Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 40808687888990
Results 1,781 to 1,786 of 1786

Thread: Tales from Techsupport

Elder Arcanist

Re: Tales from Techsupport

9.9/10

I'd give you the last tenth if she called you then questioned your identity.

Mr. Angsty Spice

downloading random DLL repair apps is a safe method of troubleshooting
    Of course it is! It's how I fixed my home computer last week!!!!
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

On 12/21, I submitted an escalation to repair a data file that needed to be exported.
    This is unique for four reasons:
    1 - The file being exported isn't supposed to be, based on its return type and its year, but because of extenuating tax circumstances (aren't they always) the customer needed it to be exported
    2 - I got the same exact error when attempting the export, and usually I don't
    3 - I wrote the book on the errors and their fixes (even though I didn't write the export app)
    4 - I didn't find out until after submitting the escalation that the developer who did in fact write the app went on vacation until the new year.

The customer called on 1/2 requesting an update - but the developer hadn't come back into the office yet. At this point, my manager is getting antsy and starts branching out to other devs trying to find who can dig through this issue to resolve the problem.
    On 1/8 (yesterday) the developer logs onto his computer long enough before I sign out for the day to send me a message that basically says "I got the escalation, I'll look at it". Then he signed out.
    This morning I log in to find an email with the exported file with the sole answer of "It worked for me", so I send it off to the customer with an apology for the delay and think nothing more of it.

I get an IM from the Product Manager...
    PM: That escalation was resolved
    Me: I saw, I sent the resulting file to the customer
    PM: Did the dev say what he did to fix it?
    Me: No. But I don't have three weeks to wait for a response, so I just sent it over with an apology for the delay.
    PM: Send me a copy of the file to examine.
    Me: does so
    PM: Turns out I get the same error as you
    Me: Yeah, weird
    PM: fifteen minutes later So the developer tells me he had to rebuild the export EXE to handle new data tables present in the primary tax app from which the export pulls from
    Me: So why didn't he say that, instead of responding that he exported with no issue? I could have sent the customer a "cover our butts" kind of response, notwithstanding that he was on vacation for three weeks
    PM: That makes too much sense

Mr. Angsty Spice

Me in December 2017: Never ever ever give access to our users through the default administrative shares on windows. Because if YOU do; You have given them full control over the computer; You have either elevated their privileges to Admin or you have allowed them to masquerade as "one of us IT staff". They can use that connection to piggy back to the server and Connect ANYWAY THEY WANT. They can create their own admin users at that point if you do that. They can format the C: drive, they can do anything.

Tech2 to me: Hey, why can this user delete files in this location?

Me: Remember that thing a month ago I said never to do? Yeah, you did it.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Me: On the left, you'll find (description 1). On the right, you'll find (description 2).
    Customer: I HAVE A DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITY AND I FIND YOUR USE OF LATERAL DIRECTIONS INSULTING

What the actual fuck.

Mr. Angsty Spice

Customer: I HAVE A DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITY AND I FIND YOUR USE OF LATERAL DIRECTIONS INSULTING
    Response: I HAVE A DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITY! DEALING WITH MORON FUCKING CUSTOMERS TRIGGERS ME AND MAKES ME STAB THEM IN THE FUCKING THROAT!