Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

  1. #1
    Mr. Angsty Spice
    Melcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,823

    Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Ok, so my post didn't exactly conform to Voca's instructions, so let's make it official.

    I think we need a rule about Necroing threads, it does nothing but create confusion.



    My proposed rule:

    Threads that are 6 months old are dead, Bumping or Necroing a dead thread results in the thread being locked. If a new topic comes up along a similar vein feel free to start a new thread. Repeated thread necroing for the purpose of disrupting the boards should result in warnings/suspension of accounts as appropriate.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

  2. #2
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,232

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    I disagree. It's a forum software problem, not a social problem.

    Old threads are sometimes the most appropriate place for a post, especially when there's a resolution to an old news event or the like, and even when an old thread isn't the most appropriate place to post something your rule doesn't save people from wasting time rereading old posts.

    What we need is to convince vBulletin to clearly label old posts.

  3. #3
    Mr. Angsty Spice
    Melcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,823

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Old threads are sometimes the most appropriate place for a post
    What needs to be said in an Old thread that couldn't be said in a new thread with a link to the old?


    -- because what does happen is OK, new article posted in old thread; and People jump back into the argument from 6 months ago - this serves no purpose to the board.

    your rule doesn't save people from wasting time rereading old posts.
    You misunderstand the purpose -- the rule does not attempt to save people from rereading old posts -- The purpose of the rule is to prevent arguments from continuing where they left off 6 months ago.
    People can READ old threads all they want -- bringing that thread back to the front page of the boards is what I oppose.

    and if there is New information, to an old story, wouldn't it better serve to create a new thread, with a link to the old?

    This keeps clutter about the old story away from the new developments.



    edit:

    I disagree. It's a forum software problem, not a social problem.
    and MANY Internet forums have similar rules -- Battle.net to name just one notable example.
    Last edited by Melcar; October 29th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

  4. #4
    Elder Arcanist
    Danenel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,386
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    In the example in this forum though, a new user came and read the year old rules thread, and asked a question about swearing behavior. Perfectly appropriate IMO.

    It was a later poster jumping in restarting an argument from earlier in the same said thread that IMO, was the "necro bump".



    Danenel Plasmaweaver

    Retired 65 Wizard of Eternal Sovereign, Tholuxe Paells

  5. #5
    Systems Administrator
    Nadiar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    16,177
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Its pretty easy to mod the forum so that old threads auto close.

  6. #6
    Formerly: Xlarge
    Forum Arcanist
    Criminal in APB

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,491

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    I think that necro bumps don't happen often enough to warrant this, but a rule be made that you need to declare a necro bump by message a mod or admin to have the thread labeled as a necro bump.

    In some cases it doesn't even need to be - IE: Someone gets word a movie is being made. 1 year latter a trailer comes out. There is no reason that thread shouldn't contain the entire conversation about that movie.

    I think the best why to handle this is if there was something that would allow the dates of post to have a different color (yellow/gold would be good) so that its easier for the reader to see that the post is at least so and so old.

  7. #7
    Elder Arcanist
    Danenel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,386
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbaar View Post
    In some cases it doesn't even need to be - IE: Someone gets word a movie is being made. 1 year latter a trailer comes out. There is no reason that thread shouldn't contain the entire conversation about that movie.
    LOL, thats exactly the case that first came to my mind about legit necro thread bumps.



    Danenel Plasmaweaver

    Retired 65 Wizard of Eternal Sovereign, Tholuxe Paells

  8. #8
    Elder Arcanist
    Layonya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,607

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Do we seriously have a problem with a bunch of people necro'ing threads? I haven't noticed such a thing. I don't think this needs to be done, especially not to harass one new member. Also, some forums, like cracked.com for instance, will lock a new thread if it has been discussed elsewhere. You are expected to search, and bump old threads when you find one talking about what you would like to discuss. Different people do things different ways, so just because someone does it one way doesn't make that the right way.

  9. #9
    Chair warmer, Sector 7G
    Alikat Astrae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    If this thread isn't locked, I am going to bump it one year from now.

  10. #10
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,232

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Quote Originally Posted by Melcar
    What needs to be said in an Old thread that couldn't be said in a new thread with a link to the old?
    The Maavi Marmara thread is a perfect example. After the thread was dead for quite a while the UN report came out and was posted back into it. It was very convenient to have it attached to the rest of the thread for reference, and I hope to see the thread again when the Israeli committee issues their report.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danenel View Post
    In the example in this forum though, a new user came and read the year old rules thread, and asked a question about swearing behavior. Perfectly appropriate IMO.

    It was a later poster jumping in restarting an argument from earlier in the same said thread that IMO, was the "necro bump".
    And those posters appeared to be confused by the age of the old argument, which is why I call it a forum software problem. If the old posts were clearly marked old (say, made darker) and the default behavior was to start the reader at the new posts, the above would be very unlikely imo.

  11. #11
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,232

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    Its pretty easy to mod the forum so that old threads auto close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbaar View Post
    I think that necro bumps don't happen often enough to warrant this, but a rule be made that you need to declare a necro bump by message a mod or admin to have the thread labeled as a necro bump.

    In some cases it doesn't even need to be - IE: Someone gets word a movie is being made. 1 year latter a trailer comes out. There is no reason that thread shouldn't contain the entire conversation about that movie.

    I think the best why to handle this is if there was something that would allow the dates of post to have a different color (yellow/gold would be good) so that its easier for the reader to see that the post is at least so and so old.
    Hmm, would it be as easy to automatically prepend the year and month to the title of necro bumped threads? [Apr 2008] Blah Blah Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikat Astrae View Post
    If this thread isn't locked, I am going to bump it one year from now.
    I doubt you'll remember a year from now - might I suggest looking for forgotten promises of a similar nature and fulfilling them now for the people who forgot instead? =)

    Edit: The limerick flame thread was another good phoenix of a thread.
    Last edited by Deabn; October 29th, 2010 at 04:16 PM.

  12. #12
    Buckeye Wizard
    Nerkahia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,322

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    I think the ability to resurrect old threads reduces the potential for repitition of talking points and arguments myself. And I don't observe much of a problem with them that really dictates a policy change. *shrugs*
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

    "Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

  13. #13
    Elder Arcanist
    Ackar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,666

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    This is Graffes, we have many, many Criminal, Political, Legal threads. Along with many threads about upcoming shows, movies, and novels.

    It can take fucking YEARS for convictions, acquittals, sentencing, appeals, and other forms of closure to these cases. And when it comes to upcoming shows, movies, or novels; they can spend years if not decades in development hell.

    There is no reason to start new threads for every little step these cases, movies, shows, novels make toward completion.
    Last edited by Maledict; October 30th, 2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: removed swearing / attack

  14. #14
    Elder Arcanist
    Ackar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,666

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    And the nuisance post count necroing already falls within existing rules about post farming/spamming.

  15. #15
    No prison can hold me!
    Schezar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,351

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    What Ackar said minus the expletives. Allowing old threads to be revived when new things happen in those cases is useful.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

  16. #16
    PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!
    Daph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,814

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    IMO, locking threads for this reason is silly. I agree with Layonya...its not like we have this happening all the time.

  17. #17
    Elder Arcanist
    Sehra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,741

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Necro threads are, at worst, annoying. At best they are informative, enlightening, and provide context to a discussion that wouldn't have any otherwise. Your proposed newborn thread would presumably refer back to the original locked thread anyway...

  18. #18
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4,988

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Quote Originally Posted by Schezar View Post
    What Ackar said minus the expletives. Allowing old threads to be revived when new things happen in those cases is useful.
    This

    Also, I just really don't see this as more than micromanaging a minor annoyance, at best.

  19. #19
    Elder Arcanist
    Maledict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,808

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    A note please folks on maintaining stands of civility in these forums. If you can't argue about a proposed rules change civilly, then you need to re-think your post.

  20. #20
    Mr. Angsty Spice
    Melcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    11,823

    Re: Form Rules: Thread Necroing

    Aren't all the rules pretty much about annoyances?

    spam? Annoyance. Problem yes, but just an annoyance. -- Still a rule.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ackar
    It can take fucking YEARS for convictions, acquittals, sentencing, appeals, and other forms of closure to these cases.
    So, when the news organizations that you steal your content from put out the update to the story, they just paste it to the bottom of the old one like you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ackar
    And the nuisance post count necroing already falls within existing rules about post farming/spamming.
    Ok, I was just trying to be comprehensive.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sehra
    provide context to a discussion that wouldn't have any otherwise.
    and my viewpoint is that a discussion from 2 years ago, is a completely different discussion - with different persons, some of whom no longer even post here, thus has no context in common with the current discussion, and only serves to muddle the issue, and create confusion.

    Unless you like posts being brought back to life by Grindel saying "I told you so".




    This is just something I've been seeing for some months now, and have commented on a couple of times. Is it a Major problem? No, is it an annoyance? well, to me - obviously the rest of you haven't noticed, fair enough.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •