    Quelian> Oh god how do I get the forums back into title only listings for posts!? OMG THE UNREADABLE
    nadiar-work> I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU
    Quelian> my job is done here

  19. #39
    Forum Arcanist
    Small, But Fierce
    Gentex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,399
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Why is a universal decision to arbitrarily lock threads better than dealing with one disruptive poster?

  20. #40
    PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!
    Daph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,814

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Quote Originally Posted by Mdar View Post
    And how do you know this wasn't discussed before hand? That's because you don't.
    How difficult would it have been to relay that information, and clarify the action taken?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •