Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One issue re Lunal

Passes Turing Test

One issue re Lunal

Most of you may not realize that Lunal has been absent from Graffes for about a month because he gave up the internet for Lent. I kid you not.

This means he hasn't been around to indicate his interest in running again or not.

My inclination is to allow for a special case by-election vote when he returns if he wants to run again. If I had remembered sooner I would have just put the election off for an extra week, but it's too late for that now.

What do folks think?
    "Computer science is a continuation of logic by other means" -- Georg Gottlob

www.Neutrality.ca

Elder Arcanist

Re: One issue re Lunal

I think that's reasonable.

Computer says no

I think it's reasonable enough, but probably not worth the amount of crying that will happen about it.

PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!

I knew he was sans net for lent because he posted it on FB, but I totally forgot he had been a moderator all this time. It sounds reasonable to me.

Elder Arcanist

I think if we start adding special cases to the election process now then we're going to make it more vulnerable.

PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!

Lent ends 4/4/10, so technically he should be back before 4/5/10 when voting ends. Is that really that much of a special case?

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Daph View Post
    Lent ends 4/4/10, so technically he should be back before 4/5/10 when voting ends. Is that really that much of a special case?
    Nominations were taken until March 23rd and he was not nominated. Voting has started. Yes that's actually quite a significant special case.

Passes Turing Test

Actually he was sorta nominated, in that a couple of people renominated the entire current team.

But folks may be right that complicating things is undesirable.

www.Neutrality.ca

Elder Arcanist

The rules stated that a nominee must accept the nomination in order to be voted on. I would be OK with a special exception in this case _if_ he has accepted the nomination.

Elder Arcanist

Has an attempt been made to contact him by other means? For the last election, when Dmitry was unable to post, he was still allowed to accept his nomination via PM. So the "precedent" for exceptions has already been set.

Check the
    Track Record
    Blog Entries

I'll see if I can scrape up Scott's number this evening. I hope I don't weird him out too much, almost as much as I hope I don't have to endure another chorus of "mayo voice" from another source O_o Hopefully a report back from me on his wishes would suffice?
    Last edited by Grindel; March 30th, 2010 at 02:03 PM.

Passes Turing Test

Quote Originally Posted by Yaxa View Post
    Has an attempt been made to contact him by other means? For the last election, when Dmitry was unable to post, he was still allowed to accept his nomination via PM. So the "precedent" for exceptions has already been set.
    Since the only means I have to contact him involve the internet, I haven't attempted to contact him. If Grindel has a number for him then that is great.

www.Neutrality.ca

PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludarian View Post
    Nominations were taken until March 23rd and he was not nominated. Voting has started. Yes that's actually quite a significant special case.
    While I disagree, and do feel he was nominated, I agree that he hasn't been able to accept the nomination, and based on that if we waited until he did, there wouldn't be sufficient time to vote. And that's based on the fact that he would need to log in and do so on Sunday...pretty tight time frame.

Entropy happens

I'd be fine with adding a late poll for Lunal, if Grindel manages to get a hold of him in the next day or two (and if Lunal is interested in running again).

Yeah, it would be an exception to the rules, but I think it's in keeping with the intent of the rule (i.e. that nominees must confirm that they wish to run), even if the timing is poor. Polls close April 6th, right?

PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!

If they opened 3/29, and are to run for 1 week, wouldn't the final day to vote be 4/4?

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

I think it's reasonable to let him run, if that's what he wants.

Entropy happens

Quote Originally Posted by Daph View Post
    If they opened 3/29, and are to run for 1 week, wouldn't the final day to vote be 4/4?
    Hmm.. good point. I don't see "this poll closes on dd/mm" anywhere on the polls like they used to show - I was guessing the 6th based on the dates on Voca's announcement (Mar 29 - Apr 6).

EDIT - Voca posted them last night at pretty much midnight (Eastern), so I'm thinking today (30th) is the 1st "official" day of polling.
    -- I'd rather have a Complex than a Simplex

PassiveAggressiveApostle
    Don't push me!

Quote Originally Posted by Zarbonius View Post
    Hmm.. good point. I don't see "this poll closes on dd/mm" anywhere on the polls like they used to show - I was guessing the 6th based on the dates on Voca's announcement (Mar 29 - Apr 6).

EDIT - Voca posted them last night at pretty much midnight (Eastern), so I'm thinking today (30th) is the 1st "official" day of polling.
    This is the info I was using:

Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    A yes/no poll will be run for each candidate. To be elected, a candidate must:

(a) Receive at least 60% yes votes.

(b) Receive a total number of votes (yes + no) equal to at least 50% of the total number of people casting yes votes on any candidate.

(e.g., if a total of 100 people vote on yes for some candidate or other, then to be elected, a candidate must recieve 50 votes, at least 30 of which must be yes votes)

If this method does not result in at least 5 moderators then a by-election will be run.

Eligibility to vote: Board members must have an account in existence before March 1 2010 to be eligible to vote, and must have made at least 50 posts. IP checking will be used to ensure no board member uses multiple accounts to vote. No results will be final until the technical admin, Nadiar, has checked for vote stuffing or multiple account voting.

Timeline: People will have a week from today to volunteer/accept a nomination to run as moderator. Voting will then begin on the 29th of March and run for one week.

I will start another thread for volunteers/nominations. Please keep them all in that thread, for sake of my sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    Actually he was sorta nominated, in that a couple of people renominated the entire current team.

But folks may be right that complicating things is undesirable.
    We should change all the rules all the time. Who gives a fuck? You people just make shit up as you go along anyway. What percentage will Eamin be choosing this time btw? Or do you not want to talk about that until you can see what percentage he needs to make the cutoff to get rid of the people he doesn't want again.?

Quote Originally Posted by Eamin View Post
    I think it's reasonable to let him run, if that's what he wants.
    I think it's reasonable to follow the rules but them hey, you obviously don't.