Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One issue re Lunal

Chair warmer, Sector 7G

Re: One issue re Lunal

Lunal's probably relieved as hell to not have to deal with it for a few months. Anyone who thinks that Moderating is happy fun time yay I won ought to be banned from ever running. Moderating means making a decision that guarantees you will make someone mad, almost every day. There are no nude Moderator sex orgies. They do not even have a special washroom or a welcoming fruit basket or any perks whatsoever. Why do you people keep acting as if it's some special prize? It's a DUTY. You accept the nomination for the same reason you accept a jury summons: Duty demands that we all do our parts when called upon.

Check the
    Track Record
    Blog Entries

I have bad news, good news, and bad news.

The bad news is the number I have for him is an old number.
    The good news is that using the horrible powers at my disposal I have located everything about him up to the exact longitude and latitude of his home.
    The bad news is that I'm too chickenshit to call him at this number and harass him, since it'd basically be an intrusion on his privacy imho since this wasn't a number freely given to me.

Sorry guys, I may be an evil jerk but I'm not up for dishonoring a friend that way.

p.s. yes I have all that information on most any of you I want to have it on, unless you're some goon living overseas. Think long and hard about that before you cast your No vote for me

Formerly: Tzakapotek
    Celine Dijon
    Blog Entries

Think long and hard? I'm getting tired of making extra food on the off chance you drop in.
    I go missing
    No longer exist
    One day
    I hope
    I’m someone you miss

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Voca
    But folks may be right that complicating things is undesirable.
    Agreed. Here's one example: had I known Lunal was running, I would have voted "yes" for him. However, since I only wish to give a set number of people a "yes" vote, that would also change a "yes" vote for someone else to a "no" vote. I've already voted, and I don't believe that ANYONE should be monkeying around with the votes once cast.

Let him have the time off from modding, so he can forget what a crap job it is and be all happy to volunteer the next time we have an election!

Elder Arcanist
    The other opinion

New elections in 6 months again or so, let him run again at that time if he wishes so.

I understand the desire to put someone there that does a good job and knows what it entails, but we can survive for another 6 months without him I think.
    Terry Pratchett: A European says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with me? An American says: I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?
    Torcer Arcana: There are times I really love the Dutch.
    Zedd: Bran, I think you exhibit moonbat qualities at times
    ?????????: Never argue with a stupid man, because he will drag you down to his level and beat you because of his experience.

Lost Bard
    Even More Lost Bard

Adding him at this point has the appearance of impropriety even if not the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    Let him have the time off from modding, so he can forget what a crap job it is and be all happy to volunteer the next time we have an election!
    Exactly this.

Entropy happens

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    Agreed. Here's one example: had I known Lunal was running, I would have voted "yes" for him. However, since I only wish to give a set number of people a "yes" vote, that would also change a "yes" vote for someone else to a "no" vote.
    Not to derail this thread too much, but could you explain the logic behind that, Delores? I'm not sure I understand your reasoning.

Check the
    Track Record
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandor View Post
    Think long and hard? I'm getting tired of making extra food on the off chance you drop in.
    Touche', sir.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Branaman Starbinder View Post
    New elections in 6 months again or so, let him run again at that time if he wishes so.

I understand the desire to put someone there that does a good job and knows what it entails, but we can survive for another 6 months without him I think.
    I compel the forum to follow this sage decorum.

Passes Turing Test

Alright, case made. Since we can't get a hold of him then he's off the ballot for this swing around.

Thanks for the helpful comments.
    "Computer science is a continuation of logic by other means" -- Georg Gottlob

www.Neutrality.ca

Passes Turing Test

Oh, and I'll take this discussion to be precedent setting: in future if you can't accept the nomination for any reason, regardless of the nature of the reason, then you don't go on the ballot.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

However, since I only wish to give a set number of people a "yes" vote
    Why? That doesn't make much sense.

PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!

Quote Originally Posted by Zarbonius View Post
    Not to derail this thread too much, but could you explain the logic behind that, Delores? I'm not sure I understand your reasoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamin View Post
    Why? That doesn't make much sense.
    What does it matter why a person votes the way they do? If that's they way they feel compelled to do so, isn't that good enough?
    What I don't understand is why anyone feels the need to understand what makes someone else tick, unless it directly effects them.
    Is there really a need to find logic in everything?
    And Delores, I'm not presuming to answer for you, but I felt compelled to respond based on my own feelings.
    No need for anyone to respond to this, as I'm not seeking answers, just venting a bit.

Entropy happens

Quote Originally Posted by Daph View Post
    What does it matter why a person votes the way they do? If that's they way they feel compelled to do so, isn't that good enough?
    What I don't understand is why anyone feels the need to understand what makes someone else tick, unless it directly effects them.
    And Delores, I'm not presuming to answer for you, but I felt compelled to respond based on my own feelings.
    No need for anyone to respond to this, as I'm not seeking answers, just venting a bit.
    /shrug, I'm curious.

Delores is voting in a way that makes sense under one of the various systems we discussed, but that doesn't really make sense under this system. I don't have an objection to that - I just want to make sure that he's not choosing to do so because of a misunderstanding of how the system works.

I have an interest in this since I was fairly involved in the election discussions. I may have mis-communicated something during those discussions that led to him voting this way. I assume Eamin's motivations are similar, although I can't speak for him.

I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities, Daph.

PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!

Quote Originally Posted by Zarbonius View Post
    /shrug, I'm curious.

Delores is voting in a way that makes sense under one of the various systems we discussed, but that doesn't really make sense under this system. I don't have an objection to that - I just want to make sure that he's not choosing to do so because of a misunderstanding of how the system works.

I have an interest in this since I was fairly involved in the election discussions. I may have mis-communicated something during those discussions that led to him voting this way. I assume Eamin's motivations are similar, although I can't speak for him.

I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities, Daph.
    LOL - I'm not at all offended...just tired and cranky, I think.
    BTW, I thought Delores was a 'she'? And something tells me she totally understands the system and how it works. But of course I could also be wrong.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

Because he's using his own idiosyncratic voting habits as though they were a reason not to allow Lunal's candidacy. It's like saying "We shouldn't allow Lunal to be a candidate because I do not like voting for people whose names begin with L".

In this case he's making an argument about board policy. I don't think it's that unreasonable to question the logical basis for that argument.

Check the
    Track Record
    Blog Entries

It's perfectly OK how anyone votes this poll within the rules. There were a couple people I didn't cast a vote on because honestly I have no idea one way or another how they'd make out as a mod. Limiting to X people is just as valid a tack to take.
    Well that's what you get for doing business with a time traveling economist. - Aennyil
    Let it go - this too shall pass. - OK Go

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

I don't care how people vote. But the fact that allowing Lunal's candidacy would interfere with people's illogical voting patterns is not a valid reason not to allow Lunal's candidacy.

Mangina at large.

Custom user title changed to reflect this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tx4j...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Zarbonius
    I want there to be as few mods as possible, to increase accountability and limit potential abuse of powers, while having enough mods to get the job done. It is therefore in my best interests to vote "no" on as many mods as I can, to limit their numbers, while still promoting the team I feel would do the best job with a "yes" vote. Since under the rules if we don't get five mods we'll have a by-election, I'm not concerned about ending up with too few if everyone were to follow the same method. This is why I earlier asked how many people, in the opinion of past mods, would be minimally required to run things: so I could give a "yes" to that number, in the hope that they would get in and nobody else would.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamin
    Because he's using his own idiosyncratic voting habits as though they were a reason not to allow Lunal's candidacy. It's like saying "We shouldn't allow Lunal to be a candidate because I do not like voting for people whose names begin with L".
    Well, since "it's against the rules we agreed to follow so why would we even consider this shit" seemed obvious, I decided to list a personal reason.

Entropy happens

Ah, gotcha - that makes sense, Delores.

One of the suggestions offered way back when was to limit the number of mods by just taking the top X people who scored > 60%, starting with the highest approval rating and working down from there. In lieu of that though, your strategy makes sense.

Cheers,

Zarb.